The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Situation And How It Will Play Out (In My Opinion)

TwinTelepathy

If the Canucks lose game 4, AV will be out of a job, and quite possibly Gillis as well. AV will have failed to motivate his players to get even one win in a series many were expecting the Canucks to win in 5 or 6. Getting swept as the Presidents Trophy winners in the first round is not acceptable.

Gillis made deadline deals trying to bring in more grit to deal with our one big weakness in last year's SCF. What happened? Kassian did nothing. He has 2 points (both against his old team, in a loss no less) since coming from Buffalo and has basically been pulling splinters out of his a** since then. He gave up a perennial 25-30 goal scorer (possibly more) to do this. Say what you will about Cody needing to be moved to get more ice time (which I still agree with), but getting someone like Zach Kassian in return basically amounted to getting nothing back.

The OP is assuming that what we are seeing is not what the Nucks really are. I'm not so sure. After watching them struggle last year - 8 goals in 7 games in the SCF..and now this year - 4 goals in 3 games, with 3 of those scored by non top 6 forwards, it is pretty clear that our top 6 are unable to get it done in the playoffs.

The OP believes that now after their last 10 playoff games where they haven't been able to score, all fo a sudden, they are going to flick a switch and out-score LA with Jonathan quick in net, 4 games in a row? The team with teh lowest goasl against in the NHL all season? Sure...no problem!

The OP is assuming that what we are seeing is not what the Nucks really are. I'm not so sure. After watching them struggle last year - 8 goals in 7 games in the SCF..and now this year - 4 goals in 3 games, with 3 of those scored by non top 6 forwards, it is pretty clear that our top 6 are unable to get it done in the playoffs.

The OP believes that now after their last 10 playoff games where they haven't been able to score, all fo a sudden, they are going to flick a switch and out-score LA with Jonathan quick in net, 4 games in a row? The team with teh lowest goasl against in the NHL all season? Sure...no problem!

p.s. buddy, Browns hit was clean, he was just finishing his check. maybe if our captain threw a hit like that once and a while, maybe even drop the gloves on occasion, or even played with half the intensity that brown did none of us would be whining or talking about these what if scenarios.

Whatever, it's just Darryl Sutter get 1 goal and sit on it hockey.

Kings played the rest of the game like a PK after going up 1-0.

This 'defense first' garbage Vancouver switched to a few weeks ago has killed their powerplay.

This isn't rocket science here, it's the power play that cost the Canucks the last three games.

Jon Quick has been good, but let's not get stupid here. The Canucks can't seem to generate any rebounds or second chances on goals, and they have been ineffective down low and cannot seem to get Quick to move laterally to open any holes.

Quick has had a couple big saves in this series, but it's the ineptitude of the forwards, not the Kings' goaltender that is causing all the problems.

The facts are we are down, not out.

Sometimes it only takes one goal to turn it around. That goal might have been tonight.

Two Hansen posts go in and we are up 2-1 in the series.

And if we're goners, go down swinging. Give them hell.

Yeah, we might win one or maybe two but then what?

This team lacks respect from around the league because we are soft, whine a lot and have disgraceful and useless players at times. It's obvious to me the window closed and it will soon be time to find solutions to are inability to score and dominate.

Where is the effort? What about all the energy we saved up since the Boston game? Where is the hunger we all expected?

We are down 3-0 and will lose the series because the Kings are a better team and we all knew they had the pieces 2years ago to beat us now. I enjoy your enthusiasm but stop with this 'believe or we live for this' crap.

If the Canucks lose game 4, AV will be out of a job, and quite possibly Gillis as well. AV will have failed to motivate his players to get even one win in a series many were expecting the Canucks to win in 5 or 6. Getting swept as the Presidents Trophy winners in the first round is not acceptable.

Gillis made deadline deals trying to bring in more grit to deal with our one big weakness in last year's SCF. What happened? Kassian did nothing. He has 2 points (both against his old team, in a loss no less) since coming from Buffalo and has basically been pulling splinters out of his a** since then. He gave up a perennial 25-30 goal scorer (possibly more) to do this. Say what you will about Cody needing to be moved to get more ice time (which I still agree with), but getting someone like Zach Kassian in return basically amounted to getting nothing back.

Fire AV, do everything humanly possible to get Yakupov from Edmonton and if that fails get the 2nd overall (this is a MUST!) and draft Grigorenko (the BIG scoring franchise centreman we've been searching forever for who is in the mould of Malkin). Trade Kesler for some top picks and start the rebuild. Keep the Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Edler. Everyone else is available for the right price. We need a new team, one with fire in their bellies, one that is younger and better. The competitiveness is lacking and now I am afraid if we lose Game 4 and are swept in this series, the rebuild will happen, starting with AV. Gillis will be forced to drop the hammer on this current roster and get the most talent he can through high picks, talented prospects and trades for other players. MG will probably try and get as many 1st round picks as possible and draft a new team. The one we have now is not getting it done and time with this lot of players is running out. The window of opportunity with this group is closing. If they haven't done it by now, I am afraid it won't be happening anytime soon. It will be with a new roster of talent, a new core. Accumulate assets for these players while we can get significant returns. They're all getting older and slower. This team demands one of the highest ticket prices per game in the league. The product they have now should be much better than it is and the fans deserve better. If we're going to win a Stanley Cup, that chance has passed. Let's get this rebuild done and over with now rather than later. It's gonna have to happen soon anyway as the roster is aging. The cracks have started showing themselves this year. Yes, we won the President's Trophy but am I the only one who wondered HOW we won it? If anything, I have felt very uneasy about how we won games this year. I was always left with a nervous sense of relief when we won. We depended on the Goalies to win us games and for the most part, they did, but teams like that can't dominate. You need to have solid, consistent scoring. We need a gamebreaker or two and if we have to draft it, so be it. The franchise is solid financially and can weather 2 or 3 seasons of rebuilding a new, talented, dynamic, young roster. I can wait 3 years for that and believe me, it would be well worth it. Let the cleansing begin starting with AV then at the upcoming draft.

P.S. Get Yakupov or Grigorenko this draft. Tank next year (developing year putting pieces together while playing the younger top prospects in the organization) and go for MacKinnon. With those two players alone, we will have made huge headway moving forward. 2 exceptionally talented franchise players. This is the only way we can compete with the likes of teams like Edmonton who have been hoarding #1 picks the last 3 years. They will be a powerhouse in the very near future. Let's do this for the future. The now is no more. Change is in the air. Fresh, clean air.

So here we are....the President's trophy winners on the brink of elimination not even a week after the playoffs even started. I predicted before the series that the canucks would pull this series off in 7 and I STILL do (even though I didnt know this particular situation was bound to happen..). Look guys, I believe that if the Blackhawks can force a game seven like they did last year, the Canucks most definitely can force a game seven and win the series at home. This is the team that went to the cup final a year ago and have been through an even more tiresome series (with chicago) and it looks like they are now in a similar situation. This is the canucks style of play. They are pressure players. The kings were VERY lucky to win tonight and if the canucks can bring their "A" game like they did tonight, they WILL get the bounces and the victories.

I think the nucks will pull a Philly and heres what I think will happen:

Game 4: The canucks will play the same type of game they did tonight and beat the Kings next game.

Game 5:

The series will come back to Vancouver and I think Daniel WILL be back in the lineup as there is a 4-day break in between Games 4 and 5, the canucks will win with their regular lines and Henrik and Burrows finally find their game.

In game 6 we come back to LA and we play our hearts out (once again) and Force a game 7.

In game 7, we win the series with the support of our fans with our original, championship calibur lineup.

Note* After the Flyers came back against the Bruins from a 3-0 series deficit in Round One, they went on all the way to the final... I believe the Canucks can do the same and actually WIN the cup; something in which the flyers failed to do.

This scenario may seem unacheivable, but it ain't over till its over.

* P.S. We need someone to step up for Henrik. Brown's hit was not acceptable. Bertuzzi and Ottawa's tough guys answered for both Zetterberg and Alfredsson..... if Henrik keeps getting pushed around, MG has FAILED to achieve his "toughness" that he promised Canucks fans throughtout the season (which is why I was up for getting Chris Neil) and as Mike Babcock said: "if someone doesn't stick up for you (the refs), you have to do it yourself". Alain should be saying this to his team.

Believe.

Archived