The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Andrew Shaw Headshot On Mike Smith

Tm085

Are you guys serious?? Did you actually watch the contact between Shaw and Smith?

Smith knew Shaw was coming and he closed the gap between himself and the boards so Shaw would make contact. then he made sure his head was down and he was bent over so that the contact would be made to his upper body. Once contact was made, he flung his head violently backwards, his glove and stick went flying and he laid whithering on the ice for several minutes while the training staff attended to him.

Once the 5 minute+ game misconduct penalty was called, Smith got up, brushed himself off and stayed in the game. It was a total dive and the guy should have won an oscar for that performance.

Now I am not a Hawks fan, but I am a fan of the game and a coach, and that was a classic dive.

I thought the league had concussion protocols that each team had to follow if a player has suffered a head injury...obviously not because with the amount of time that Smith spent whithering on the ice, he should have been forced to go to the quiet room for his own safety.

I would be absolutely shocked if Shaw got suspended for this...the call on the ice was enough IMO. With all the other crap that went on in playoff games last night (Carkner and Hagelin in the Ranger/Sens game and the chippy stuff that went on between STL and SJ), it seems like Shanny will have a busy next few days sorting it all out.

Shaw's contact with Smith was a penalty, but should have been 2 minutes, not 5 and a game, but it is what it is. Hopefully Shanny will see what a total dive Smith took and will consider Shaw's time served.

If Weber didn't get suspended for trying to put Zetterberg's head through the glass, there is no way that Shaw should be suspended. Shaw's contact was unintentional unlike Weber, and Shaw is a rookie with no history with the league.

Are you guys serious?? Did you actually watch the contact between Shaw and Smith?

Smith knew Shaw was coming and he closed the gap between himself and the boards so Shaw would make contact. then he made sure his head was down and he was bent over so that the contact would be made to his upper body. Once contact was made, he flung his head violently backwards, his glove and stick went flying and he laid whithering on the ice for several minutes while the training staff attended to him.

Once the 5 minute+ game misconduct penalty was called, Smith got up, brushed himself off and stayed in the game. It was a total dive and the guy should have won an oscar for that performance.

Now I am not a Hawks fan, but I am a fan of the game and a coach, and that was a classic dive.

I thought the league had concussion protocols that each team had to follow if a player has suffered a head injury...obviously not because with the amount of time that Smith spent whithering on the ice, he should have been forced to go to the quiet room for his own safety.

I would be absolutely shocked if Shaw got suspended for this...the call on the ice was enough IMO. With all the other crap that went on in playoff games last night (Carkner and Hagelin in the Ranger/Sens game and the chippy stuff that went on between STL and SJ), it seems like Shanny will have a busy next few days sorting it all out.

Shaw's contact with Smith was a penalty, but should have been 2 minutes, not 5 and a game, but it is what it is. Hopefully Shanny will see what a total dive Smith took and will consider Shaw's time served.

If Weber didn't get suspended for trying to put Zetterberg's head through the glass, there is no way that Shaw should be suspended. Shaw's contact was unintentional unlike Weber, and Shaw is a rookie with no history with the league.

This ^ The fact that he was still playing the puck and was crowding the boards and using his body to shield the puck is exactly the reason this rule should be changed. Where did you want Shaw to go? Is he just supposed to be like Oh the goalie is playing the puck he should be able to stand there take as long as he needs to to get it out. Stupid rule. They have the crease. You want to come out and play the puck then you should be treated as the 3rd d-man. 2 minute penalty for sure. Incidental contact to the head is still a hit to the head. 5 and a game was completely ludicrous.

You do that and you will have a lot of injured goaltenders in the game. The goalies should not be fair game no matter where they are. They have a lot of awkward padding on, and when you get hit it's very easy to twist a knee or pull a groin.

I understand this but that is the risk they take leaving the crease. I never understood the rule. They have the protected zone. They are still hockey players. They can't have it both ways. So shaw gets in unchecked but Smith should have as much time as he needs to play the puck while crowding the boards and using his body to shield the puck? Where do you want shaw to go in that situation? Just stand there and let the goalie take away the chance he worked for? Hit by shaw was stupid as it looked like he didn't make that much of an effort to get out of the way but realistically with Smith bent over there was nowhere for him to go without going around him the other way and conceding posession of the puck hence my beef of goalies getting as much time as they need so long as they get to the puck first.

They don't get as much time as they need. You are allowed to make contact with a goaltender, but you are not allowed to hit a goaltender. Shaw could have stopped and rubbed up against Smith and went for the stick lift/puck. That is perfectly legal, but when you start hitting a goaltender it is illegal, and that is due to the fact they are more prone to injury than a regular player.

Smith knew Shaw was coming and he closed the gap between himself and the boards so Shaw would make contact. then he made sure his head was down and he was bent over so that the contact would be made to his upper body. Once contact was made, he flung his head violently backwards, his glove and stick went flying and he laid whithering on the ice for several  minutes while the training staff attended to him.

I definetly think he intended to make contact, if not with the head with the Body, and other than the Lucic situation Goailes aren't fair game.

It was intentional, I think he may only get fined if Smith is unharmed though, if smith can't play I think he will get 2 games.

This ^ The fact that he was still playing the puck and was crowding the boards and using his body to shield the puck is exactly the reason this rule should be changed. Where did you want Shaw to go? Is he just supposed to be like Oh the goalie is playing the puck he should be able to stand there take as long as he needs to to get it out. Stupid rule. They have the crease. You want to come out and play the puck then you should be treated as the 3rd d-man. 2 minute penalty for sure. Incidental contact to the head is still a hit to the head. 5 and a game was completely ludicrous.

He had no room smith embellished the hit and for those of u saying it was a dirty hit just remember burrows pulling Keith's hair chara basically killing pacioretti and hjalmarson on pominville so grow up its hockey a contact sport the Canucks are probably the dirtiest team and when u say the hawks are dirty u should know they do the least amount of checks in the nhl

Archived