The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So Now Who Do We Trade, Sign And Let Go?

DownUndaCanuck

Simple question. We're right up against the Cap and here's a list of the UFA's we have next season:

Pahlsson - $2.65 million, will most likely take a big cut

Bitz - $700K

Volpatti - $612K

Ebbett - $525K, will probably want more

Salo - $2 million

Rome - $750K

Reinprecht - $2.05 million

Pinnizotto - $600K

Mancari - $525K

Here's a list of the RFA's:

Raymond - $2.55 million, should take a cut

Weise - $605K, will probably want more

Gragnani - $550K

Duco - $550K

Lack - $900K

Parent - $925K

Oreskovich $605K

Schneider - $900K, will want a lot more

Here's a list of our players with a No Trade Clause:

Sedins

Kesler

Malhotra (unfortunately)

Bieksa

Hamhuis

Salo

Luongo

So for next season, who do you want the Canucks to let walk to another team and who do you want traded?

Personally I want us to sign Volpatti, Bitz, Pahlsson, Ebbett, Pinnizotto, Rome, Weise, Duco, Gragnani and Lack.

Let Reinprecht, Salo (retire), Mancari, Parent, Oreskovich (maybe sign for the AHL only) and Raymond walk.

Trade Schneider for a big, physical top-4 defenceman.

Trade Tanev when his stock is high for an skillfull, small, fast top-6 forward.

Trade Ballard for picks or preferably a big physical depth defenceman.

Trade Raymond's rights for whatever its worth.

Simple question. We're right up against the Cap and here's a list of the UFA's we have next season:

Pahlsson - $2.65 million, will most likely take a big cut

Bitz - $700K

Volpatti - $612K

Ebbett - $525K, will probably want more

Salo - $2 million

Rome - $750K

Reinprecht - $2.05 million

Pinnizotto - $600K

Mancari - $525K

Here's a list of the RFA's:

Raymond - $2.55 million, should take a cut

Weise - $605K, will probably want more

Gragnani - $550K

Duco - $550K

Lack - $900K

Parent - $925K

Oreskovich $605K

Schneider - $900K, will want a lot more

Here's a list of our players with a No Trade Clause:

Sedins

Kesler

Malhotra (unfortunately)

Bieksa

Hamhuis

Salo

Luongo

So for next season, who do you want the Canucks to let walk to another team and who do you want traded?

Personally I want us to sign Volpatti, Bitz, Pahlsson, Ebbett, Pinnizotto, Rome, Weise, Duco, Gragnani and Lack.

Let Reinprecht, Salo (retire), Mancari, Parent, Oreskovich (maybe sign for the AHL only) and Raymond walk.

Trade Schneider for a big, physical top-4 defenceman.

Trade Tanev when his stock is high for an skillfull, small, fast top-6 forward.

Trade Ballard for picks or preferably a big physical depth defenceman.

Trade Raymond's rights for whatever its worth.

They need Ryan Suter badly. I'm not going to comment on anything else, but they need to sign Ryan Suter, if they want to take that next step. Right now, he's all we are missing. A Norris calibre defencemen.

Get rid of Ballard and Edler through trades and offer Suter 8 million DOLLARS. The cap might go up so might as well cash in on the best UFA this summer. Edler should go for young players like Henrique and Larsson. Or Edler for Huberdu and Gudbranson. Ballard should go for whatever he fetches, I don't care.

Larsson-Suter can look pretty damn sexy as a top D-pairing.

This team needs a Philly-like-shakeup of their core but unfortunately most of our players are under NTC.

Personally I would trade Kesler after having such a brutal year, looks like he's gotten into the mindset of playing cheap, diving hockey over the hard-nosed, proud performances he put on last playoffs. 20 goals and 50 points for our 2nd liner is alright but personally I'd prefer Hodgson next season over an ageing Kesler. Go find a smart, skillfull and tiny playmaker who will set up the younger Booth to make it Booth's line.

Get rid of Bieksa, this team needs more shutdown defencemen and less puck movers. 1 solid puckmover in Edler is enough and Hamhuis is more than capable, but we need more guys on our backend who play physically and play a shutdown style. Defence wins championships, it won one against us last season and it's about to be the reason we get booted in the 1st round. Boston and L.A both thrive with 1 offensive defenceman (Chara, Doughty) and the rest are shutdown, physical guys (Mitchell, Greene, Boychuk, Seidenberg etc.). Bieksa, Ballard and even Tanev can all go and hopefully get replaced by bigger, physical shutdown men who can't score but don't have to.

Malhotra would preferably be replaced by Lapierre on the 4th line and Pahlsson taking his spot on the 3rd line.

This team needs a Philly-like-shakeup of their core but unfortunately most of our players are under NTC.

Personally I would trade Kesler after having such a brutal year, looks like he's gotten into the mindset of playing cheap, diving hockey over the hard-nosed, proud performances he put on last playoffs. 20 goals and 50 points for our 2nd liner is alright but personally I'd prefer Hodgson next season over an ageing Kesler. Go find a smart, skillfull and tiny playmaker who will set up the younger Booth to make it Booth's line.

Get rid of Bieksa, this team needs more shutdown defencemen and less puck movers. 1 solid puckmover in Edler is enough and Hamhuis is more than capable, but we need more guys on our backend who play physically and play a shutdown style. Defence wins championships, it won one against us last season and it's about to be the reason we get booted in the 1st round. Boston and L.A both thrive with 1 offensive defenceman (Chara, Doughty) and the rest are shutdown, physical guys (Mitchell, Greene, Boychuk, Seidenberg etc.). Bieksa, Ballard and even Tanev can all go and hopefully get replaced by bigger, physical shutdown men who can't score but don't have to.

Malhotra would preferably be replaced by Lapierre on the 4th line and Pahlsson taking his spot on the 3rd line.

Schneider>Murray

UFA>David Jones

let walk>raymond, malhotra, salo, and Ballard

11 million dollars for

Burrows, Edler, Higgins, and Hansen. raises.

Bottom 3 D of Tanev Edler Gragnani all being payed a combined 6 million for a few years to come. Murray making a million.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Kassian

Higgins Lapierre Jones it even sounds liek a 3rd line lmao

Bitz Pahllson Hansen

Hamhuis Bieksa Shut down line

Murray Tanev 2 way complete player line

Edler Gragnani offensive passing line

Luongo

Have our norris D man who is playing with Phaneuf and Subban.at WHC at the age of 19.

The Florida Panthers dumped 3 really bad contracts on the organization. Ballard and Booth, and Reinprecht.

Ballard (although he DID play a good game last night) is usually not very reliable. Even before his injuries, he was a healthy scratch constantly. Needs to be traded.

Booth. I know everyone seems to love the AMEX line, but since Booth arrived, it seems like the chemistry with whomever he plays with just isn't there. The way he plays at this point, is just a little taller version of Mayray. He also needs to be moved.

Reinprecht, will be done after this, just came along for the ride in the Booth trade.

3 Contracts: Totalling to over 10 million a year.

The loss of Mikael Samuelsson was a big..., even though at his age, he was still a better fit to the Canucks organization than

any of these guys are. Especially with the price tags they came with.

The Florida Panthers dumped 3 really bad contracts on the organization. Ballard and Booth, and Reinprecht.

Ballard (although he DID play a good game last night) is usually not very reliable. Even before his injuries, he was a healthy scratch constantly. Needs to be traded.

Booth. I know everyone seems to love the AMEX line, but since Booth arrived, it seems like the chemistry with whomever he plays with just isn't there. The way he plays at this point, is just a little taller version of Mayray. He also needs to be moved.

Reinprecht, will be done after this, just came along for the ride in the Booth trade.

3 Contracts: Totalling to over 10 million a year.

The loss of Mikael Samuelsson was a big..., even though at his age, he was still a better fit to the Canucks organization than

any of these guys are. Especially with the price tags they came with.

- Raymond should get let go.

- We should re-sign Pahlsson for about 1.5m (unless he retires or something).

- If Salo doesn't retire, sign to another 1-year deal.

- Trade Schneider for top 4 defenceman. (Ex. Victor Hedman is a good choice and Tampa needs a goaltender)

- Sign Weise again. I like him and feels he gets a bit of a bad rap (also he's only 23 and has room to grow).

- Give Schroeder a chance with the big club, I say, to play with Kesler and Booth. People say that Booth and Kesler lack chemistry but I say they need a better playmaker with them. Schroeder provides this and is a good speedy skilled guy (Marchand/Gerbe).

- Keep Kassian in the minors for a large chunk of the season, at least, to let him develop more.

Lineups would look something like:

D.Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Schroeder

Higgins - Pahlsson - Hansen

Malhotra - Lapierre - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Hedman

Ballard - Tanev (Ballard with Tanev actually works quite well. I think Ballard likes the idea of being in a mentor role to make up for his lack of top 4 minutes and Tanev can only get better from here)

Luongo

Lack

I would like to see how this works out and if it doesn't there is always trade deadline to change coaches, get a better top 6 forward, better defencemen, etc.

EDIT: I can see the crazy blow-up-team suggestions are in full gear. Trade Edler?! :picard:

I agree with letting Mason Raymond go,However we shouldn't sign Salo again to risk having him out a portion of the year again and we shouldn't let go of Schneider as Lu/Schneids is the best nhl tandem so why mess with it. Who would sign Ballard right now just coming off being injured for a long time? We might be able to trade him during next season but not in the off season.

I personally think we should get rid of our coach for a few reasons the biggest is we haven't won the cup with him (even though he is the only coach who has gotten us that close in a while) He has made some poor coaching decisions like changing up a working D tandem just before play-offs and its time for a new coach. We could bring up Craig Mctavish from our AHL team, which might of been the plan when hiring Craig for that team if A.V didn't perform.

First to finally go like many have been screaming for 3 years AV and his coaching staff. Their outcoached every year.

Sutter is using the coaching offence for dummies book against them.

How many guys do they have that have atleast scored 20 goals in one year but they can't get to produce in Av's nonexistent offencive system.

Raymond let walk I don't get what happened with him but wow!

Malholtra and Ballard possiblly but another coach might actualy know how to use him properly

PS don't worry about AV as Montreal needs a french speaking coach

Archived