The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Has Gillis Really Done For This Franchise?

gradin123

How is Malhotra not there under the epic fail category?

2.5m faceoff guy who has hands of stone, liability 5 on 5.. but apparently, he's good in the locker room so i guess that makes up for it. :rolleyes:

I dont care if he's tops in faceoffs, a 4th liner shouldnt be making that money unless his name is Chris Neil.

Gillis getting the executive of the year last season was the biggest joke I have ever seen.

Lets recap Gillis's major contributuons so far.

Good

-Trading for Ehrhoff.

-Signing of Hamhuis.

-Trading for Higgins and LaPierre

-Re-Signing of Burrows at a discount.

-Signing of Tanev

Negative

-Re-Signing of Luongo to longterm contract after his first playoff meltdown against Chicago

-Trading Of Michael Grabner (and hence commitment to Mason Raymond) and a first round Pick(Howden) for a Ballard and his bad contract

-Trading for David Booth and his bad contract

-Trading Cody Hodgson/Sulzer for Zack Kassian/Grags.

-Signing of Marco Sturm

-Not attempting to re-sign Willie Mitchell who you almost certainly would have re-signed here at a discount if the Canucks showed any interest in him.

-not one of his draft picks is playing in the NHL besides Cody Hodgson.

-signing of Mats Sundin

-trading a 2nd round pick for Steve Bernier

-trading a 3rd round pick for Andrew Alberts

2.5m faceoff guy who has hands of stone, liability 5 on 5.. but apparently, he's good in the locker room so i guess that makes up for it. :rolleyes:

I dont care if he's tops in faceoffs, a 4th liner shouldnt be making that money unless his name is Chris Neil.

I totally agree with him. Using the "hindsight" blast shows that your opinion doesn't even matter. It's Gillis' job to make good choices to make the team better. When you can count the good on one hand, and the bad is in double digits, there may be an issue to say the least.

Although I don't agree with some of what he deemed bad, (ie. Booth) GM's get fired for having bad "hindsight". How many bad "hindsight" moves had Detroit made?

Some thoughts without reading all the posts:

-Sundin wasn't a bad move. Gillis had the cap space, there wasn't many great free agents that year. He didn't want to trade away assets, so he basically offered up all the cap space he had left to make it a deal Sundin couldn't refuse. Pretty simple really. And then some was left on the table. Gillis could have added another player at the deadline.

-I miss Sammuelson. He seemed to "get" the playoffs... Maybe we need to snipe ex-detroit players.

-Torres. This I don't get. Gillis talks about adding toughness. Torres was the toughest guy on our roster last year. He WAS that perfect guy. Played like a pit bull/ human wrecking ball and SCORED GOALS. Not like the other guys we acquire that only play 5 mins. He actually played. I don't usually like guys that ride that line of dirty, but he played his role to a key. And gillis let him walk.

We would've won the cup if I was the GM. Gillis has a lot of questionable moves like ballard, luongo, kassian, raymond. This team is soft as pudding, no toughness. My roster would've been like this, a team that would actually have each others back. It's all about size and toughness in todays nhl.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Simmonds-Kesler-Morrow

Higgins-Neil-Brouwer

Hansen-Moen-Asham

Ex. Rupp, Kostopolous

Weber-Hamhuis

Bieska-Mitchell

Gil-Sutton

Rome

Schneider

Clemmensen

Why? bad coaching and player management is why.

we traded away a goal scorer (notice how we are having trouble scoring goals) for a D (whom i like) that the coach won't play regularly or in key situations.

Well thats kind of the point isn't it. why in the hell did they sign sturm over say torres or giving shirokov a chance.

This team has trouble scoring in games that matter yet in the last three years we've shipped out all of our offensive prospects (two calder candidates)... grabner, shirokov and hodgson for virtually nothing. Neither of those three trades has helped this team. even samuelson, booth is just not getting it done for 4.5 million. 4.5 million for ballard who doesn't play.

I was big on team MG but his moves since last offseason to this trade deadline have all been horrible. not one has turned out. With hodgson being the worst.. .stuck behind two star centers eh??? which two "stars" would that be? Sedins got shut down last year, kesler is not a 40 goal guy yet instead of bolstering our offense or defense we ship out prospects for nothing. When we see next year that kesler still only gets 20 goals and the twins begin to decline in points and effectiveness (already not that effective when it matters) we'll see that an up and coming center wouldn't have needed to wait for five years to get his shot.

We are stuck with booth who has turned out to be raymond but without the falling down. We have no good assets left to trade other than cory yet we should be keeping him rather than the 32 year old that he has better numbers than.

MG better hope that he can dump a contract or two and that atleast one top 6 and/or one top d free agent wants to sign here. We have no prospect depth anymore and only a goalie to trade.

We would've won the cup if I was the GM. Gillis has a lot of questionable moves like ballard, luongo, kassian, raymond. This team is soft as pudding, no toughness. My roster would've been like this, a team that would actually have each others back. It's all about size and toughness in todays nhl.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Simmonds-Kesler-Morrow

Higgins-Neil-Brouwer

Hansen-Moen-Asham

Ex. Rupp, Kostopolous

Weber-Hamhuis

Bieska-Mitchell

Gil-Sutton

Rome

Schneider

Clemmensen

Grabner - at the time wouldn't have had the chances to play top-six role like he did with Islanders

Sundin - bad signing? He made our core guys better players and the players they are today

Ballard - it may look bad now, but at the time our D was extremely weak, this was before Hamhuis signing

Booth - you call this a negative? We completely ripped off Florida. We got rid of a terrible signing in Sturm

Mitchell - technically we tried to sign him, he wanted more. And if we did re-sign him, Hamhuis wouldn't be here

Gillis getting the executive of the year last season was the biggest joke I have ever seen.

Lets recap Gillis's major contributuons so far.

Good

-Trading for Ehrhoff.

-Signing of Hamhuis.

-Trading for Higgins and LaPierre

-Re-Signing of Burrows at a discount.

-Signing of Tanev

Negative

-Re-Signing of Luongo to longterm contract after his first playoff meltdown against Chicago

-Trading Of Michael Grabner (and hence commitment to Mason Raymond) and a first round Pick(Howden) for a Ballard and his bad contract

-Trading for David Booth and his bad contract

-Trading Cody Hodgson/Sulzer for Zack Kassian/Grags.

-Signing of Marco Sturm

-Not attempting to re-sign Willie Mitchell who you almost certainly would have re-signed here at a discount if the Canucks showed any interest in him.

-not one of his draft picks is playing in the NHL besides Cody Hodgson.

-signing of Mats Sundin

-trading a 2nd round pick for Steve Bernier

-trading a 3rd round pick for Andrew Alberts

Archived