The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So What Suspensions Should Be Handed Out

inkorea

Ron McLean actually made sense for a change last night during one of the intermissions.

Shanahan needs to step-in and put stiffer penalties on head hits. Is it just me or are we seeing more head hits now? Or maybe we're just noticing them more? I don't know. Either way, this is ridiculous. The head hunting going on in several series' is unbelievable. I know there's the whole part about not wanting to take hitting out of hockey but...

Look at Dustin Brown's hit last night. I know some people will say it was dirty but in my opinion, it was within the rules of the game. As much as I didn't like the hit, I can't say it was outside the rules. In terms of the timing, there was some similarity with Rome's hit on Nathan Horton last year which I thought was clean as well. If any one of the Canucks' had laid that same hit on Brown, I know I would have been cheering.

I bring up Brown's hit also to show that hitting, and hitting hard, doesn't have to be taken out of the game. Players just need to show more respect for one another. None of this flying in with your elbows around your chin. And certainly no blatant elbows to the head a la Duncan Keith (which everyone on HNIC last night agreed should have resulted in a heavier suspension).

When you follow Brown as he glided in for the hit, he was watching the play the whole time to make sure that he arrived at just the right time. Unfortunately for Henrik, he had his head down and couldn't brace himself for the impact. Should our guys have jumped Brown? I don't think so - but it would have been good for them to have ramped up their physical game against the Kings.

In terms of the other hits, Shaw's is probably going to end in a suspension but in my opinion, Smith made it look worse than it probably was. Neal should be suspended for a few games which should hopefully have a slightly greater impact since he's an important player for the Pen's.

The league was talking all about getting these kinds of hits out of the game this season but it seems to me like it's getting worse. This is a great opportunity to take things seriously and really hammer on someone but I'm afraid that they're going to blow it. Again.

It was a beautiful hit. Hank had his head down and happened to turn his body towards Brown at the last second thus resulting in a clean shoulder to sternum check. Players don't have to have the puck on their stick to get hit. Anybody who actually has played the game knows this. You got a second to finish your check after a player has distributed the puck.

Canuck fans once again displaying their crybaby, homer, butthurt antics here on CDC.

I actually think Brown's hit was clean but a bit late. With that said, I also thought Rome's hit last year was clean and was not as late as Brown's hit yesterday. Rome got suspended 4 games in the Finals of the Stanley Cup finals, the most severe suspension in playoff history. Brown will most likely get nothing. All I ask from this joke of an NHL is consistency.

When a player can take another players head and smash it into the glass and crack their helmet only to receive what is equivalent to the price of a McDonalds Happy meal to me, it's a joke. And then to hand a three game suspension the following day to someone who isn't a repeat offender and the injury wasn't severe when the reason for letting Keith off so lightly was because he wasn't a repeat offender even though the player he injured lost more time makes zero sense. The run on Miller in the beginning of the year was a joke. The list goes on and on. The result should not dictate the sentence. The actions should dictate the sentence.

I don't care who it is or what team it is, the NHL has obviously shown that the health of the players are not the primary concerns, the ability to make more money is the primary concern. Whether a Canuck goes out and runs someone or a Canuck gets run, I'm a fan of hockey first and foremost, not the Canucks and the level of inconsistency in punishment is disgusting.

I actually think Brown's hit was clean but a bit late. With that said, I also thought Rome's hit last year was clean and was not as late as Brown's hit yesterday. Rome got suspended 4 games in the Finals of the Stanley Cup finals, the most severe suspension in playoff history. Brown will most likely get nothing. All I ask from this joke of an NHL is consistency.

When a player can take another players head and smash it into the glass and crack their helmet only to receive what is equivalent to the price of a McDonalds Happy meal to me, it's a joke. And then to hand a three game suspension the following day to someone who isn't a repeat offender and the injury wasn't severe when the reason for letting Keith off so lightly was because he wasn't a repeat offender even though the player he injured lost more time makes zero sense. The run on Miller in the beginning of the year was a joke. The list goes on and on. The result should not dictate the sentence. The actions should dictate the sentence.

I don't care who it is or what team it is, the NHL has obviously shown that the health of the players are not the primary concerns, the ability to make more money is the primary concern. Whether a Canuck goes out and runs someone or a Canuck gets run, I'm a fan of hockey first and foremost, not the Canucks and the level of inconsistency in punishment is disgusting.

It's about as dirty as Rome's hit last year. So yes, Brown should have been suspended. Of course he wasn't, though. He isn't a Canuck. Not to mention Henrik came back, while Nancy "Superstar" Horton didn't.

This league is a joke with its inconsistencies.

It was a beautiful hit. Hank had his head down and happened to turn his body towards Brown at the last second thus resulting in a clean shoulder to sternum check. Players don't have to have the puck on their stick to get hit. Anybody who actually has played the game knows this. You got a second to finish your check after a player has distributed the puck.

Canuck fans once again displaying their crybaby, homer, butthurt antics here on CDC.

I think he and everyone else is more mad at the leagues inconsistency. Rome got 4 SCF games for a clean yet little late hit, wasnt even intent to injure too. Brown didnt even get a penalty, and his hit was the same situation except he wanted to hurt Hank.

Im just saying that this league is a joke. Not just to the Canucks, but every other teams too.

Archived