Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Cory Schneider Starts Game 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
204 replies to this topic

#1 Burrows_Breath

Burrows_Breath

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Confirmed by AV.

Canucks twitter: #Canucks coach Alain Vigneault confirms Cory Schneider starts in Game 3.

Also Weise in for Ebbett

Edited by Burrows_Breath, 15 April 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#2 j3ff

j3ff

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

......source?

I figured he would. Hopefully he doesn't need to steal this game for us..

even though he would anyways B)

#3 gamasutra

gamasutra

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Pittbsurgh probably wishes they had a backup to go to. Stanley cup favorites about to get swept because of shaky goaltending.

#4 Raspberries

Raspberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

and lets hope AV has also banned drop passes.

Lu clearly wasn't the problem but Go Schneids!!

#5 jimmyking8888

jimmyking8888

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

Why does AV have to confirm anything? It should be a game-time decision. At least make LA have to think about it.

#6 Burrows_Breath

Burrows_Breath

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

and lets hope AV has also banned drop passes. Lu clearly wasn't the problem but Go Schneids!!

Lu wasn't the problem but we needed a change...

#7 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Good news. Its not that Luongo hasn't been playing well but this really sends a strong message to the rest of the team.

Posted Image

Edited by The Situation, 15 April 2012 - 12:55 PM.

Posted Image

#8 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,019 posts

I don't get it... when Lu imploded in other years, they refused to switch.

Now that Luongo is one of the few guys that isn't a problem, he's out and Schneider is in? Don't get me wrong, I love Schneider, but that just doesn't make sense to me... :huh:

CDCGML Commissioner/Winnipeg Jets <---Click For Roster!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Support Canuck Place Childrens Hospice - http://www.canuckplace.org/

This is what hockey should be. A lot of chances, a lot of hitting, no cheap shots, no chirping after whistles."

#9 Sea2Sky Country

Sea2Sky Country

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

yup, confirmed by dan murphy and farhan lalji's twitter. AV is going all in here, Lu did a great job in there the first two games but ... lets's GO Schneids!!! Go Canucks Go

#10 greenbean30

greenbean30

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Feel sorry for Luo, cause it isn't his fault that we're down 2-0. But AV has to try something, team has played bad so far.

#11 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Here is a good read from Jason Botchford on why its a good idea to start Schneider.

Start Cory Schneider for Game 3 and you won’t lose Luongo

Posted Image
The situation in last year’s first round, wasn’t exactly the same, but it was dire.
The Canucks had jumped out to a three games to none lead, and then started crumbling at the mere sight of the Blackhawks jersey.
They lost two in a row and got clobbered. They couldn’t score. They couldn’t play defence. And Luongo couldn’t make a save.
Like this year, they did not look like Presidents’ Trophy winners.
The move to start Cory Schneider in Game 6 in Chicago had more to do with the team than Roberto Luongo. The Canucks responded with a terrific Game 6. Yes, they lost. Yes, Schneider cramped up and had puck handling issues that cost his team a couple goals. But the game, a 4-3 OT loss, changed momentum and really rolled out the carpet to that riveting Game 7 which the Canucks won.
The logic should be similar this year. Luongo has been very good in the first two games. But the Canucks have lost both. They can’t score. They have given up seven goals to the 29th scoring team in the NHL. It’s not a slight on Luongo. But Schneider has outplayed him for two months (He’s 10-3-1, with a 1.54 GAA and a .949 save pecrcentage since the all-star break).
Are his puck moving skills still an issue? Of course. But the numbers he put up this year are the best in team history. That should, uh, trump his puck handling woes.
There was already strong suggestions around the team that Schneider was going to start in LA no matter what. They’ve had a goalie rotation all year, and it’s worked. Why can’t that work in the playoffs?
Thing is, Schneider has been on the bench for the 0-2 start to this series and he may have had the best season on the team. He may in fact be the best player on the team right now. He sure is the hottest. He’s earned a chance to make a difference. And right now, the Canucks are desperate for a difference maker.
There is no reason you can’t go back to Luongo in Game 4 or later in the series. He will rebound. Luongo is far stronger mentally than people think. When he got benched for Game 6 last year, Schneider was a rookie who had never played in a big game. Schneider was the clear backup. That indignity is much harder to take, than this year.
The two have split the job down the stretch. Schneider has played 14 of the final 33 games. He has proven himself. He did against Boston and Chicago and he did in a great run to close out the season.
He’s played like the goalie version of Claude Giroux chasing down Mike Richards job in Philly. Will Luongo be able to handle it if he is pulled, given it won’t be because of his play? I’d suggest that’s easier to understand. The Canucks need a jolt and they don’t have many moves left.
Schneider handled it just fine when he didn’t get the Game 1 start even though he out-performed Luongo down the stretch. Likewise, Luongo will be just fine.
The Canucks went back to Luongo when Schneider cramped up last year and then went back to him for Game 7. He played one of the best games of his career.
They can do it again.

http://blogs.theprov...nt-lose-luongo/

Posted Image

#12 gamasutra

gamasutra

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Now that Luongo is one of the few guys that isn't a problem, he's out and Schneider is in? Don't get me wrong, I love Schneider, but that just doesn't make sense to me... :huh:

Luongo has a 0.891 save % in playoffs, good for 16/17 out of all goaltenders. How has he been great?

#13 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:58 PM

Wow, have to say I'm a bit surprised. AV doesn't normally do these things.

Anyway, now the next question looms, if Schneids wins, who starts game 4?
Posted Image

#14 AngNMGN99

AngNMGN99

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hope we'll get a W, but this makes no sense. If it's true: desperate move bij AV (shows he lacks the tactical knowledge maybe). And Roberto deserves better with his recent performances in min...unclassy move!

#15 Nail

Nail

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Maybe AV went on to CDC last night and this morning and followed our opinions

Formally known as Nail Yakupov.

Tampa Bay Lightning GM, CDCFL!

#16 LordYoshii

LordYoshii

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Let's hope we don't have to have him steal it for us.

HYDcCBf.gif

#17 PowerAids

PowerAids

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Wow, have to say I'm a bit surprised. AV doesn't normally do these things.

Anyway, now the next question looms, if Schneids wins, who starts game 4?

Schneids would.... if he plays outstanding the net will be his until he loses it.

#18 j3ff

j3ff

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Luongo has a 0.891 save % in playoffs, good for 16/17 out of all goaltenders. How has he been great?

Also, Schneider has gained invaluable experience this past year. AV obviously has a higher level of confidence in him.

#19 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

AWWWWWW YESSSSSSS

i got faith in luo

but the team needs a spark

lets do this
Posted Image

#20 PowerAids

PowerAids

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hope we'll get a W, but this makes no sense. If it's true: desperate move bij AV (shows he lacks the tactical knowledge maybe). And Roberto deserves better with his recent performances in min...unclassy move!

Unclassy?
AV is a coach and it's his decision, these guys are all professionals.

#21 canucks.girl1

canucks.girl1

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Cause if you watched the games you would see that he really did play well. You have to keep in mind that D hasnt been helping him... so he can only do so much.

Yeah feel bad for Lu cause hes been doing well but I hope that Schenider starting will change the way the rest of the team has been playing.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#22 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

I agree it wasn't Luongos fault we lost, but he has been far from spectacular. Sure he was pretty great in the 1st game but the 2nd game very much average. Good move to kick the team in the butt and hopefully wake them up.

#23 gamasutra

gamasutra

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Cause if you watched the games you would see that he really did play well. You have to keep in mind that D hasnt been helping him... so he can only do so much.

Yeah feel bad for Lu cause hes been doing well but I hope that Schenider starting will change the way the rest of the team has been playing.

If you've watched the games, you'd see that Quick has been vastly superior to Luongo. His 0.946 save% speaks for itself.

#24 forevernucks19

forevernucks19

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Its because this one of THE MOST critical games, and they are giving Lu a break. LA has NEVER played against Schneids, not even in the Reg.season, they've played against Lu in the reg.season. They know Lu's weak spots, but they dont know Schneids, so this might be a good thing. And havent you guys noticed? When Schneids is in net, the boys seems to play with more cofident, and with more determination, like against the Boston game, and we also, always win with Schneids. We won all the games with him with Lu was down last time. And when Lu is in net, I dont know if its just me, but the boys doesnt really play with much determination, or help him, and they leave him to dry, just like what Schneids said about last game, and the boys.

#25 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

3 of the 7 goals were weak, but what we're getting here is, yes but he looked great the rest of the time reasoning. Weak goals in the playoffs doesn't get it done. Anyone watch Rinne today, now that's playoff goaltending.

#26 George_Costanza

George_Costanza

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

No, Gamasutra is correct. Luongo has not been as good as people are claiming. Regardless of how bad the D has been, .891 save percentage is not good enough at all.
Posted Image

#27 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,339 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

That's because the team we are playing doesn't shoot that often.

The issue isn't Luongo - the issue is lack of scoring and mistakes.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#28 PowerAids

PowerAids

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

If you've watched the games, you'd see that Quick has been vastly superior to Luongo. His 0.946 save% speaks for itself.

Firing 40 shots from the perimeter will do that for you....

#29 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Anyone who can't see that Luongo was at least a small part of the problem is game 2 is a homer. I will give you he wasn't the main reason they lost...but in game 2 he also did not do enough to help the team win.

#30 SuchChange

SuchChange

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.