The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Has Gillis Really Done For This Franchise?

gradin123

Guest Dasein

Gillis getting the executive of the year last season was the biggest joke I have ever seen.

Lets recap Gillis's major contributions so far.

Now Just the Facts

Lets see the part of this years Final Team Gillis inherited

We have our top 6 regular season scorers on this list (Sedins,Kesler,Burrows,Edler and Bieksa) as well as our two very good goalies.

These players accounted for 148 of our 249 Goals this season and 7 of our 8 Playoff Goals.

Lets see the part of this years team Gillis actually created

These players combined for a total of 1 Goal in the playoffs and 76 of our 249 Goals in the Regular Season.

"I have no problem with the David Booth signing. i see him as being a more skilled and grittier version of Raymond."

You owe me a new ribcage after I nearly broke a rib laughing.

Booth does NOT have more skill than Raymond. He does NOT have the defensive awareness OR the defence that Raymond has.

So lets see we are paying almost $2M more for 10 more points and some debatable grit over a player who was coming back from a broken back and a missed pre-season.

Yeh good trade. :sadno:

If you're basing that on hockeysfuture rankings, don't bother. They don't do any actual research on prospects and simply rate teams based how many top picks they have.

If you don't think the team has improved it's prospect pool since Gillis got here, then you clearly haven't been following the team very closely. When Gillis got here, our only prospects were Schneider and Grabner. Now we have Kassian, Schroeder, Tanev, Jensen, Rodin, Sweatt, Sauve, Connauton, Lack, Cannata, Corrado, and Labate. This is a huge uprgrade, and we're gonna benefit from it big time in the future.

If you're basing that on hockeysfuture rankings, don't bother. They don't do any actual research on prospects and simply rate teams based how many top picks they have.

If you don't think the team has improved it's prospect pool since Gillis got here, then you clearly haven't been following the team very closely. When Gillis got here, our only prospects were Schneider and Grabner. Now we have Kassian, Schroeder, Tanev, Jensen, Rodin, Sweatt, Sauve, Connauton, Lack, Cannata, Corrado, and Labate. This is a huge uprgrade, and we're gonna benefit from it big time in the future.

Ballard and Booth turned out to be bad trade. Yes, we can say that after the facts.

But at the time, there were both good trades and they haven't worked out. 29 out the 30 GMs would have made those trade with the informations available at the times. So maybe the problems isn't Gillis, but more how AV dealt with those players.

Actually Booth isn't a bad deal. We would have lost Sturm and Samuelsson anyway. Booth still have some value, so even if we trade him for a 3-4th round draft picks. It's still better than losing Sammy and Sturm for nothing. Not like we would have won the cup with them anyways.

A) Gillis was blacklisted his first year as a GM, keep that in mind.

B) Back to Back presidents trophies.

C) He was one of the first GM's to start signing unrestricted college players ala' Matson and Cannata.

D) His knowledge of the salary cap fluxuations in regards to injury near the trade deadline is genius, something other GM's have yet to catch on to.

E) Eddie Lack, Michael Honzik, and Nicklas Jensen say, "hello".

F) Gillis has put a quality team on the ice, no one knew they would crap the bed this season.

G) Now we see wait and see what he's really capable of.

Nice list of players but how many of them will ever play on the Canucks. There is still the fact not one of Gillis's draft picks is playing for the Canucks right now. I don't think Schroeder will make it, I do think Jensen might end up being good though. Lack was pulled in one of the Wolves playoffs games this year and is overhyped as a prospect as he was barely better than his backup with the Wolves.

Tanev was a good signing and the jury is still out on Kassian. The rest won't ever be NHL players of any significance.

What, so Gillis inherited a great team with franchise pieces already in place. Yes, those players accounted for 148 of 249 goals this season and 7 of our 8 playoff goals. Yes, that means the team that Gillis has inherited already is capable of producing that much, and hen that would make Gillis's job to go out and find pieces that can be role players to help the already-existing top players win a championship.

What is it that you exactly want Mike Gillis to have done? Would it have made you feel better if Gillis guttered our team? For example, if he turned the franchise around and made it his own by trading away our core (Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Edler, Bieksa) and sign his own superstars? It's not like Gillis had a chance to go out and get us players that can score 148 of 249 goals - those players are already in our system.

Would you feel better if Gillis traded Sedins and got himself a Gaborik that produces majority of the points for this team? Would that make Gillis a better GM in your mind? Hell no - to trade the Sedins away and get his own franchise pieces would be stupid and bad GM'ing. Gillis, as the GM who inherited a great team, is limited in his ability to make "big" moves, because he doesn't need to.

You seem to care only about the production of the players that Gillis went out and got, which is completely wrong - Gillis went out and got the players he got only because he already had pieces that were supposed to score the majority of the goals. Now that, that is a fact.

And if you look at the bigger picture, we got 16 points from our original players, and we got 7 points from our new players that Gillis got. That seems about right, seeing as those original players are the core players and that the new players are role players that Gillis got.

I have always had faith in MG he was a great GM, but I definetly agree, what happend and the trades in teh offseason got me a little worried, but I still believed he knew what he was doing, but after the trade deadline I lost that belief in him, unless he does something absolutley incredible this off season I don't think I'll stick with Gillis for a while.

A simple way to assess a GM is to ask the question: "Is the team weaker or stronger, compared to last year?"

If your answer is weaker, then he is a bad GM. If your answer is stronger, then the GM is just doing his job. And if he won us a Stanley Cup, then he is an excellent GM.

The last time I checked Mike Richards was tearing us a new one until Booth absolutely crushed him behind the net. Richards did nothing in the next three games. If that's not grit in your mind, I don't know what you think grit is. Stop comparing apples with oranges. Two completely polar opposite players.

Gillis getting the executive of the year last season was the biggest joke I have ever seen.

Good

-Trading for Ehrhoff.

-Signing of Hamhuis.

-Trading for Higgins and Lapierre

-Re-Signing of Burrows at a discount.

-Signing of Tanev

Negative

-Re-Signing of Luongo to longterm contract after his first playoff meltdown against Chicago

-Trading Of Michael Grabner (and hence commitment to Mason Raymond) and a first round Pick(Howden) for Ballard and his bad contract

-Trading for David Booth and his bad contract

-Trading Cody Hodgson/Sulzer for Zack Kassian/Grags.

-Signing of Marco Sturm

-Not attempting to re-sign Willie Mitchell who you almost certainly would have re-signed here at a discount if the Canucks showed any interest in him.

-not one of his draft picks is playing in the NHL besides Cody Hodgson.

-signing of Mats Sundin

-trading a 2nd round pick for Steve Bernier

-trading a 3rd round pick for Andrew Alberts

Now Just the Facts

Forwards.

D,Sedin, H.Sedin, R.Kesler,A.Burrows, M.Raymond,J.Hansen.

Dmen

Bieksa, Edler,Salo

Goalies

Luongo and Schneider

We have our top 6 regular season scorers on this list (Sedins,Kesler,Burrows,Edler and Bieksa) as well as our two very good goalies.

These players accounted for 148 of our 249 Goals this season and 7 of our 8 Playoff Goals.

Forwards

Booth,Pahlsson,Lapierre,Higgins,Malholtra,Weise,Kassian,Ebbett,Volpatti and Bitz

Dmen

Gragnani,Rome,Alberts,Ballard,Hamhuis and Tanev.

Goalies

None

These players combined for a total of 1 Goal in the playoffs and 76 of our 249 Goals in the Regular Season.

Good

-Trading for Ehrhoff.

-Signing of Hamhuis.

-Trading for Higgins and Lapierre

-Re-Signing of Burrows at a discount.

-Signing of Tanev

Negative

-Re-Signing of Luongo to longterm contract after his first playoff meltdown against Chicago

-Trading Of Michael Grabner (and hence commitment to Mason Raymond) and a first round Pick(Howden) for Ballard and his bad contract

-Trading for David Booth and his bad contract

-Trading Cody Hodgson/Sulzer for Zack Kassian/Grags.

-Signing of Marco Sturm

-Not attempting to re-sign Willie Mitchell who you almost certainly would have re-signed here at a discount if the Canucks showed any interest in him.

-not one of his draft picks is playing in the NHL besides Cody Hodgson.

-signing of Mats Sundin

-trading a 2nd round pick for Steve Bernier

-trading a 3rd round pick for Andrew Alberts

Now Just the Facts

Forwards.

D,Sedin, H.Sedin, R.Kesler,A.Burrows, M.Raymond,J.Hansen.

Dmen

Bieksa, Edler,Salo

Goalies

Luongo and Schneider

Forwards

Booth,Pahlsson,Lapierre,Higgins,Malholtra,Weise,Kassian,Ebbett,Volpatti and Bitz

Dmen

Gragnani,Rome,Alberts,Ballard,Hamhuis and Tanev.

Goalies

None

Archived