The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Has Gillis Really Done For This Franchise?

gradin123

Gillis getting the executive of the year last season was the biggest joke I have ever seen.

Lets recap Gillis's major contributuons so far.

Good

-Trading for Ehrhoff.

-Signing of Hamhuis.

-Trading for Higgins and LaPierre

-Re-Signing of Burrows at a discount.

-Signing of Tanev

Negative

-Re-Signing of Luongo to longterm contract after his first playoff meltdown against Chicago

-Trading Of Michael Grabner (and hence commitment to Mason Raymond) and a first round Pick(Howden) for a Ballard and his bad contract

-Trading for David Booth and his bad contract

-Trading Cody Hodgson/Sulzer for Zack Kassian/Grags.

-Signing of Marco Sturm

-Not attempting to re-sign Willie Mitchell who you almost certainly would have re-signed here at a discount if the Canucks showed any interest in him.

-not one of his draft picks is playing in the NHL besides Cody Hodgson.

-signing of Mats Sundin

-trading a 2nd round pick for Steve Bernier

-trading a 3rd round pick for Andrew Alberts

We would've won the cup if I was the GM. Gillis has a lot of questionable moves like ballard, luongo, kassian, raymond. This team is soft as pudding, no toughness. My roster would've been like this, a team that would actually have each others back. It's all about size and toughness in todays nhl.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Simmonds-Kesler-Morrow

Higgins-Neil-Brouwer

Hansen-Moen-Asham

Ex. Rupp, Kostopolous

Weber-Hamhuis

Bieska-Mitchell

Gil-Sutton

Rome

Schneider

Clemmensen

Booth, Bernier and Alberts weren't bad trades.

Losing Samuelsson though hurt our PP and changed our forward group entirely for the worst.

Letting Ehrhoff go has proved to be a big loss without replacing him, and like I said it will and has cost this team in the playoffs. You CANNOT just expect 3 guys (Hamhuis, Bieksa and Edler) to replace 50 points and 22+ minutes of quality hockey, and they didn't. Bonehead MG thought our depth was good enough and it got exploited by the worst offence of the playoffs.

Losing Hodgson was IMO the worst trade in franchise history, even if he had his hand forced he just made our PP even worse, lost our depth scoring, traded away our future franchise face and destroyed our team's chemistry.

Changing the culture of this franchise is something Gillis has had his hands in as well. Convincing ownership to invest money into other areas of the franchise has made this a spot for players to want and come play.

Yes this playoffs is not turning out the way we hoped, but the core group is still intact. With that being said, this team is still very good and with a couple tweaks can be right back in the finals.

We would've won the cup if I was the GM. Gillis has a lot of questionable moves like ballard, luongo, kassian, raymond. This team is soft as pudding, no toughness. My roster would've been like this, a team that would actually have each others back. It's all about size and toughness in todays nhl.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Simmonds-Kesler-Morrow

Higgins-Neil-Brouwer

Hansen-Moen-Asham

Ex. Rupp, Kostopolous

Weber-Hamhuis

Bieska-Mitchell

Gil-Sutton

Rome

Schneider

Clemmensen

right... to everyone hitting the panic button. team played 107 games last year with 2.5 months off.

for those of you who dont play hockey at all or dont play at a high level: regardless of how well conditioned you are, playing 107 games is going to take the pi** out of you mentally and pysically. (especially after losing in game 7)

yes changes need to be made. but hands off the panic button.

i trust in GMMG

I certainly don't see him as a problem and I do have faith in him. He has done a lot of good for this organization in his short time here, especially when it comes to changing the culture. But is my trust in him less than say a year ago? Yeah it definitely is. I think the problem is that some people have Gillis on a pedestal and they act like he does no wrong and is the best GM this team has ever had by a mile. And I would consider myself as someone who did have him on a pedestal at one point but the moves he has made over the last while has definitely changed that to an extent.

I still like him as our GM and I think its way too premature and downright stupid to think about firing him. I just think that he has made his share of mistakes. Obviously everyone will point to the Kassian-Hodgson trade, rightfully so. But I'm not crazy over Booth's contract either. Especially since he and Kesler show no chemistry. I like Ballard but was it worth to give up Grabner and take on his big contract? I never liked the length of the Luongo deal. There are a lot of things I wish he had done differently but again, I do believe he will do everything he can to make this team better. He's a smart man and this summer will be an interesting one and might define Gillis tenure with the Canucks.

All Gillis can do is make the best team he can in the regular season, and hope his coaching staff can take that team as far into the playoffs as possible. Once the playoffs start, there really aren't any moves the GM can make anymore. He's won two consecutive Presidents Trophies, the first time any GM has done that in over a decade. He's a great GM on and off the ice, this exit was not at all his fault. If a coach can't work a lineup that has THIS many interchangeable parts (Lappy/Higgins/Hansen/Burr/Kassian/Booth/etc) then thats on the coach.

All Gillis can do is make the best team he can in the regular season, and hope his coaching staff can take that team as far into the playoffs as possible. Once the playoffs start, there really aren't any moves the GM can make anymore. He's won two consecutive Presidents Trophies, the first time any GM has done that in over a decade. He's a great GM on and off the ice, this exit was not at all his fault. If a coach can't work a lineup that has THIS many interchangeable parts (Lappy/Higgins/Hansen/Burr/Kassian/Booth/etc) then thats on the coach.

Honestly, I think Gillis has done a pretty good job of building this team. "On paper", we're definitely Stanley Cup contenders; it's not really fair to blame MG that the coaches and players themselves fail to translate their skills onto the ice.

The Grabner trade: Grabner really had no future here in Vancouver. He was never going to get a spot on the 2nd line with Raymond and Samuelsson locked up as the top 6 (remember, this was BEFORE Raymond started to suck and Sammy declined slightly - they both just had career years)

Letting Ehrhoff go: The guy basically only cared about money and a big contract, therefore he left to play on a team so he could "win a cup" (lol). Great offensive D-man and I know the PP missed him, but I think I would've been more angry if he was given that ridiculous contract that Buffalo offered because just he doesn't deserve it.

Honestly the only trade that MG has completely f*cked up with was the Hodgson trade. I know Kassian is supposed to be the next hot shot power forward and all, but he traded for a rookie that has POTENTIAL in a couple of years, not a player that has the immediate skill we needed for this year's playoff run.

Archived