The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Two Cents....your Two Cents?

mr wicked

While i hope the canucks can go on a 4 game winning streak, I would like to share my 2 cents about the situation. This team has become a shoot first team, puting it in the goalies logo every time, This team wasen't like this the last few seasons....heck... they weren't even like this at the begining of the year. If i could put a finger on it i would put it on the booth trade.... don't get me wrong booth is a good player, but i believe his playing style "shoot first" game has changed the team.... but mostly in kesler... these two on the same line are not working...and when seperated they still do not use there line mates! The trade that moved play maker samuelsson in for a shoot first power forward was a mistake. Since the trade I see mostly Booth and Kesler but followed by raymond,higgins,hansen,malhaltra take the "shoot first" antics, What happend to moving the puck around to make the other team and goalie scramble? Even watching odd man rushes in our favour wheather it is a 3 on 1 or 2 on 1 , you look for the 1,2 pass, or the tic tac toe pass to make the goalie scramble... but all we got to offer is a puck on his logo. With a do or die situation like we got we have to try and get the shoot first players on puck moving lines, my suggestion is: (1) Sedin Sedin Burrows   (2)Higgins Kesler Lappy (3)Booth Pahlsson Hansen (4)Kassian Malhaltra Raymond..... I say kassian on the power play,to park is ass infront of the net. And why did we not see what schroeder had to offer before the playoffs? maybe he is our dustin brown...our hidden gem. All i can say is one of these players ,booth or kesler gotta go in the off season. With both goalies having such high trade value a package with one of those players could bring in some significants.....say isn't nash available? thats my two cents.

If i could put a finger on it i would put it on the booth trade.... don't get me wrong booth is a good player, but i blieve his playing style "shoot first" game has changed the team.... but mostly in kesler... these two on the same line are not working...and when seperated they still do not use there line mates! The trade that moved play maker samuelson in for a shoot first power forward was a mistake.

My two cents is this team will not win the cup. Even if they pull an epic comeback against LA, the heart just isn't there. I watch the games and I see no heart, no determination to win. This is the exact opposite of the team I watched win the first two games of last year's SCF. Or the game 6 OT loss against Chicago after dropping the two losses. Or the game 7 OT win that propelled them into round 2.

They look lost on the ice. Like they don't know where to go or what to do. Missed pass after missed pass, icing calls, delays of game. Terrible shots that yield excellent rebound opportunities and no one is there to smack the puck in.

They've been playing like this since that loss to Calgary in December. They've had a handful of good games in that span, but most of the games were either barely won or uninspired losses.

When a team is defeated before the game even starts, you know they're probably not going to pull it off. I hope that the Canucks can wake the hell up and turn this around, but unless they really find their groove and motivation, they won't win the cup.

Daniels absence aside.The Sedin line needs to be solidified once and for all with a huge player thAt can score.That would keep the other teams top D in front of the net and open up the corners for them.The second line has three players that drive the puck wide and shoot,which is good for the shot totals and is a nice counter to the cycling line but the sum of its parts should be higher.the bottom six are actually pretty solid IMO,a nice mix of versatile defenders that can keep the puck out of the net.it lacks two gamers like Ott and Neil that always seem to thrive in the postseason.The defense has the pieces but the top guys play too much and make tired mistakes,they need another star player on the back end like they had in erhoff.I hope they come back ,it isn't over and like I say this group is missing its star player right now,not many teams are in that same predicament.

Daniels absence aside.The Sedin line needs to be solidified once and for all with a huge player thAt can score.That would keep the other teams top D in front of the net and open up the corners for them.The second line has three players that drive the puck wide and shoot,which is good for the shot totals and is a nice counter to the cycling line but the sum of its parts should be higher.the bottom six are actually pretty solid IMO,a nice mix of versatile defenders that can keep the puck out of the net.it lacks two gamers like Ott and Neil that always seem to thrive in the postseason.The defense has the pieces but the top guys play too much and make tired mistakes,they need another star player on the back end like they had in erhoff.I hope they come back ,it isn't over and like I say this group is missing its star player right now,not many teams are in that same predicament.

Huh?

You're talking about Samuelsson, as in Mikael Samuelsson? He has always been a shoot first kind of player. That's one of the reasons the Canucks brought him in. He's the kind of guy that fires the puck hoping good things will happen.

I've always believed in shooting the puck (even though I am a goalie). All the tic-tac-toe stuff just gets the puck picked off. The Canucks (as do most teams) play best when they play simple and don't try to get too fancy.

Edit: A little data to back that up...

2010-2011, he was 3rd in team shooting with 215 shots

2009-2010, 2nd with 219

2008-2009, 3rd with 257 (Red Wings)

2007-2008, 3rd with 249 (Red Wings)

Keep it simple. Put the puck on the net and drive hard for rebounds.

My two cents on what's going on:

-Kesler needs to grow up. He is playing like a little brat in junior. He doesn't pass, he's giving up the puck as much as Raymond does these days and he has become the biggest prima donna and diver I have ever had to witness. It is literally come to the point where he is insulting the team more than helping it succeed.

-Booth has been a complete disappointment. Two big injuries kept him from putting up the points we know he can score, but it's his overall hockey sense that isn't showing. Like Kesler, he does not utilize the rest of his team and tries to be a one man show.

-Quick outperformed Schneider (barely) in game 3. Games 1 & 2 Luongo stood on his head for us, and we still gave up 4 goals a game. Quick is performing just as good, if not better than our goalies and our defense isn't supporting them at all.

-Edler looks like crap right now. My favourite Canuck, playing worse than Shane O'Brien in his worst years right now. He is actually the only one I see who is giving up the puck tot he opposition more than Kesler/Raymond. He is constantly having to chase attackers and is getting caught behind the play. I don't know what but something has shook Edler off his game.

-The Hodgson deal. If all you have to respond is "it's over let it go" then go stick your head in an oven. Yes we know the deal is done and irreversible but the trade still dramatically changed this team, and like it or not, it is a reason why we are struggling so much. With less than 30 games in the season we traded a player who was coming out of his shell, having a breakout year and had finally found his stride with his linemates and team. We traded him for a player with tremendous amounts of upside and size, which on paper sounds great because that is exactly what killed us last year. However the deal was made at the worst possible time. We traded away our 2nd line PP centre for a player who is at the very least, 1 full year behind Cody in development.

Since the deal our PP went right down the tube. Yes Cody wanted a place where he could get the proper minutes he needed, but the deal was one you make in the offseason and not at the deadline. It shook up our lines, the guys in the locker room didn't seem to thrilled about it, and we were left with less scoring depth than last year. So much for the depth is most important angle that AV and MG preach. Oh and don't give me that crap about how Cody isn't performing well in Buffalo because the point is that he WAS performing here just fine and grabbing plenty of clutch goals for us. At the end of it all, it was a bad trade by an inexperienced GM and we are paying for it now. Kassian still could become the Bertuzzi 2.o that we all are hoping for but it doesn't change the fact that it was a bad time to make that deal, and honestly, we did not get a fair return.

We've put almost a hundred pucks at the net in the last 2 games. You can't do anything by throwing the puck on net if there's no rebound. Quick knows what he's doing.

The only way I could see us beating him is with what OP said, those Sedinery passes that freeze the D and catch the goalie cheating or scrambling.

Simply shooting hasn't worked whatsoever for us in the last 10 playoff games.

Huh?

You're talking about Samuelsson, as in Mikael Samuelsson? He has always been a shoot first kind of player. That's one of the reasons the Canucks brought him in. He's the kind of guy that fires the puck hoping good things will happen.

I've always believed in shooting the puck (even though I am a goalie). All the tic-tac-toe stuff just gets the puck picked off. The Canucks (as do most teams) play best when they play simple and don't try to get too fancy.

Edit: A little data to back that up...

2010-2011, he was 3rd in team shooting with 215 shots

2009-2010, 2nd with 219

2008-2009, 3rd with 257 (Red Wings)

2007-2008, 3rd with 249 (Red Wings)

Keep it simple. Put the puck on the net and drive hard for rebounds.

In my opinion the media focuses way too much on shot totals sometimes. They can be a good indicator of strong play if a good percentage of those shots are legitimate scoring opportunities. I think the same thing is happening to the Canucks that happened in the finals last year. Boston had gargantuan defenseman that boxed us out and allowed almost nothing in the interior of the ice. Our forwards look kind of small and weak out there (save for one player who is unfairly called soft by the media, Henrik Sedin, I have never seen him play with so much grit and sandpaper, he's really strong on the puck out there). When Boston won the Stanley Cup, the rest of the NHL is trying to copy their model with getting massively strong players. The ice is not big enough to outskill them if they aren't bad skaters and L.A. is not. They may just have more complete skill than the Canucks.

While i hope the canucks can go on a 4 game winning streak, I would like to share my 2 cents about the situation. This team has become a shoot first team, puting it in the goalies logo every time, This team wasen't like this the last few seasons....heck... they weren't even like this at the begining of the year. If i could put a finger on it i would put it on the booth trade.... don't get me wrong booth is a good player, but i believe his playing style "shoot first" game has changed the team.... but mostly in kesler... these two on the same line are not working...and when seperated they still do not use there line mates! The trade that moved play maker samuelson in for a shoot first power forward was a mistake. Since the trade I see mostly Booth and Kesler but followed by raymond,higgins,hansen,malhaltra take the "shoot first" antics, What happend to moving the puck around to make the other team and goalie scramble? Even watching odd man rushes in our favour wheather it is a 3 on 1 or 2 on 1 , you look for the 1,2 pass, or the tic tac toe pass to make the goalie scramble... but all we got to offer is a puck on his logo. With a do or die situation like we got we have to try and get the shoot first players on puck moving lines, my suggestion is: (1) Sedin Burrows Kassian (2)Higgins Kesler Lappy (3)Booth Pahlsson Hansen (4)Wiese Malhaltra Raymond..... I say kassian on the first line to park is ass infront of the net. And why did we not see what schroeder had to offer before the playoffs? maybe he is our dustin brown...our hidden gem. All i can say is one of these players ,booth or kesler gotta go in the off season. With both goalies having such high trade value a package with one of those players could bring in some significants.....say isn't nash available? thats my two cents.

Archived