The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Has Gillis Really Done For This Franchise?

gradin123

Hodgson and Grabner, the two top prospects that got traded before being really tested in the NHL, certainly could have helped the lack of offense Canucks. These two guys had only scarce ice-time and played on the 3rd and 4th lines. Yet, they were both labelled soft and a defensive liability. In fact both are Plus players playing for Vanvouver. Grabner had the team best plus 13 playing for one of the worst teams in the NHL and was a Calder trophy candidate. Hodgson was the cornerstone in penalty kill in the Canadian junior gold medal team who was also capable of scoring big goals in important games for Vancouver. I would say Hodgson was much more impressive than Henrik Sedin and Kesler in their rookie years. He was also a good playmaker who had at least helped his linemate Hansen in having a career year. He was already a potential Calder trophy candidate while playing only 12 minutes per game on the 3rd line, just 2/3 of that of other top rookies, many of those on the top lines. A good GM won't trade away talented players like that. Vancouver will soon be looking for a top center once Henrik and Kesler pass their prime.

The worst thing that can happen to this team is for MG to trade away a future great goalie Schneider this summer. This team would have to wait for a few no playoff years to rebuild.

this thread sums up everything wrong with the fans in this city....players who underachieved should be run out of town not a management team whose been tops in the NHL.This team needs a rebuild their top scorers have been a no show for the last two playoff series and i dont care if they faced unbelievable goaltending.They have to stop waiting for the sedins to carry them,the day will come when they have passed their prime.This should be an exciting off season one we haven't seen in Vancouver for many years.

We would've won the cup if I was the GM. Gillis has a lot of questionable moves like ballard, luongo, kassian, raymond. This team is soft as pudding, no toughness. My roster would've been like this, a team that would actually have each others back. It's all about size and toughness in todays nhl.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Simmonds-Kesler-Morrow

Higgins-Neil-Brouwer

Hansen-Moen-Asham

Ex. Rupp, Kostopolous

Weber-Hamhuis

Bieska-Mitchell

Gil-Sutton

Rome

Schneider

Clemmensen

this thread sums up everything wrong with the fans in this city....players who underachieved should be run out of town not a management team whose been tops in the NHL.This team needs a rebuild their top scorers have been a no show for the last two playoff series and i dont care if they faced unbelievable goaltending.They have to stop waiting for the sedins to carry them,the day will come when they have passed their prime.This should be an exciting off season one we haven't seen in Vancouver for many years.

Something tells me Gillis is going to have to re-evaluate some of the people that he's surrounding himself with. He's clearly got some great initiatives for running the organization, but he's getting some bad advice from his scouts and maybe even his assistant GM's.

Bringing Booth in was a mistake. Bringing Pahlsson in was a mistake. Letting Torres, Samuelsson, and Ehrhoff go were mistakes. Trading for Ballard was a mistake. Trading Hodgson was a mistake.

He seems to be good at most things, but trades did not go well for him this season. And he made one of the biggest mistakes a GM can make, which is changing your team too much after losing in the finals. He let the pressure of people saying his team wasn't tough enough get to him. And it cost us our scoring.

I see a new coaching staff next season to help develop guys like Tanev, Schroeder, Kassian, and Jensen. And I see some new scouts being brought in to help us in the trade department.

The fans are too dumb. They blame Luongo and the goaltending when defense craps the bed. They blame Gillis when we lose in the Finals. Like honestly, these idiots wouldn't even be able to make a team that would make the playoffs. Gillis brought us 2 presidents trophy and a trip to the SCF last year. He made mistakes, so what? He is human, am sure he will correct the errors this summer. We could be like the Leafs or the Oilers with terrible management.

Did he?

Lets see the part of the team Gillis inherited

Forwards.

D,Sedin, H.Sedin, R.Kesler,A.Burrows, M.Raymond,J.Hansen.

Dmen

Bieksa, Edler,Salo

Goalies

Luongo and Schneider

We have our top 6 regular season scorers on this list (Sedins,Kesler,Burrows,Edler and Bieksa) as well as our two very good goalies.

These players accounted for 148 of our 249 Goals this season and 7 of our 8 Playoff Goals.

Lets see the part of this years team Gillis actually created

Forwards

Booth,Pahlsson,Lapierre,Higgins,Malholtra,Weise,Kassian,Ebbett,Volpatti and Bitz

Dmen

Gragnani,Rome,Alberts,Ballard,Hamhuis and Tanev.

Goalies

None

These players combined for a total of 1 Goal in the playoffs and 76 of our 249 Goals in the Regular Season.

Moves I think Gillis will make this summer:

Coaching staff removed.

Schneider traded for a top 5 pick, or Luongo traded to Tampa or Toronto.

Raymond gone. Pahlsson gone. Malhotra gone. One of Ballard, Bieksa, or Edler gone.

Sad to say but I think Salo's gone.

He'll make a big splash in free agency getting an elite winger for the second line. And a legitimate top four defenceman through free agency or trade.

Tanev and Schroeder will be given big roles on the team.

I'd like to point out Strum cost the Canucks nothing in the first place nor was he here long enough to cost them on the ice. MG turned him into a trade asset.

Second point, is Toronto would only love to have the same problems the Canucks have right now. Suggesting Vancouver bring back Burke is bringing back the circus the Canucks were when Burke was here. Like AV the new NHL has passed both him and Burke's approach long ago.

Some of you fans need some perspective. Would you rather have the same set up as in Toronto , Calgary or Montreal right now? Things are not that grim here in Vancouver where in those other Canadian city's there's little hope of even making the play offs next year. Those teams have marginal prospects and marginal players in place because of poor planning and quick fix approaches. Toronto is arguably worse than when Burke took over. That's one bad team.

Rest assure that MG will not panic and will make prudent adjustments this off season without ruining the future of the Vancouver Canucks.

Archived