The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Has Gillis Really Done For This Franchise?

gradin123

Let's just update this post a little.

The Canucks big offesason move was the Garrison signing who really isn't must better than Salo. Even though secondary scoring was a glaring problem at the end of last season and Gillis knew Kesler would be out a while he did nothing to address that. Bringing in absolutely no free agent forwards yet.

He failed to execute any goalie trade and continues to just create an ongoing distraction there. Safe to say he had a poor offseason and the Canucks are in trouble now.

Will he be able to pull off a big trade to turn this team around? My money is on NO!

He didn't need any top line forwards or Dmen. Booth hasn't settled yet. Ballard was one of the better players in the playoffs. I could keep going but. He didn't trade all the players that you like. Not making a trade is just a big as making one.

Gillis getting the executive of the year last season was the biggest joke I have ever seen.

Lets recap Gillis's major contributions so far.

Good

-Trading for Ehrhoff.

-Signing of Hamhuis.

-Trading for Higgins and Lapierre

-Re-Signing of Burrows at a discount.

-Signing of Tanev

It's threads like these that make it so obvious that people hate with unrealistic expectations. So whenever the team wins it's because he was handed the team, even though it was him that re-signed most the players. But if he didn't re-sign them then it's also his fault because he let them walk. So unless he blows up the whole team and gets rid of every good player on the team and signs his own good players and then wins a Stanley Cup, only then is he a good GM? It's basically a no win situation with some of you and your ridiculous expectations.

I don't agree with all his decisions but to sit behind a computer and use hindsight to argue your points is such a douche thing to do.

It's the same thing whenever they criticize anything. Team succeeds - credit to past GMs. Team falls short, MG's fault. Team wins, skaters played awesome. Team loses - Luongo's fault.

These days I'm never sure if guys like the OP are trolls or honestly this stupid.

The "Negatives"

-Re-Signing of Luongo to longterm contract after his first playoff meltdown against Chicago - This was a good move and it's still a good contract. Even with the newly added "luongo rule" it's a good contract. You have a 5.3 mil cap hit for goaltending you'd easily pay 6m+ a season for. If he retires a year early you're on the hook for one season at 6m. Well worth it for 8 years at a reduced cap.

-Trading Of Michael Grabner (and hence commitment to Mason Raymond) and a first round Pick(Howden) for Ballard and his bad contract. Grabner wasn't working out in Vancouver. That 1st rounder might be nice to have back. Negative, barely, but not for the loss of Grabs.

-Trading for David Booth and his bad contract Great move. Traded pending UFA and spare parts for a top 6 forward with a top 6 forward contract. Good move.

-Trading Cody Hodgson/Sulzer for Zack Kassian/Grags. Cody wanted out and Gillis acquired something we definitely needed in return. This was written a long time ago so I'll just chalk this point up to impatience. Great move, so far.

-Signing of Marco Sturm Zero risk, flipped him for a top6 forward. Great move.

-Not attempting to re-sign Willie Mitchell who you almost certainly would have re-signed here at a discount if the Canucks showed any interest in him. This one stings. Willie had sat out since lat January and hadn't played an NHL game. Willie wanted term, which MG was (rightfully) reluctant to give a player who had just suffered a serious concussion. I miss Willie, a lot, but at least he has his name on the cup now.

-not one of his draft picks is playing in the NHL besides Cody Hodgson. Hodgson was his first pick... who was supposed to be ahead of him in terms of development? Draft evaluation takes a long time.

-signing of Mats Sundin. Brilliant move. I'm not even going to waste my time explaining this one to any haters.

-trading a 2nd round pick for Steve Bernier. God damnit, Bernier.

Archived