The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So What Suspensions Should Be Handed Out

inkorea

Easily the worst week in Hockey ever with all the cheap shots around the league. Rememember the human brain doesnt hear the word no so if you tell someone "dont do drugs" the brain hears "drugs". With all the new rules about head shots whats happening... more headshots than ever.

The hit on Brown last night was not clean and I cant believe anyone would say it was. It was targeting a player in a vulnerable position and trying to hurt him. Also he tried to follow through with his forearm.

The hit on Smith by Shaw was horrible.

Alfredsson was attacked by an elbow and Neal did two hits in one shift last night that targeted star players.

The Keith attack on Daniel was just brutal.

What do all this incidents have in common: they are intentional attacks on star players to put them out of the game so your team can get an advantage to win a hockey game or series.

Think about it players, coaches and teams have sunk so low that they are intentionally trying to hurt star players as a tactic to win. Isnt this similar to why year long suspensions were handed out in the NFL.

I think all these current incidents should be grouped into one hearing and a message sent that if you intentionallly try to injure the other teams players that you are going to sit out a very long time and lose a lot of your salary.

So what suspensions should be given out for intentional head shots and intent to injure by over hitting.

If Neal has a hearing for the Couturier hit Brown should also be at a hearing.

Shaw would not be allowed to play for a very long time if I was in charge of suspensions.

I feel bad for Asham as he was trying to protect his player after Schenn tried to injure someone with a hit and Asham ends up getting kicked out.

I like old school hockey with hitting and fights but there is a thin line between rough and dirty and the league has gone over and into the side of dirty play.

If the league doesnt want to police this then lets take away the instigator rule and the second fight rule and see how long this cheap shop artists last out there when they have to answer to cheap shots by a fair fight.

lol you had to bump this because no one wanted to reply to this and tell you how far off you are.

Browns hit was CLEAN last night, like it or not it was 100% clean and a hard hit, you want to blame someone for it, blame our bench for not warning Hank, I felt someone was coming as soon as he did that little turn out away from the boards, he should've as well, he didn't pick up Brown though and neither did the rest of the Canucks. The hit was clean though. Far as the rest of the NHL goes, the faster the game gets played the more headshots your going to see, although some of the one's you've listed were definite targets of the head, and thats when you need to see 15-20 game suspensions, these puny 3-5 game suspensions deter no one.

1) The hit on Brown last night was not clean and I cant believe anyone would say it was. It was targeting a player in a vulnerable position and trying to hurt him. Also he tried to follow through with his forearm.

Henrik even said that wasn't a bad hit, he didn't think it was a dirty hit.

2) The hit on Smith by Shaw was horrible.

This hit crossed the line.....

3) Alfredsson was attacked by an elbow and Neal did two hits in one shift last night that targeted star players.

Haglin already got suspended for 3 games..... and obviously star players will get hit, you can't let them score, you have to hit them.

4) So what suspensions should be given out for intentional head shots and intent to injure by over hitting.

4-5 games....... (MAX) You can't just take them out longer than that, you can't take out hitting out of the game and you just have to play with your head up.

5) If Neal has a hearing for the Couturier hit Brown should also be at a hearing.

Brown's hit wasn't dirty, simple as that. Even Henrik said it himself.

6) Shaw would not be allowed to play for a very long time if I was in charge of suspensions.

4-5 games..... READ NUMBER 4

11) I feel bad for Asham as he was trying to protect his player after Schenn tried to injure someone with a hit and Asham ends up getting kicked out.

I agree with this 100%

12) If the league doesnt want to police this then lets take away the instigator rule and the second fight rule and see how long this cheap shop artists last out there when they have to answer to cheap shots by a fair fight.

No comment, let the league decide.

Can we suspend the OP from making any more posts?

The hit was clean, maybe a half second late at best. Take off your homer goggles and get your head out of your rectum. Maybe then you'll be able to see the hockey game that everyone else is watching.

Apparently others are wondering too, this is an article from Digital Journal:

After a season of handing out suspensions like a right-wing talk-radio host hands out opinions, NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan has lost his way when it matters the most. The result? A Stanley Cup playoffs with unchecked, and unnecessary, violence.

Violence, in particular of a headshot variety, has become, along with potential upsets, the primary story of the first round of these 2012 NHL Stanley Cup playoffs. Shanahan's reaction to the first of the postseason headshots was so weak that some players seem to have gotten it into their heads that lengthy punishments would not be the order of the day. And they're right.

Shea Weber: Miniscule fine, no message sent

Many NHL pundits, and fans, were surprised on the opening night of the playoffs of April 11 when Nashville Predator Shea Weber grabbed Detroit's Henrik Zetterberg's head and slammed it hard into the plexiglass, hard enough to crack the Red Wing star's helmet, and Shanahan responded weakly. His decision was to fine Weber 2500 dollars; given the Preds all-star made $7.5 million this season, to him it's the equivalent of a pack of hockey cards.

In his ruling Shanahan said he took into account that Zetterberg was well enough to play the next game, foolishly suggesting injury time is related to suspension time, which has never been the case before. By that yardstick Duncan Keith of the Chicago Blackhawks would still be out, given Daniel Sedin of the Vancouver Canucks hasn't returned since Keith intentionally slammed his elbow into his head in March.

The decision to let Weber off seems political as the league clearly wants Nashville to succeed to help solidify the fanbase. The other ruling that combines with the weak Weber fine to suggest the NHL has a love-affair with Nashville is allowing forward Alexander Radulov to play, even though he walked away from a valid NHL contract 4 years ago and played the regular season this year, and intends to play the regular season next year, in the KHL.

NHL 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs: headshots in vogue

Following his weak response we have had nasty play in most of the 8 series, with four headshots in particular standing out and one so vicious that Shanahan acted by handing Carl Hagelin a 3 game suspension for knocking Ottawa Senator captain Daniel Alfredsson out of game 2 of their series. In his customary video release of the hit Shanahan said "Hagelin finishes his check with his arm high, recklessly striking Alfredsson on the side of the head." Those words are underplay of the highest order, it was Hagelin targeting an opponent and ramming his elbow into his head.

After Canuck Aaron Rome got 4 games in the Stanley Cup final last season for an open-ice hit on Nathan Horton, no elbow, no head target, one would expect Hagelin to get more for a text-book offering of the kind of vicious hit they've been telling players since September won't be tolerated. The Rangers issued a statement saying they were confused by the ruling and given that Weber didn't get a single game, there's reason to be sympathetic with them, though hardly because Hagelin was suspended.

Brendan Shanahan reputation diminishes

There was a flurry of fights and headshots over the weekend, match-ups getting progressively nastier with each game. Brian Boyle and the New York Rangers attacked Eric Karlsson, an attempt to target a pivotal player; Arron Asham of the Penguins went ballistic on Flyer Brayden Schenn and will surely draw a lengthy suspension; James Neal of the Pens made two questionable hits and Dustin Brown targeted Henrik Sedin of the Canucks, hitting him at the bottom of the chin; that play could have been called interference - the puck was long gone - charging or intent to injure, but went uncalled. Naturally a fight ensued.

Fighting is a part of playoff hockey, emotions and tempo with hitting are mainstays, but recklessly endangering an opponents ability to fully partake in life, let alone hockey, should not be part of it. Shanahan seems confused or maybe some GM's are getting to him, others not. It's hard to pinpoint why Weber was let off or Keith given so little given his intent to injure, but it's not hard to pinpoint what it has lead to: a 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs that has turned into a gong show. The shackles are off and some players are chomping at the bit to play dirty hockey.

Former NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell proved inept at the job, though it took years to get rid of him, but initially it seemed that Brendan Shanahan might be a capable replacement. That assessment, thanks to the first round of these playoffs, is now very much in doubt

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/323037#ixzz1sE9rfRCd

It was a beautiful hit. Hank had his head down and happened to turn his body towards Brown at the last second thus resulting in a clean shoulder to sternum check. Players don't have to have the puck on their stick to get hit. Anybody who actually has played the game knows this. You got a second to finish your check after a player has distributed the puck.

Canuck fans once again displaying their crybaby, homer, butthurt antics here on CDC.

A tiny bit late and Henrik was unsuspecting so he couldnt`brace for it. Much worse than Rome`s hit. The NHL only throws out discipline when a player is lying on the ice after a hit. The Sedins get no respect from this league. It`s ridiculous.

Can we suspend the OP from making any more posts?

The hit was clean, maybe a half second late at best. Take off your homer goggles and get your head out of your rectum. Maybe then you'll be able to see the hockey game that everyone else is watching.

I thought this hit had a similar nature to the hit on Horton last year, just saying. I could make the argument for that one being clean as well, but the facts are, unsuspecting player, predatory, contact to the chin, a second late, no puck, intent... Look how far Brown came from. Tell me I'm wrong. I'm not saying it was dirty or illegal or clean, I'm just saying that there are some comparables and much like Rome on Horton, I'm not taking a strong stance either way because I can argue both sides.

Archived