The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Has Gillis Really Done For This Franchise?

gradin123

You made the comparison not me. I just made it more of a fair one. I must say I favour Volpatti tearing new ones at $600,000 to Booth making a big hit his star contribution in 5 games for $4.2 M.

The phrase "judge him in the playoffs" is now being clinically removed from the memory banks of the gullible throughout CDC.

Also we must agree to differ on your definition of "doing nothing in the next three games" especially where Booth is part of the debate.

Matts Sundin was more like a playing coach on this team, while he didn't contribute much as an individual he developed the younger players of this team, it was a good signing.

Andrew Alberts is a great depth defenceman

Booth will be better with a full season here

Willie Mitchell was on the verge of retiring due to concussions and is 1 away from doing so.

Raymond was good until he broke his back only hindsight knew

Ballard is becoming what we signed him for

Luongo's contract is more marketable than you think

I'll give you the Sturm and Bernier points though

Bottom line is that MG hurt us at this past trade deadline...a rebuild move when we were in contention..he blew it and would be nice of him to fess up...not pass the buck..we coulda traded Hodgson in the off season. At the time I thought it smacked of the Neely fiasco and I still do.

• 8 months later...

Let's just update this post a little.

The Canucks big offesason move was the Garrison signing who really isn't must better than Salo. Even though secondary scoring was a glaring problem at the end of last season and Gillis knew Kesler would be out a while he did nothing to address that. Bringing in absolutely no free agent forwards yet.

He failed to execute any goalie trade and continues to just create an ongoing distraction there. Safe to say he had a poor offseason and the Canucks are in trouble now.

Will he be able to pull off a big trade to turn this team around? My money is on NO!

Love what he's done to our defence and goaltending position. Defence wins championships and he's doing a fine job of shoring that vulnerable position up. Obviously he'll move a goalie or Ballard/picks for some forward depth before the deadline which should set us up perfectly for a cup run.

In the past, to win a Cup you need 3 things - a top-3 NHL defence pairing (we now have that in Edler-Garrison thanks to him with a great 6-year signing and snagging Garrison), a great goalie (we have two, take your pick) and depth scoring straight through the lineup (when healthy we have 2 20-goal scorers on our 3rd line).

The one thing we need that all Cup winners have is depth at center. LA won with 6 centers, Boston with 7 viable NHL centers. Right now we have 3 NHL centers. When Kesler returns, 4, and Pinizotto could make that 5 but we still need more scoring centers.

Let's just update this post a little.

The Canucks big offesason move was the Garrison signing who really isn't must better than Salo. Even though secondary scoring was a glaring problem at the end of last season and Gillis knew Kesler would be out a while he did nothing to address that. Bringing in absolutely no free agent forwards yet.

He failed to execute any goalie trade and continues to just create an ongoing distraction there. Safe to say he had a poor offseason and the Canucks are in trouble now.

Will he be able to pull off a big trade to turn this team around? My money is on NO!

Gillis getting the executive of the year last season was the biggest joke I have ever seen.

Lets recap Gillis's major contributions so far.

Good

-Trading for Ehrhoff.

-Signing of Hamhuis.

-Trading for Higgins and Lapierre

-Re-Signing of Burrows at a discount.

-Signing of Tanev

Negative

-Re-Signing of Luongo to longterm contract after his first playoff meltdown against Chicago

-Trading Of Michael Grabner (and hence commitment to Mason Raymond) and a first round Pick(Howden) for Ballard and his bad contract

-Trading for David Booth and his bad contract

-Trading Cody Hodgson/Sulzer for Zack Kassian/Grags.

-Signing of Marco Sturm

-Not attempting to re-sign Willie Mitchell who you almost certainly would have re-signed here at a discount if the Canucks showed any interest in him.

-not one of his draft picks is playing in the NHL besides Cody Hodgson.

-signing of Mats Sundin

-trading a 2nd round pick for Steve Bernier

-trading a 3rd round pick for Andrew Alberts

Now Just the Facts

Lets see the part of this years Final Team Gillis inherited

Forwards.

D,Sedin, H.Sedin, R.Kesler,A.Burrows, M.Raymond,J.Hansen.

Dmen

Bieksa, Edler,Salo

Goalies

Luongo and Schneider

We have our top 6 regular season scorers on this list (Sedins,Kesler,Burrows,Edler and Bieksa) as well as our two very good goalies.

These players accounted for 148 of our 249 Goals this season and 7 of our 8 Playoff Goals.

Lets see the part of this years team Gillis actually created

Forwards

Booth,Pahlsson,Lapierre,Higgins,Malholtra,Weise,Kassian,Ebbett,Volpatti and Bitz

Dmen

Gragnani,Rome,Alberts,Ballard,Hamhuis and Tanev.

Goalies

None

These players combined for a total of 1 Goal in the playoffs and 76 of our 249 Goals in the Regular Season.

Same show every year with this fan base. The Canuck fan base doesn't have much of a thinking process or much common sense. They simply see something negative and react negatively. Instead fans should shut up, not immediately cry that the season is over, realize this team goes through this process every single year and every single year they end up FINE. And by fine I mean in the top ten of the overall standings. This team is simply too good to miss the playoffs.

Archived