The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Enough Blame To Go Around

inder19

Enough Blame to go around.

Let’s start at the top

Gillis

Not going to go back as far the Grabner deal or the non signing of Willie Mitchell because I don’t think they were necessarily bad decisions. – See coaching later.

Not resigning Torres – If they really believed toughness was an issue he should have be retained. Especially considering they tried to replace his play with guys like Bitz Pinnizoto.

Ehrhoff wanted the money so maybe you can’t put that on GMMG.

Signing Sturm but it was just a signing and Gillis fixed that bad move pretty quickly.

Moving Samuelsson – I think Gillis underestimated the things he added to the canucks game. Booth is good but Samuelsson can be a piece that helps you win the cup.

Getting Pahlson – I get the rationale here but he is well past his prime and although he is good defensively he cannot contain bigger players.

Kassian-Hodgson – This will get discussed to the nth degree but I still don’t consider this a horrible deal in the long run. What bothers me is if GMMG actually believed what he was saying when he said the trade helps the team NOW. Hodgson is not the answer – he may have had a goal so far in this series but I don’t think he is the missing piece.

Also I think Hodgson was moved because Gillis believes Schroeder will fill in the 3rd line next year as he is a better 2 way player.

I think Gillis Overestimated the Canucks scoring ability. I think Daniel Sedin, Kesler, and Burrows are great but none of them are snipers. They Canucks are built to need a sniper.

AV

Stubbornness with Raymond. I am certain he think Raymond is a 30g player. Get over it he is not.

Hate on for Ballard. I understand Ballard makes mistakes but up until last season Bieksa was a turnover and mistake machine. You have to let players play to get comfortable.

Hodgson, Kassian – AV does not like young players. Tanev is an anomaly.

Stapling players to the bench for making ONE mistake. See Kassians bad giveaway in game 3.. well you know what, I saw Malhotra and Pahlsson make that same play and give it away, they were on the ice for the goal against as well.

Not sticking with what works. Lapierre-Henrik-Burrows worked at the time....seeing as your team can’t buy a goal you have to at least TRY that line again.

Passion – I don’t doubt that AV wants to win and yes he is a Very good coach but sometimes what your team needs is the coach standing on the bench with a vein on his neck ready to burst yelling and screaming. I am not saying that should be once every few games but it can get a team going.

Timeouts – I seriously think that AV thinks you can bank timeouts and cash them in at the end of the year. Look at as recent as this playoffs – Laviolette has called his early in each game, Torts called it at the perfect time in game 1. It always feels like to me that AV can’t gauge the emotion of his team. Using a timeout is not a bad thing.

Gives the other team WAY too much credit – Why is it that the canucks are always saying “We ran into a hot goaltender”

Quick is good but If you shoot high you will succeed against him.

Line-ups – I haven’t played at very HIGH level of hockey but one thing evident to me is that when a top line player is missing (unless it’s the centre) Don’t shift a player up on each line and disrupt all 4 lines. Either dress a new player and put him on that line OR dress a player for the 2nd line and move a 2nd liner to top line. When you bring in a 4th liner and move a 4th to 3rd line, 3rd to 2nd line, and 2nd liner to first line you are ruining ALL chemistry.

Should he be fired? I Like AV but yes. This team is still not over the gm7 loss to Boston and either you move a big piece of the core – Kesler /Luongo - or you fire the coach.

Players

Raymond – Enough said

Kesler – Helped lose game 1 by going back to his hold antics. Man up and show you are better than your opponent. Stop diving and trying to draw penalties.

Edler – Shocked at his bad playoffs but can see this being a learning experience for him.

Booth – Going to the net made you successful and you have forgotten how to do that in the playoffs.

Higgins – Where are you?

Salo – Looks tired

Malhotra – Shadow of his former self

Pahlsonn – His is old and giving what he can

If they are going to lose I hope it’s in 4 so there are NO excuses. Well they will obviously say Daniel is missing and that does hurt but they are a better team than 0-4 against kings.

I am also worried that IF Canucks win game 4 a non 100% Daniel will dress for game 5.

Off Season -

I am expecting a youth movement

Sedin – Sedin – Burrows or UFA sniper

Jensen – Kesler – Booth

Higgins – Schroeder – Kassian

Lapierre – Malhotra – Hansen

Need a #1 D

MOST teams that win the cup have a Norris Calibre defender.. Canucks do not.

Need a top 6 sniper. They haven’t had one since Naslund and Bure before that.

Finally Although this sounds like a Season is over thread I will say that I STILL think Canucks can force a game 7. I don't doubt that canucks can beat kings 4/7 games but 4 straight will be tough.

Kings are my 2nd team that I follow in the west and I KNOW they have it in them to let this get to Game 7.

go canucks... (not very enthusiastic lol)

Timeouts – I seriously think that AV thinks you can bank timeouts and cash them in at the end of the year. Look at as recent as this playoffs – Laviolette has called his early in each game, Torts called it at the perfect time in game 1. It always feels like to me that AV can’t gauge the emotion of his team. Using a timeout is not a bad thing.

Raymond – Enough said

Kesler – Helped lose game 1 by going back to his hold antics. Man up and show you are better than your opponent. Stop diving and trying to draw penalties.

Edler – Shocked at his bad playoffs but can see this being a learning experience for him.

Booth – Going to the net made you successful and you have forgotten how to do that in the playoffs.

Higgins – Where are you?

Salo – Looks tired

Malhotra – Shadow of his former self

Pahlsonn – His is old and giving what he can

sedins are not playoff type performers. they used to be effective up until last year because most teams figured out how to stop them in the playoffs...play them physical. And yet sedins don't realize that and don't change their game and keep saying stick to their game. I really hate that. They have to realize that defenders have figured them out now and in a 7 game series they'll be easily shut down if they stick to their game but they got to change this up. I'm not referring to this year because daniel hasn't played just referring to the past 4 years in general

Sniper and goal scorer are not the same thing. A sniper i define as a player who has the ability to beat a goalie 1 on 1 with a shot or a deke. Yeah 40g scorer He can score. I am not saying trade him and get someone else. As good as the sedins are, and I have ALWAYS been a fan of theirs and still am, game plan is if you shut down one sedin you shutdown both. having a player who is a threat to score with shots is dangerous.

Remember that Naslund rush end to end against calgary when I believe cooke scored. Canucks lack that ability.

Kesler is good and had a career year last year. He is a 25-30g player not a 40g guy.

Daniels career high is 41g, that doesnt make him a 40g scorer. Look at his career stats. he is a 30g scorer.

Jason blake had a 40g season. doesnt make him a 40g scorer.

People are not realizing the difference between a goal scorer and sniper/game breaker.

I think the team needs a re-tooling not a rebuild. Need 1 or 2 young players in bigger roles. Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen?

Either move a core piece or change coach.

When pitsburgh won they fired their coach that year.

The team is waiting for the stanley cup finals. They want a redo. You NEED to change something.

Movie Script idea = Craig Mactavish coaches game 4. canucks win in 7 and go on to win cup.

Archived