The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Has Gillis Really Done For This Franchise?

gradin123

We would've won the cup if I was the GM. Gillis has a lot of questionable moves like ballard, luongo, kassian, raymond. This team is soft as pudding, no toughness. My roster would've been like this, a team that would actually have each others back. It's all about size and toughness in todays nhl.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Simmonds-Kesler-Morrow

Higgins-Neil-Brouwer

Hansen-Moen-Asham

Ex. Rupp, Kostopolous

Weber-Hamhuis

Bieska-Mitchell

Gil-Sutton

Rome

Schneider

Clemmensen

A) Gillis was blacklisted his first year as a GM, keep that in mind.

B) Back to Back presidents trophies.

C) He was one of the first GM's to start signing unrestricted college players ala' Matson and Cannata.

D) His knowledge of the salary cap fluxuations in regards to injury near the trade deadline is genius, something other GM's have yet to catch on to.

E) Eddie Lack, Michael Honzik, and Nicklas Jensen say, "hello".

F) Gillis has put a quality team on the ice, no one knew they would crap the bed this season.

G) Now we see wait and see what he's really capable of.

Ya,lets get rid of MG and AV. No one would want these losers!

Gimme a break!

AV would be in Montreal in an hour.

There would be a line up for MG

If this were Toronto,Montreal,Calgary,Edmonton or Winnipeg,you would be shot for suggesting this.

A) Gillis was blacklisted his first year as a GM, keep that in mind.

B) Back to Back presidents trophies.

C) He was one of the first GM's to start signing unrestricted college players ala' Matson and Cannata.

D) His knowledge of the salary cap fluxuations in regards to injury near the trade deadline is genius, something other GM's have yet to catch on to.

E) Eddie Lack, Michael Honzik, and Nicklas Jensen say, "hello".

F) Gillis has put a quality team on the ice, no one knew they would crap the bed this season.

G) Now we see wait and see what he's really capable of.

trading grabner and cody hodgson are definitely his biggest mistakes. Now our team has no future and we are stuck with a defenseman who our coach hates and is way overpaid and a young "tough guy" who isnt tough and really has no presence of any kind. In Gillis' defense. Signing Mats Sundin was not a bad move. we had so much un-used cap. He made our team better at the time and he was the reason Kesler became a real force on the ice. People were just mad because Sundin didnt get a hatrick every game and therefore came to the conclusion that he sucked.

I have no problem with the David Booth signing. i see him as being a more skilled and grittier version of Raymond.

I don't mind Sturm signing since he was a low risk high reward move.

I don't mind long term signing of Luongo who is arguably the best goalie we've had in decades.

I don't mind not signing mitchell again - someone already mentioned this but he had been badly concussed and it was pretty well speculated that another hit would lead him to retirement.

I think he's drafted pretty well considering the talent we have in the Wolves. We have a pretty solid upcoming D core and our former 1st rounders are maybe a year away from making impact.

did you all really expect him to make all A+ moves? Samuelsson had a good year this year, but he's on a decline and next year he may not do as well. Where as Booth is an under-rated talent that can score 30 goals consistently under the right system.

I'm as pissed about the Hodgson trade as anyone but i think that has more to do with AV than Gillis. Chill out. MG has taken existing pieces and only added to it. Its the coaching that hasn't been able to get the most out of a boat load of talent

"I have no problem with the David Booth signing. i see him as being a more skilled and grittier version of Raymond."

You owe me a new ribcage after I nearly broke a rib laughing.

Booth does NOT have more skill than Raymond. He does NOT have the defensive awareness OR the defence that Raymond has.

So lets see we are paying almost $2M more for 10 more points and some debatable grit over a player who was coming back from a broken back and a missed pre-season.

Yeh good trade. :sadno:

"Samuelsson had a good year this year, but he's on a decline and next year he may not do as well. Where as Booth is an under-rated talent that can score 30 goals consistently under the right system."

If Sammy had the same points with our team as he has with Panthers he would be one point better than Booth on 8 less games. He would have had 4 points in the playoffs to Booth's 1.

At the end of the season we would have kept his cap and been free to use it with Schneider? Raymond? and picks for some big gritty sniper with more of a 70-80 point contribution.

However instead we are stuck with a one trick pony who will have to re model his game if he is to be any use to us.

"I have no problem with the David Booth signing. i see him as being a more skilled and grittier version of Raymond."

You owe me a new ribcage after I nearly broke a rib laughing.

Booth does NOT have more skill than Raymond. He does NOT have the defensive awareness OR the defence that Raymond has.

So lets see we are paying almost $2M more for 10 more points and some debatable grit over a player who was coming back from a broken back and a missed pre-season.

Yeh good trade. :sadno:

Ballard and Booth turned out to be bad trade. Yes, we can say that after the facts.

But at the time, there were both good trades and they haven't worked out. 29 out the 30 GMs would have made those trade with the informations available at the times. So maybe the problems isn't Gillis, but more how AV dealt with those players.

Actually Booth isn't a bad deal. We would have lost Sturm and Samuelsson anyway. Booth still have some value, so even if we trade him for a 3-4th round draft picks. It's still better than losing Sammy and Sturm for nothing. Not like we would have won the cup with them anyways.

Archived