The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So Now Who Do We Trade, Sign And Let Go?

DownUndaCanuck

This team needs a Philly-like-shakeup of their core but unfortunately most of our players are under NTC.

Personally I would trade Kesler after having such a brutal year, looks like he's gotten into the mindset of playing cheap, diving hockey over the hard-nosed, proud performances he put on last playoffs. 20 goals and 50 points for our 2nd liner is alright but personally I'd prefer Hodgson next season over an ageing Kesler. Go find a smart, skillfull and tiny playmaker who will set up the younger Booth to make it Booth's line.

Get rid of Bieksa, this team needs more shutdown defencemen and less puck movers. 1 solid puckmover in Edler is enough and Hamhuis is more than capable, but we need more guys on our backend who play physically and play a shutdown style. Defence wins championships, it won one against us last season and it's about to be the reason we get booted in the 1st round. Boston and L.A both thrive with 1 offensive defenceman (Chara, Doughty) and the rest are shutdown, physical guys (Mitchell, Greene, Boychuk, Seidenberg etc.). Bieksa, Ballard and even Tanev can all go and hopefully get replaced by bigger, physical shutdown men who can't score but don't have to.

Malhotra would preferably be replaced by Lapierre on the 4th line and Pahlsson taking his spot on the 3rd line.

What a bunch of fannies. Is there one of you in this thread that is either out of school or any good at your chosen job. I doubt it.

The lack of grit, character and loyalty in this fan base is embarrassing not to say disgusting. If the Canucks get past this round every one of you should get to xxxx

Players I want to keep:

Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Kassian (on account of potential), Hamhuis, Schneider

Players I’m indifferent about:

Kesler, Booth, Paulsson, Lapierre, Edler, Salo, Tanev, Bitz, Luango

Players in need of change of address at the earliest:

Raymond, Malhotra, Weiss, Bieksa, Rome, Alberts, Ballard*

*Would not mind waiting to see if a new coach can turn him into a confident top 4 D.

Keep Schneider over Luango but, as always, everything depends on the return.

PS,

Concerning the “instigator rule” it is obvious, and has been for some time, that Don Cherry has won the debate. Roughness and targeting of star players, in absence of available retaliation to the specific guilty party, is on the rise and the inconsistent refereeing and disciplining only encourages more.

Food for thought when constructing next year’s roster. I would aim for a legit (meaning he enjoys it and is somewhat good at it) bruiser on every line. Kassian, at this point, it at best 3rd line material, 4th can be filled easily given the skill level demanded. So we need a couple of guys who can hit for 20 and ain’t afraid of knuckle work, and, most importantly, do not wait to see if the other guy is willing when asked, but get straight to it.

Guys that look tough in a scrum and NEVER hurt a fly (e.g. Rome) are not wanted!

What a bunch of fannies. Is there one of you in this thread that is either out of school or any good at your chosen job. I doubt it.

The lack of grit, character and loyalty in this fan base is embarrassing not to say disgusting. If the Canucks get past this round every one of you should get to xxxx

Ask Malhotra to waive his NTC, if not, waive him. Being classy does not win you games, MG was stupid to make the promises he made about not asking players to waive their NTC's.

Package Raymond and Ballard (im original :P) for ANYTHING, preferably picks and prospects, its important we do not take any contracts back when trading these players.

Then he has to make a tough decision, get the best offer for either Luongo or CS. Then make another big splash by trading Edler for a legit top 6 forward to replace the hole Raymond leaves or a shutdown defenceman.

Go hard after Suter, Justin Schultz, Parise

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Parise - Kesler - Booth

Higgin - ( ) - Hansen

Kassian - Lappiere - ( )

Hamhuis - Suter

Bieksa - Schultz

Tanev - Gragnani

Luongo/Schneider

Lack

I don't how this off season is going to unfold but here's what I would do if I was in charge.

I know players have NTC and NMC, but I think all bets are off and any changes that need to be made, are made. if a player has an NTC/NMC and MG wants to move them, he should be approaching them about waiving it........they've all had their chances to win here, and have failed.......Sedins included, who are in both the untouchable and bubble categories.

Untouchable

Danny

Hank

Schneider

Burrows

Lappiere

Hamhuis

Salo

Kassian

Higgins

Hansen

Tanev

Volpatti

Bubble players

Kesler

Edler

Booth

Bieksa

Danny

Hank

Pahlsson

Rome

Gragnani

Alberts

Pinnizoto

Weise

Gone

Luongo

Manny

Ballard

Raymond

Bitz

Ebbett

I put players in the untouchable category based on effort level, clutch play and committment to the team game. Shouldn't be too many surprises, as most of these players go full out, show a true committment to the team game and play their hearts out. I'm sure kassian gets a few eyebrows, but no way is the guy they traded hodgson for being moved out. All are on very good contracts for what they provide.

Bubble guys are players who don't seem to show up when they are truly needed, have inflated contracts for the services provided or are just non impact players, but aren't liabilities either. The twins are on this list too,a s they are the part of a core who have had their chance, imo, but I don't see them being moved. I think there is a 50/50 chance that Kes gets moved. I get he was injured, but I am getting a little tired of the Kesler show with his antics and his inability to create any kind of chemistry with anyone he plays with......he is the epitome of a selfish player. I think Booth, Pahlsson, Bieksa and Edler all stay, but it's no guarantee......if the right deal came along, or they needed cap space to sign a big name guy, they could be moved or not signed.

The gone category is pretty self explanatory. I don't see any way for Luongo to stay in Vancouver and his inconsistent play has worn out its welcome. He's been usurped by Schneider and it's time for him and the team to move on.......and I think he knows it. Manny has become dead weight with a big contract for what he provides. Pahlsson and Lappy provide the same service for a cheaper price and bring more intangibles to their game. Raymond........well I actually like him, but all flash, no dash, and it's time to get rid of the oevr abundance of players like that from the roster. Ballard is a no brainer, though he's been better......huge contract, but one dimensional. Bitz is useless, Ebbett redundant.

As I said, I understand there NTC's and NMC's involved, and that MG has said he would never approach a player about waiving it, but MG's job is in the bubble category so I expect he will do what is necessary to keep his job.

sadly, AV will land in Montreal, despite there being no replacement that is anywhere near his level.

Get rid of Ballard and Edler through trades and offer Suter 8 million DOLLARS. The cap might go up so might as well cash in on the best UFA this summer. Edler should go for young players like Henrique and Larsson. Or Edler for Huberdu and Gudbranson. Ballard should go for whatever he fetches, I don't care.

Larsson-Suter can look pretty damn sexy as a top D-pairing.

Players I want to keep:

Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Kassian (on account of potential), Hamhuis, Schneider

Players I’m indifferent about:

Kesler, Booth, Paulsson, Lapierre, Edler, Salo, Tanev, Bitz, Luango

Players in need of change of address at the earliest:

Raymond, Malhotra, Weiss, Bieksa, Rome, Alberts, Ballard*

*Would not mind waiting to see if a new coach can turn him into a confident top 4 D.

Keep Schneider over Luango but, as always, everything depends on the return.

PS,

Concerning the “instigator rule” it is obvious, and has been for some time, that Don Cherry has won the debate. Roughness and targeting of star players, in absence of available retaliation to the specific guilty party, is on the rise and the inconsistent refereeing and disciplining only encourages more.

Food for thought when constructing next year’s roster. I would aim for a legit (meaning he enjoys it and is somewhat good at it) bruiser on every line. Kassian, at this point, it at best 3rd line material, 4th can be filled easily given the skill level demanded. So we need a couple of guys who can hit for 20 and ain’t afraid of knuckle work, and, most importantly, do not wait to see if the other guy is willing when asked, but get straight to it.

Guys that look tough in a scrum and NEVER hurt a fly (e.g. Rome) are not wanted!

"Package Raymond and Ballard (im original :P) for ANYTHING, preferably picks and prospects, its important we do not take any contracts back when trading these players."

No, not original, just lacking sense AND judgement. Watch the game again and see just how much.

"Package Raymond and Ballard (im original :P) for ANYTHING, preferably picks and prospects, its important we do not take any contracts back when trading these players."

No, not original, just lacking sense AND judgement. Watch the game again and see just how much.

Archived