The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Real Issue Here: Lots Of Facts, Numbers, And Discussion From Last Nights Post-Game Show.

jonnycanuck46

So we all know that scoring has been a problem. But lets, just for sake of discussion- expose some of the bigger issues: Sure, Daniel is out. Ok. That definitely affects the team's top line. That definitely causes the team to lose its primary sniper. But fact is people, the Canucks need to get by without him! And they should be able too.

There are several issues here. First of all, Alain Vigneault is clearly being outcoached by Darryl Sutter. The trap, stingy game the Kings are playing really just doesn't let our smaller forwards into the interior slot. Period.

Burrows and Raymond each have FIFTEEN shots in this series. Kesler is close behind with 13. Henrik has 11. Problem is, how many of these shots are scoring chances? ok, Burrows opened the series scoring....But FIFTEEN SHOTS??? Raymond, Burrows, Kesler- all being given top six minutes! Fact is, none of these even challenge Quick. All they're doing is wearing on the LA Kings logo on the front of his sweater!

And Jonathan Quick hasn't even been that spectacular! Not because he can't raise his game, but because the Canucks can't raise theirs! He hasn't HAD to be spectacular.

And don't get me started on retaliation- What do you guys really want? Blood? Bieksa sent the message. Move on. Score the goal- thats what's gonna sting, not being beat up and given the momentum. If we retaliated any more, the score probably would've hit 3-0 due to all the penalties we would have amassed.

This isn't Gillis' fault. This isn't the Goalies' fault. Look at the team. Henrik Sedin has ONE GOAL in his past 26 games!!! He's on the PP full time. Sure, he's a playmaker, but he's logging the all the big minutes. ONE GOAL in 26...hockey games.

David Booth, ONE GOAL in his last fourteen. Kesler NO GOALS in his last FIFTEEN! Raymond hasn't scored in 9 games, but what to expect there.

Don't point the fingers at the Lapierre's or Kassian's of this team. They're not the top guys- they are not, and SHOULD NOT be scoring the majority of goals. Dustin Brown has as many goals in this series as the ENTIRE CANUCKS ROSTER.....and an assist. What has happened to the once lethal scoring on this team?

RYAN KESLER has scored ONE POWERPLAY GOAL in his last FIFTY-SIX games. The last goal came DECEMBER 10th against the Sens! He's on almost EVERY powerplay.

Alex Edler- He's got two goals ALL SEASON on the powerplay. He's NOT a powerplay guy. I mean, shoot- put Aaron Rome on the powerplay for all I care! He'd probably get at least three.No Bieksa and Hamhuis pairings, no secondary scoring.

This team is like a broken record. STOP blaming Luongo, STOP blaming Gillis'. Dammit guys, you yourselves we're calling him God after the Booth trade, after the Pahlsson trade. He didn't know either. Booth- hasn't panned out. 30 points all season on the second line? 4.2 million dollar per? Sorry guys, but he's been a disaster.....No, a disgrace to the team. So has Kesler.

This team does not deserve to get past round 1- Point the fingers, YES; but make sure folks, that you're pointing them at the right people. The top six guys, the coach; these are the problems, that need to be addressed. Never would have said this a year ago, but what can we get for Kesler? What can we get for Booth? This team is FULL of underperforming, overpaid guys. And the prospect pool has been completely demolished. Hodgson, Bourdon (RIP), Grabner, White (Perron was taken 1 pick later by St. Louis), and soon Schneider. THIS is why we can't win now.

And guys, we're not a young team. Not at all.

Yes AV is being "outcoached". Sutter is a genius for installing a system that lets his team give up twice as many shots as they get on the opposition last night, plus a total of 30 over the course of the series so far.

It's up to the players to bury these chances. Yes, Quick and the Kings defense are playing tight around the net, but the players need to find a way.

The coach can't do that for them....

Yes AV is being "outcoached". Sutter is a genius for installing a system that lets his team give up twice as many shots as they get on the opposition last night, plus a total of 30 over the course of the series so far.

It's up to the players to bury these chances. Yes, Quick and the Kings defense are playing tight around the net, but the players need to find a way.

The coach can't do that for them....

I just think we need to start raising the puck, Quick is almost unbeatable down low and where were the vast majority of our shots last game, down low!

Kesler needs to do something, anything other than diving. I don't know what happened to the player he was last year and it is getting frustrating.

For the powerplay, I think Ballard at least deserves a chance, there is no possible way trying him there could be any worse than Edler right now. Put Kass in front with Ballard and Salo on the points and just hammer pucks at the net.

Kes - Sedin - Kass

Salo - Ballard

It doesn't matter if you give up 100 shots if none of them are from quality scoring areas.  How many of those shots last night were from the slot?

The only good scoring chance I remember was Hansen's post on the 2 on 1.

The Canucks are unwilling to pay the price to get to the middle of the ice.  They are content to take shots from the perimeter and hope for the best.

well, easy to over-react.

fact is: the team is not playing well. when they are in a groove, it all works, when they aren't, they suck. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM.

This is where the hangover really comes into play: they are all too tired to do it this year. Kesler is still injured (but while he was recovering still playing 23 minutes a night... stupid), DS out anyways. In order to win a cup they need a good summer of rest, they have played too many games in the last year.

Or, putting it another way, they lost their mojo. haven't got it back yet. maybe too late this year.

attrition.

well, easy to over-react.

fact is: the team is not playing well. when they are in a groove, it all works, when they aren't, they suck. JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER TEAM.

This is where the hangover really comes into play: they are all too tired to do it this year. Kesler is still injured (but while he was recovering still playing 23 minutes a night... stupid), DS out anyways. In order to win a cup they need a good summer of rest, they have played too many games in the last year.

Or, putting it another way, they lost their mojo. haven't got it back yet. maybe too late this year.

attrition.

we at least played last game, yet we have not really parked enough bodies in front of the net. Get someone in front and fire some quality shots at him and this series would be another story. Most of the team hasn't stepped up, Higgins, Edler, Booth, Kesler, etc. just to name a few.

Nonetheless we have an uphill battle which many think can't be reached, but I have yet to see a fat lady nevermind hear one. Lets try and stay positive for the team.

Hansen had another great chance from the slot after a drop pass from Hank. Quick just got it with the blocker. There was also a chance for Burrows where he didn't realize that he had time to position himself better and get the puck up and over a down and out Quick.

Those are just two off the top of my head.

Conversely, I can only think of one decent chance for the Kings: The two on one that glanced off Cory's mask. The Brown goal was a lucky bounce, something that the Canucks didn't get all night despite twice as many opportunities.

You sound about as fed up as I did on Friday night... but I have since calmed down and accepted what appears to be an inevitable early exit. Sorry the team lost last night, though. They pressed hard and showed some grit. But, their inability to score goals is inexcusable.

The frustrating points were the D's inability to keep the puck in the attacking zone, and every single shot at Quick was aimed at his legs, straight into his gloves, or right at his body. It doesn't matter if a thousand shots are fired at the guy. If they are scrambling low quality shots, he's going to make the stop every time.

On goal tending, both Lu and Schneider are looking good. In fact, this playoff debacle has highlighted where the real issues lie. All of the team are loose and sloppy on the puck, at times showing terrible puck handling skills for supposed top-flight professional hockey players. More often than not, when they cough-up the puck, it leaves our goal tenders facing unstoppable shots. And, when you consider how many unstoppable shots both goal tenders have kept out, it shows how GOOD that BOTH of them really are. They are a true credit to the Canucks organization.

The "D" needs to be overhauled. Salo is too old. Edler too unpredictable. Hamhuis too small. I'd keep Bieksa, because he is an animal, and will continue to ramp up his game.

On the forward lines, there's a lot of talent that is going nowhere. About the only guy who has consistently shown any grit is Higgins. The Sedins have also ramped up their grit, but are mis-cast in the lineup. They should be used as a #2 clutch scoring line, supporting a #1 line of big, heavy hitting natural goal scoring forwards. Time to ditch the big-name, smaller forwards, who have a hard time staying upright on their skates whenever Vancouver faces a tough physical opponent.

Coaching: Obviously time for a change.

Suffice it to say, to all intents and purposes, this team, as it is, is shot as a legitimate playoff contender. Better to recognize it now and start a wholesale rebuild for the future.

However, the reality of what will happen in the off-season will be quite different. AV will keep his job, and MG will make a couple of low key trades in an attempt to paper-up the cracks. Which is unfortunate, because right now the Canucks have a high-enough profile to attract some solid talent for the future.

the kings will not even advance past the second round if they beat the nucks. thats the really sad thing here.

we are not trying to figure out how to beat a good team.

the nucks have always had trouble with bottom feeders.

get it together or send me my refund cheque for game 5 and 7

It doesn't matter if you give up 100 shots if none of them are from quality scoring areas. How many of those shots last night were from the slot?

The only good scoring chance I remember was Hansen's post on the 2 on 1.

The Canucks are unwilling to pay the price to get to the middle of the ice. They are content to take shots from the perimeter and hope for the best.

You sound about as fed up as I did on Friday night... but I have since calmed down and accepted what appears to be an inevitable early exit. Sorry the team lost last night, though. They pressed hard and showed some grit. But, their inability to score goals is inexcusable.

The frustrating points were the D's inability to keep the puck in the attacking zone, and every single shot at Quick was aimed at his legs, straight into his gloves, or right at his body. It doesn't matter if a thousand shots are fired at the guy. If they are scrambling low quality shots, he's going to make the stop every time.

On goal tending, both Lu and Schneider are looking good. In fact, this playoff debacle has highlighted where the real issues lie. All of the team are loose and sloppy on the puck, at times showing terrible puck handling skills for supposed top-flight professional hockey players. More often than not, when they cough-up the puck, it leaves our goal tenders facing unstoppable shots. And, when you consider how many unstoppable shots both goal tenders have kept out, it shows how GOOD that BOTH of them really are. They are a true credit to the Canucks organization.

The "D" needs to be overhauled. Salo is too old. Edler too unpredictable. Hamhuis too small. I'd keep Bieksa, because he is an animal, and will continue to ramp up his game.

On the forward lines, there's a lot of talent that is going nowhere. About the only guy who has consistently shown any grit is Higgins. The Sedins have also ramped up their grit, but are mis-cast in the lineup. They should be used as a #2 clutch scoring line, supporting a #1 line of big, heavy hitting natural goal scoring forwards. Time to ditch the big-name, smaller forwards, who have a hard time staying upright on their skates whenever Vancouver faces a tough physical opponent.

Coaching: Obviously time for a change.

Suffice it to say, to all intents and purposes, this team, as it is, is shot as a legitimate playoff contender. Better to recognize it now and start a wholesale rebuild for the future.

However, the reality of what will happen in the off-season will be quite different. AV will keep his job, and MG will make a couple of low key trades in an attempt to paper-up the cracks. Which is unfortunate, because right now the Canucks have a high-enough profile to attract some solid talent for the future.

Archived