Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Cody Hodgson's Effect On The Canucks If He Was Still Here

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,383 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

Feel free to lock this if you want. There might be a similar topic to this.

I"m posting this because shortly after tonights loss, a huge number of Canuck fans are blaming Gillis for the failure, and is pin pointing the move that was Cody Hodgso Alex Sulzer for Zack Kassian and Mark Andre Gragnani.

Ok, so you guys are frustrated probably because we lost tonight. I am too. You guys blaming everyone from players to coaches, and now for the first time ever since he took over as GM, asking for Mike Gillis to get fired.

First off, I strongly disagree. Ever since he took over our team has consistently been at the top. A top 6 NHL team the first 2 seasons, a top 1 NHL team the following 2. We won the Presdients trophy back to back, something extremely hard to do. YOu can say he's using the pieces that Brian Burke and Nonis put together, however even with those pieces Nonis failed big time.

But anyways, back on topic, you guys are blaming this on the Cody Hodgson trade.

First off, Cody Hodgson, had a strong end of December and a wondering month of January. But after that he was mediocre, of course I will blame that on the lack of ice time A.V was giving him. He was then traded for Kassian, who right now, in my point of view is not NHL ready. No Brainer....

So you guys are saying Cody Hodgson would have made a difference? Maybe, but probably not.

Cody Hodgson is the probably the sole reason why the Buffalo Sabres didn't even make the playoffs.

Lindy Ruff did to Hodgson why A.V didn't do. Give him ice time, he had the ice time and failed miserably for the Buffalo Sabres. He was not generating scoring chances, and on top of that getting scored on. Lets put it this way, he got worst when he left Vancouver. It came to point were, if you really want to look at it, the Buffalo Sabres were better off with their previous number 2 centerman instead of Cody Hodgson, because he was nothing but liability, and ultimately as you see, the Buffalo Sabres didn't make the playoffs, and came in 9th.

So now your telling me, Cody Hodgson would have made a difference? He has nice shot? I"m sure he does, he aveaged 2 shots on goal per game, and thats with 2nd line centerman ice time.... so don't tell me, Gillis should be fired because he traded Hodgson! He didn't even help Buffalo in regular season games, how the frack does a 3rd line hodgson make a difference????

I rest my case. Mike Gillis aint going nowhere.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#2 Bob.Loblaw

Bob.Loblaw

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,280 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Ugh, why blue?
Posted Image

Hockey_Crazy is a god. But I still got dibs on Yuna.

#3 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

This should get things going.

#4 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

He'd be parked on the bench.

#5 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

did you run out of blue ink?

I agree, you can't blame these losses on the CoHo trade, just like you can't blame them on the missing Sedin brother.

Playing through adversity is how you win games and a playoff series and the Canucks just aren't doing that.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

Ugh, why blue?

He always does this in all of his threads, it's really annoying.
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#7 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

Cody wouldnt have made any difference, because AV simply does not trust him, he didnt trust him in the regular season, why would that change in the playoffs. He would be stapled to the bench like Kassian, infavour of our 'defensive spealist' Malhotra.

#8 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

He would still be the 3rd liner that he was before he was traded. Nothing would have changed.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#9 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,703 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

There would be no effect.

Right now, it's all units that aren't firing - Hodge included had he stayed.

#10 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 js604

js604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:16 AM

Disagreed. After the trade, many people have already predicted that if our top scorers were out (injured or in a slump), the loss of Hodgson would be apparent. This is exactly what's happening right now with Kesler in a slump and Daniel injured. Even if Hodgson was able to get ONE goal in total in the past 3 games, it could have made a world of difference. ONE goal from him isn't a far fetched expectation at all.

Edited by js604, 16 April 2012 - 12:17 AM.

#12 canucksh0ckey

canucksh0ckey

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

did you run out of blue ink?

I agree, you can't blame these losses on the CoHo trade, just like you can't blame them on the missing Sedin brother.

Playing through adversity is how you win games and a playoff series and the Canucks just aren't doing that.

I think you can kind of blame it on the missing sedin
Posted Image

#13 Sami Solo

Sami Solo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:27 AM

Disagreed. After the trade, many people have already predicted that if our top scorers were out (injured or in a slump), the loss of Hodgson would be apparent. This is exactly what's happening right now with Kesler in a slump and Daniel injured. Even if Hodgson was able to get ONE goal in total in the past 3 games, it could have made a world of difference. ONE goal from him isn't a far fetched expectation at all.

Neither to expect 1 goal from bur, kes, sedin, booth, Higgins Still doesn't happen

#14 Yoshitomo

Yoshitomo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

Cody wouldn't have made a difference but at least he would've served a purpose. Kassian hasn't done anything, not even hitting, since he got here. I don't even see glimpses of a power-forward at this moment. I hope he develops into one but he's been pretty disappointing.

Right now, we're not hitting enough, Kesler-Higgins-Burrows-Henrik can't score, our PP isn't working and Salo isn't crippling players with his bombs:P

Being down 0-3 is all on our top 2 lines.
"You wanna be a farmer? Here's a couple of acres!"

#15 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

Can someone tell me why when playing against a rugged defense first team we never gave Gragnani a shot???? Question his defensive abilities all you want, but this guy lead his freakin team in playoff scoring last year.... AS A ROOKIE D MAN.

Gillis isn't an idiot, he is very prompt to address his teams needs. We traded away Hodgson and acquired Kassian to add some toughness to the team, and Gragnani to be insurance on the blueline. So what does AV do?? plays Kassian a whopping 3 minutes a game, and scratches Gragnani when we clearly could have used some more offense.

With AV doing this we pretty much just subtracted Hodgson, Kassian, and Gragnani from our lineup without any replacements, all while Sedin was already out. Just makes no sense. These guys can play, they just need a chance.... Ask Philly how their youth is working out in the playoffs. I believe AV is gone next year.

#16 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

I think you can kind of blame it on the missing sedin

Nope.

We had 2 healthy Sedins for the playoffs in 2009, 2010, and 2011. They didn't win us anything then, and they wouldn't win us anything now.
Posted Image

#17 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

I didn't read the blue text but I will say this.

It's even more clean to me now that the Hodgson trade was more fubar than I first thought.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#18 Hat Trick Maker

Hat Trick Maker

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

Even Grabner instead of Ballard would've helped.

#19 js604

js604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

Nope.

We had 2 healthy Sedins for the playoffs in 2009, 2010, and 2011. They didn't win us anything then, and they wouldn't win us anything now.

But they didn't lose the opening series 0-4 against the 8th seeder and 2nd lowest scoring team in the NHL this year, did they?

#20 Cristalinastar

Cristalinastar

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:50 AM

He always does this in all of his threads, it's really annoying.

Yeah, why do people need to state individuality by using coloured ink in emails etc.? Overly invested in inconsequential details if you ask me,
but much more interesting to ponder than rehashing hodgson trade AGAIN!!! honestly, OP makes a point- but we know already.

16 WINS-its the beauty way to go!

Posted Image

credit to canazzy

#21 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:52 AM

Hodgson would have boosted our powerplay and offence - he is exactly what we were relying on when Daniel went down.

We didn't trade Schneider so we shouldn't of traded Hodgson. You never know when and where injuries will hit. If Luongo was injured instead of Daniel Sedin this team would probably be on the other end of a 3-0 lead right now because we'd keep our scoring and great goaltending. Instead we have good goaltending and no offence.
Posted Image

#22 Cristalinastar

Cristalinastar

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

Nope.

We had 2 healthy Sedins for the playoffs in 2009, 2010, and 2011. They didn't win us
anything then, and they wouldn't win us anything
now.

While we are blaming i blame stubbornness & lack of adaptability on part of coach/managment.
Didnt get right kind of players didnt change PP on and on. I sure hope we see some new faces and attitudes for next season.

Edited by Cristalinastar, 16 April 2012 - 12:54 AM.

16 WINS-its the beauty way to go!

Posted Image

credit to canazzy

#23 ssingh

ssingh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:54 AM

Exactly. MG's trade may not have been the greatest....but there was a reason. He had the pieces in place for this team. It was just a matter of executing on the ice..which hasn't happened. The players are clearly the ones to blame, then comes the coaching staff.
Mike Gillis as a GM has been great and he's slowly putting together a fairly decent prospect pool for us. He's the least of the worries.

Edited by ssingh, 16 April 2012 - 12:54 AM.

Posted Image

RIP Luc Bourdon
RIP Carly Bragnalo

QUOTE (HiFiclub @ Mar 6 2009, 10:40 AM) We will unload our load on the 'loaded' flames team.

#24 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

Hodgson would have boosted our powerplay and offence - he is exactly what we were relying on when Daniel went down.

We didn't trade Schneider so we shouldn't of traded Hodgson. You never know when and where injuries will hit. If Luongo was injured instead of Daniel Sedin this team would probably be on the other end of a 3-0 lead right now because we'd keep our scoring and great goaltending. Instead we have good goaltending and no offence.

yup, if Kassian goes down, nobody is going to care because Weise, Bitz and pretty much fill that void, grit is easy to find. If Henrik or Kesler go down, guess what? your screwed because Malhotra, or Pahlsson don't have the talent Cody Hodgson has.

#25 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

But they didn't lose the opening series 0-4 against the 8th seeder and 2nd lowest scoring team in the NHL this year, did they?

No, but they made Khabby and Niemi look like Vezina winners.

While we are blaming i blame stubbornness & lack of adaptability on part of coach/managment.
Didnt get right kind of players didnt change PP on and on. I sure hope we see some new faces and attitudes for next season.

AV is certainly not the right guy to go with next season. I've never liked him as a coach and I've said it dozens of times in the passed, he's not a "winner."
Posted Image

#26 hockeyfan-observer

hockeyfan-observer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

Said right after trade deadline, this was not a trade I would have made for this years playoffs. It has nothing to do with Kassian as he may be a good player few years down the road. Cody really did not play too much under AV and would have been a relative raw rookie in this years playoffs. Since he is new, we can only judge what he did in the regular season. Goal in Detroit, winning goal against SJ, goal and assist in Boston and several shootout goals. The guy could score with that slap shot and definitely could pass. He won the Canadian Player of the Year playing half a season in junior. Personally, I would have taken that chance and kept him - even if he was on the third line, there would be some threat and he could move up in case of injury. if wanted to trade him, do it in the offseason. At the time of the trade, the Canucks were no. 1 in the league and a pretty respectable pp. Seems like components of the team game have gone south ever since. I sincerely hope I am wrong and the Canucks do come back but looks like this may have altered the team chemistry more than the GM realized.

#27 Ronald_Reagan

Ronald_Reagan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

What you don't realize is that Cody Hodgson scored a powerplay goal against Boston. That means he would have won the Conn Smythe Trophy.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.