The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory Schneider Starts Game 3

Burrows_Breath

Here is a good read from Jason Botchford on why its a good idea to start Schneider.

Start Cory Schneider for Game 3 and you won’t lose Luongo

940-luongo-schneider-8col.jpg

The situation in last year’s first round, wasn’t exactly the same, but it was dire.

The Canucks had jumped out to a three games to none lead, and then started crumbling at the mere sight of the Blackhawks jersey.

They lost two in a row and got clobbered. They couldn’t score. They couldn’t play defence. And Luongo couldn’t make a save.

Like this year, they did not look like Presidents’ Trophy winners.

The move to start Cory Schneider in Game 6 in Chicago had more to do with the team than Roberto Luongo. The Canucks responded with a terrific Game 6. Yes, they lost. Yes, Schneider cramped up and had puck handling issues that cost his team a couple goals. But the game, a 4-3 OT loss, changed momentum and really rolled out the carpet to that riveting Game 7 which the Canucks won.

The logic should be similar this year. Luongo has been very good in the first two games. But the Canucks have lost both. They can’t score. They have given up seven goals to the 29th scoring team in the NHL. It’s not a slight on Luongo. But Schneider has outplayed him for two months (He’s 10-3-1, with a 1.54 GAA and a .949 save pecrcentage since the all-star break).

Are his puck moving skills still an issue? Of course. But the numbers he put up this year are the best in team history. That should, uh, trump his puck handling woes.

There was already strong suggestions around the team that Schneider was going to start in LA no matter what. They’ve had a goalie rotation all year, and it’s worked. Why can’t that work in the playoffs?

Thing is, Schneider has been on the bench for the 0-2 start to this series and he may have had the best season on the team. He may in fact be the best player on the team right now. He sure is the hottest. He’s earned a chance to make a difference. And right now, the Canucks are desperate for a difference maker.

There is no reason you can’t go back to Luongo in Game 4 or later in the series. He will rebound. Luongo is far stronger mentally than people think. When he got benched for Game 6 last year, Schneider was a rookie who had never played in a big game. Schneider was the clear backup. That indignity is much harder to take, than this year.

The two have split the job down the stretch. Schneider has played 14 of the final 33 games. He has proven himself. He did against Boston and Chicago and he did in a great run to close out the season.

He’s played like the goalie version of Claude Giroux chasing down Mike Richards job in Philly. Will Luongo be able to handle it if he is pulled, given it won’t be because of his play? I’d suggest that’s easier to understand. The Canucks need a jolt and they don’t have many moves left.

Schneider handled it just fine when he didn’t get the Game 1 start even though he out-performed Luongo down the stretch. Likewise, Luongo will be just fine.

The Canucks went back to Luongo when Schneider cramped up last year and then went back to him for Game 7. He played one of the best games of his career.

They can do it again.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/04/14/start-cory-schneider-for-game-3-and-you-wont-lose-luongo/

I don't get it... when Lu imploded in other years, they refused to switch.

Now that Luongo is one of the few guys that isn't a problem, he's out and Schneider is in? Don't get me wrong, I love Schneider, but that just doesn't make sense to me... :huh:

Archived