Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Carkner 'bertuzzi's' Brian Boyle - Sticking Up For Boyle Punching Karlsson Last Game

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#31 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

absolutely brutal. league needs to suspend him big time. i dont care about what he did to karlsson, this was much worse. the league needs to put their foot down because if they dont you're going to have players doing this to stars.

Omg, u just don't get it!

The only star involved in this thing is Karlsson. If protecting the stars is what u are after, you should support what Carkner did. Just because Boyle (self proclaimed tough guy) chose to stand with his hands in his pockets, does not make him a victim.

Grapes is right. Boyle had it coming- case closed.

#32 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:46 AM

I don't think we wou

It's going to be interesting the next time we play the blackhawks (hopefully this playoffs!). With Boston, I don't think many teams would be willing to challenge them in this type of brawl. They simply have too many heavy hitters.

Ottawa is one of the teams that can stand up to anything the Bruins can throw at them, after they got manhandled by the Ducks in the finals they began building a team that will not be bullied or pushed around. Carkner, Neil, Konopka, and Kuba, Smith and Foligno can mix it up pretty good as well.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#33 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,900 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

So...

Ask a opposing player for a fight and opposing player declines. Check
Punch opposing player in the face bare fist while he still has his gloves on. Check
Pin him down on the ice and punch him 5 more times because clearly a player who has fought in the NHL before is not in a defenseless position when he is pinned down on the ice. Check

Good on him?

:picard:

Remember this? Matt Bradley fights a lot too so obviously he is never defenseless by your theory. Bradley also actually accepts this fight just never gets set so he certainly was expecting it. And Carcillo forgets to follow it up with 5 extra punches when Bradley is down. Yet, Carcillo was suspended. But somehow Carkner didn't go way over the line?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y7_iGqQ5ks

Yup, the NHL refuses to give 20 game suspensions to detour obvious headshots. And frankly this bullying is one step down from that. You're probably from the younger generation that was raised to fink on your bully. I'm from the generation that was taught to take care of you're problem. Carkner solved the problem. I get it, you love the rangers, but Boyle wasn't innocent. And if he has the nerve to refuse what is the deterrent from going after stars???. Carkner did the right thing for his team, the right thing in hockey and has the right playoff mentality. I know it wouldn't fly in the Starbucks or mcdonalds that u work in, but the world is bigger than Vancouver & things are done alot different in the majority of the world.

PS: if Chicago woulda responded to Daniel this way instead of headshoting him....his face might hurt abit, but he woulda missed 1 or 2 games at the most.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37, 15 April 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#34 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

Perfect. Standing tall totally gets it.

Yup, the NHL refuses to give 20 game suspensions to detour obvious headshots. And frankly this bullying is one step down from that. You're probably from the younger generation that was raised to fink on your bully. I'm from the generation that was taught to take care of you're problem. Carkner solved the problem. I get it, you love the rangers, but Boyle wasn't innocent. And if he has the nerve to refuse what is the deterrent from going after stars???. Carkner did the right thing for his team, the right thing in hockey and has the right playoff mentality. I know it wouldn't fly in the Starbucks or mcdonalds that u work in, but the world is bigger than Vancouver & things are done alot different in the majority of the world.

PS: if Chicago woulda responded to Daniel this way instead of headshoting him....his face might hurt abit, but he woulda missed 1 or 2 games at the most.

#35 red&white

red&white

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I love how the ref/linesman just stands there with his hand up as Boyle is inches and seconds away from being paralyzed for life.

This league is a joke for the way in which it polices dirty hits, not only like these but for what Boyle did to Karlsson last game, and as a result anger builds up and players feel like they have to take things into their own hands which should never be the case or someone's career could be over.

Shanahan and Bettman are getting embarassed big time by scrums like these which should never erupt if they policed the game properly.

LOL, inches and seconds from paralysis? You're being way too over dramatic here

#36 greenbean30

greenbean30

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

I would hardly call it "getting jumped" when he knew it was coming, and chose to stand there ( or eventually lie there) with his hands in his pockets. feline move by Boyle after what he did to Karlsson.

As for Dubinsky, 3rd man is what it is. Ejection is correct.

I agree with you on the not getting jumped part, I disagree with calling Dubinsky 3rd man in.
It wasn't a fight, Boyle never dropped the gloves. He got sucker punched and dropped. I don't think Dubinsky should've gotten ejected for sticking up for his team mate under these circumstances. If they had both dropped the gloves and Dubinsky jumped in, then I would agree with the call.

#37 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:57 AM

I agree with you on the not getting jumped part, I disagree with calling Dubinsky 3rd man in.
It wasn't a fight, Boyle never dropped the gloves. He got sucker punched and dropped. I don't think Dubinsky should've gotten ejected for sticking up for his team mate under these circumstances. If they had both dropped the gloves and Dubinsky jumped in, then I would agree with the call.

Dubs was 3rd, the math is easy. Boyle roughs up a star rookie (total mismatch) and then won't answer the bell when he gets called on it ... Not cool.

Ask yourself why the linesman didn't stop Carkner ... Could it be that EVERYONE watching understands
that Boyle was simply getting what he had coming? Everyone except you, that is.

Edited by Real deal - Stan Smyl, 15 April 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#38 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,659 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Get rid of the instigator and let the players police themselves. NHL is doing a terrible job.

#39 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

Get rid of the instigator and let the players police themselves. NHL is doing a terrible job.

Love it!! Thank you.

#40 greenbean30

greenbean30

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Dubs was 3rd, the math is easy. Boyle roughs up a star rookie (total mismatch) and then won't answer the bell when he gets called on it ... Not cool.

Ask yourself why the linesman didn't stop Carkner ... Could it be that EVERYONE watching understands
that Boyle was simply getting what he had coming? Everyone except you, that is.

You see, I do understand and no where in my statement did I say he didn't deserve it. I think hockey is getting pussified, and it really shouldn't be.
But the 3rd man rule is for a fight, a fight requires 2 people. Last night Boyle decided he wasn't going to fight, and he turtled, thus I don't think Dubinsky should have been kicked out.
I'm not arguing Boyle was in the right, I think he got what he deserved. I'm arguing that Dubinsky didn't deserve to be kicked out of the game. Two totally different things there bud.

#41 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Carkner could have and maybe should have punched him harder
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#42 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

You see, I do understand and no where in my statement did I say he didn't deserve it. I think hockey is getting pussified, and it really shouldn't be.
But the 3rd man rule is for a fight, a fight requires 2 people. Last night Boyle decided he wasn't going to fight, and he turtled, thus I don't think Dubinsky should have been kicked out.
I'm not arguing Boyle was in the right, I think he got what he deserved. I'm arguing that Dubinsky didn't deserve to be kicked out of the game. Two totally different things there bud.

Actually it doesn't require a fight

46.16 Third Man In - A game misconduct penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, shall be imposed on any player who is the first to intervene (third man in) in an altercation already in progress except when a match penalty is being imposed in the original altercation. This penalty is in addition to any other penalties incurred in the same incident.
This rule also applies to subsequent players who elect to intervene in the same or other altercations during the same stoppage of play.

Generally, this rule is applied when a fight occurs.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#43 Haikara

Haikara

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

If the league suspends Carkner, they are only fixing their orginal mistake: letting Karlsson get punched repeatedly.

If the league protects its players in the first place, the enforcers don't have to go after the opponent and implement their own justice.

The league needs to instill fear into the players so you don't have players running around elbowing and punching each other in the head, absolutely classless and disrespectful.
Posted Image

#44 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

LOL The ref didnt even do sh*t. He waited and put his arm up. LOL What a joke

Posted Image

#45 greenbean30

greenbean30

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

Actually it doesn't require a fight

46.16 Third Man In - A game misconduct penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, shall be imposed on any player who is the first to intervene (third man in) in an altercation already in progress except when a match penalty is being imposed in the original altercation. This penalty is in addition to any other penalties incurred in the same incident.
This rule also applies to subsequent players who elect to intervene in the same or other altercations during the same stoppage of play.

Generally, this rule is applied when a fight occurs.

Pretty sure altercation in this sense means fight. Because if it didn't then you would see guys getting thrown out for being the 3rd guy into a scrum. If that starts happening then this sport will be officially a pansies sport.

Edited by greenbean30, 15 April 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#46 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Pretty sure altercation in this sense means fight. Because if it didn't then you would see guys getting thrown out for being the 3rd guy into a scrum. If that starts happening then this sport will be officially a pansies sport.

Not really, two guys shoving and facewashing each other is an altercation, two guys jousting with sticks is an altercation, referee descretion on whether to throw the player out, thats why it is rarely called. I think the ref tossed a guy from each hoping to settle things down and that was the easiest rule to apply.
Blaise Pascal

#47 greenbean30

greenbean30

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

Not really, two guys shoving and facewashing each other is an altercation, two guys jousting with sticks is an altercation, referee descretion on whether to throw the player out, thats why it is rarely called. I think the ref tossed a guy from each hoping to settle things down and that was the easiest rule to apply.

I still disagree with the call, to me those are scrums and nobody ever gets tossed in those. Those happen every single game with nobody getting thrown out. But if it was actually a fight and a third guy jumped in, I'd have no problem with it.
In the playoffs you don't just start making calls that never get called, the consequences are too great. Look at Game 1 on the LA series, Kes gets called for snow showering? That happens every game with a warning, but they decide to call it in the playoffs? crap reffing.

#48 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

I still disagree with the call, to me those are scrums and nobody ever gets tossed in those. Those happen every single game with nobody getting thrown out. But if it was actually a fight and a third guy jumped in, I'd have no problem with it.
In the playoffs you don't just start making calls that never get called, the consequences are too great. Look at Game 1 on the LA series, Kes gets called for snow showering? That happens every game with a warning, but they decide to call it in the playoffs? crap reffing.

I agree the reffing is crap, no excuse for Boyle jumping Karlsson and getting offsetting minors either, if the refs had done their job in game one, or if Boyle had the stones to face someone his own size there wouldnb't have been a problem. Personally I love to see a bully take a beating, Carkner deserves a reward IMO.
Blaise Pascal

#49 Paul Bissonnette

Paul Bissonnette

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

He was still punching Boyle when he was on the ground, wow. I hope John Scott beats the crap out of Carkner the next game.

#50 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Kida like Boyle did to Karlsson? Quit trying to sell Boyle as a defensless victim cause no one is buying. Boyle is the schoolyard bully who beat up the smallest kid in the playground then chickened out when the kids big brother came looking for him, he was given every opportunity to defend himself, instead he took the Sean Avery route, start something, then run away when it comes back on you.

Thank you. Everyone is trying to compare this incident to the bertuzzi incident and it's not even close. He deserved it, he was going after smaller skill players on the senators and thought he was a tough guy and got put into his place. Some people are acting like Carkner was throwing haymakers to boyles head on the ice or something. I wish someone would to the same to Keith, he went out of his way to attempt to sucker punch another player and take his head off. Keith deserves the same treatment but the Canucks won't do anything about it. Even if we do end up playing the Blackhawks in a series keith will not be threatened and will go untouched.

#51 Real deal - Stan Smyl

Real deal - Stan Smyl

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Thank you. Everyone is trying to compare this incident to the bertuzzi incident and it's not even close. He deserved it, he was going after smaller skill players on the senators and thought he was a tough guy and got put into his place. Some people are acting like Carkner was throwing haymakers to boyles head on the ice or something. I wish someone would to the same to Keith, he went out of his way to attempt to sucker punch another player and take his head off. Keith deserves the same treatment but the Canucks won't do anything about it. Even if we do end up playing the Blackhawks in a series keith will not be threatened and will go untouched.

For sure!! It's better when the players take care of things themselves. Boyle getting a tuneup was the right thing.

However, if we are going to compare the Keith thing, I agree with "standing tall's post... when Sedin took the late cheap shot on Keith, they should have dropped the gloves right there. Sedin would have a sore face and a valuable lesson, but would be available to play in the shc. Taking fighting out of the game is actually a astep backward IMHO.

#52 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

LOL and Cherry says he did the right thing :picard:

Cherry is right. He did the right thing. You can't punch the best players on the other team and get away with it. This why the Canucks lost in the finals. Instead of beating the crap out of Marchand for those rabbit punches, we sat on our hands and took our beating like little girls. I guess you like to see that, then to see your teammates stand up to the opposing player. NHL is a joke league and has joke referees, so you have to take care of the business on your own. This is the reason why I liked Big Bert.

Posted Image

#53 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

LOL The ref didnt even do sh*t. He waited and put his arm up. LOL What a joke

What do you expect? Its NHE, National Hockey Entertainment. Even WWE refs intervene in scripted matches lol! Neal didn't even get a penalty for his blindside hit to Couturier and Keith gets a measly 5 game suspension for knocking out D. Sedin. Who knows if D. Sedin will ever be the same. I said it all along, Mike Gillis needs to hire Mike Tyson to take care of the business. Have Tyson on the bench and no one will be touched on our team lol

Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.