Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Lay Off Kassian

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#31 nuckswin

nuckswin

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

I dont' blame Kassian at all. I blame MG. Of course he's useless as a pylon, the guy is way underdeveloped for the NHL.

I want to know one question. If Kassian is for our future, what's up with the brutal timing of getting him right when we're supposed to be getting ready for the playoffs. Will MG please answer that? Hodgson had another year, we could have done this off season. Hodgson wanted a trade? Sure, off season.

And if Kassian was meant to make a difference in these playoffs, then that worries me even more - something is seriously off with our scouting abilities.

#32 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,548 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

Send AV to the guillotine, bring in Babcock/Laviolette. :bigblush:

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#33 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,629 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

I made a thread yesterday saying how Kassian is not even getting a chance to play. He can have impact on this series if he was given more than 7mins a night. But I do agree the trade looks even worse now because Kassian is just a 4th liner, because that is all he is getting.

Kass needs to be on playing with Hank and on the pp. But AV doesn't trust young players and that is why I want AV gone.

Why is has he not been given the chance to play? simple - he has done nothing to earn those minutes.

He's a defensive liability on the ice, who always leaves the point man open. Not only that, he makes bone-headed passes along with being a gentle giant. He was brought in to AT LEAST play physical and deliver crushing hits; instead, he's been invisible which is why he's been stapled to the bench. Like others have said, the only reason why he's in the lineup is to save face for Mike Gillis.

At this point, anybody would look better than Kassian for his role, even Fanner Glass.

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#34 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Don't be surprised if you see Kassian start next year in the AHL. That's not a knock on him at all. He just needs time to learn the ropes down there.

You can buy the best steak at the butcher shop but if you don't marinade it and rub some seasoning on it, it isn't going to be as good as it can be.

Cody did his time in the AHL as well.

P.S. Cody sucked major balls in last year's playoffs. He looked as lost as Kassian does.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 16 April 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#35 bananian

bananian

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

I think it's important for people to remember that Kassian was brought in as a LONG TERM INVESTMENT. I certainly didn't expect him to light it up in the playoffs. He's still so new and has so much growing to do. So unfair that people are beating him up.

The team as a whole is struggling and our top players aren't performing to their potential. We can't really point fingers here.

Why on earth would we trade an immediate impact player in Hodgson for a future player?! Are we rebuilding or something? Maybe that's why. We aren't actually getting the cup this year. We are getting it in the future right?

#36 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

When Kassian's lifting the Stanley Cup over his head down the road wearing the C on his sweater, people will then realize how good of a player we got in return.
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#37 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

Well we kept Raymond, Ballard, Kesler, Edler, and Pahlsson who have all been more or less horrible this series.

Truth hurts that we can't win when we have a Selke winner, back-to-back Art Ross winners, a GREAT goaltending duo, and supposedly excellent checking defense.

We wouldn't have succeeded even if we had Hodgson back.
Sweep for L.A. is imminent.

I don't agree with you, Hodgson may very well have made the difference, Imagine if the Canucks had three potential scoring lines that LA would have to shut down? how would that have changed their game plan? Are they going to play Mitchell 35+ minutes a night? And what if our fourth line was Lappierre - Pahlsson - Malhotra, what a solid fourth line that can be counted on for critical minutes.

Could have rolled 4 lines instead of this sham of even dressing these fourth line plugs that get 2-3 minutes of icetime a night (yes I'm talking about Kassian, Bitz, Weise et al). This is completely the same as 2007 and what a difference 5 years has made back to this lineup that has pylons warming a seat on the bench for players that can contribute.

What a load off of the top two lines to have a fourth line that could actually play and not take penalties and actually shutdown other teams top lines.

If the Canucks end up getting swept it will be merely a ripple from the trade deadline day.
Posted Image

#38 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

When Kassian's lifting the Stanley Cup over his head down the road wearing the C on his sweater, people will then realize how good of a player we got in return.

HAHA he can't even get on the ice for more than 3 minutes without doing something stupid and yet we are supposed to envision him being captain and taking this team to the holy land? You Kissassians are all blinded by your hard ons for big pylons. Skill wins you cups not just being big, he may have skill but so did Steve Bernier, I don't recall him Captaining a team to the Cup. Believe me I would be more than happy to be wrong about Kassian but at this point I don't see anything but an AHL player with potential.

If he can in the future win us the Cup then there is no reason why he can't go out here in Game 4 and make a huge impact and win a game for the Canucks. Lets start with something a little more simple like that and see if that happens.
Posted Image

#39 js604

js604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Most of us are dumping solely on Gillis for making the trade. I don't blame Kassian, he is what he is, but Gillis and his so-called scouts need to be shown the door out.

#40 js604

js604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

What a freaking joke. Keith Ballard has a better chance of being Captain than Kassian ever will, both odds are around 0%.

#41 LuongoSweep

LuongoSweep

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

I don't agree with you, Hodgson may very well have made the difference, Imagine if the Canucks had three potential scoring lines that LA would have to shut down? how would that have changed their game plan? Are they going to play Mitchell 35+ minutes a night? And what if our fourth line was Lappierre - Pahlsson - Malhotra, what a solid fourth line that can be counted on for critical minutes.

Could have rolled 4 lines instead of this sham of even dressing these fourth line plugs that get 2-3 minutes of icetime a night (yes I'm talking about Kassian, Bitz, Weise et al). This is completely the same as 2007 and what a difference 5 years has made back to this lineup that has pylons warming a seat on the bench for players that can contribute.

What a load off of the top two lines to have a fourth line that could actually play and not take penalties and actually shutdown other teams top lines.

If the Canucks end up getting swept it will be merely a ripple from the trade deadline day.

I agree with you in that Hodgson would've made a difference in this year's playoffs. You can check my earlier posts on these forums that I didn't handle the Kassian trade too well either.

However, what I am saying is that there are more problems than just the lack of scoring, which sounds strange I know, but there are also many glaring deficiencies on this team:

Our powerplay looks like the worst in the NHL.
Our defensemen are not consistent. At all.
Our forwards refuse to adapt and uselessly "carry the puck in" with weak perimeter shots (I'm looking at you KESLER & BOOTH)
We give up rebounds that defensemen do not clear away past the blue line (Edler)
Our skates are too fast for our hands most of the time (weak touch passes, Raymond)
No more crisp passing
No more one-timers in the slot
No Ehrhoff-like defenseman that can create a good breakout/transition game, has accurate and hard shot, reads the game well, and holds the blue line cycle game

This list isn't even including the fact that our only players that look like All-Stars are our goalies, 1 Sedin brother, and a 3rd line Hansen.

Edited by LuongoSweep, 16 April 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#42 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

Remember AV's play better more icetime. Clearly his play has been reflected on his icetime

Sorry bud, but the Captain material young prospect was traded away.

Edited by DreamHerO, 16 April 2012 - 03:48 PM.

Posted Image

#43 Canucksftw0205

Canucksftw0205

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:04 PM

I'm fully aware that Kassian was not acquired to be a difference maker in the playoffs and I knew this the moment we got him. I think MG knew exactly what he was getting and giving up. Thing is, he did not foresee the team underperforming (so far) in the playoffs the way it has been. When our team is playing the way it can, we can win and be effective without Hodgson.

We may miss Hodgson now and I know many are frustrated with the trade, but I feel like many of the reactions stem from the fact that our society is so driven by instant gratification, that we have to have what we want instantly.

We need to be patient with Kassian. Can't count on him to be making significant contributions as of yet. The whole team has to step up and demonstrate to the fans once again that giving up Hodgson was justified. I loved Hodgson, but we are fully capable without him.
Respect your Edler! Posted Image

#44 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

I'm fully aware that Kassian was not acquired to be a difference maker in the playoffs and I knew this the moment we got him. I think MG knew exactly what he was getting and giving up. Thing is, he did not foresee the team underperforming (so far) in the playoffs the way it has been. When our team is playing the way it can, we can win and be effective without Hodgson.

We may miss Hodgson now and I know many are frustrated with the trade, but I feel like many of the reactions stem from the fact that our society is so driven by instant gratification, that we have to have what we want instantly.

We need to be patient with Kassian. Can't count on him to be making significant contributions as of yet. The whole team has to step up and demonstrate to the fans once again that giving up Hodgson was justified. I loved Hodgson, but we are fully capable without him.

That makes sense if this team was rebuilding!! But they were going to for the Stanley Cup this year. You need every guy on the roster to make significant contributions or you can forget about winning the hardest championship to win in pro sports. If we came in last place and were picking first overall, trust me I would give Kassian all the passes in the world for his wretched play, but his useless 3 minutes a night just doesn't cut it on a team aspiring for a Stanley Cup. I realize its not his fault for being who he is, but there is something seriously wrong with management if they weren't able to forsee something like this when I a common fan was able to predict this scenario as soon as the trade happened.

So what happens in 5-6 years when Kassian reaches his prime? Lets say that he pans out and becomes the Lucic type powerforward that all the Kissassians think he will become. Now the Sedin's best years are behind them, Kes is probably more suited for a third line checking role, Edler may or may not become the elite dman he has the potential to be, KB3 is now a serviceable 5th or 6th Dman. This deal gets an impact player about 3 years too late. The core players are all past their prime and this powerforward in Kassian we have may be lighting it up, but we are missing the playoffs in 17th place.
Posted Image

#45 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

No, he looks totally out of place. He is a pro athelete he gets no free pass. He is only in the lineup to justify this awful trade Gillis made. AV knows he has to dress him, his lack of ice-time is the result of him being unable to keep up with the pace of the game at a pro level. There is a reason why he was a healthy scratch with Buffalo, he cant cut it yet. Such a awful trade, yet there are still people defending it. Canucks are down 0-3, cant score, cant even hit, so whats the purpose of playing him? Man atleast Bernier or Pyatt actually won a fight in the big leagues, whats this clown done? Not even AHL ready.

Wow, if he's not even AHL ready yet, then I'll be frightened when he is. Not too many guys who aren't even AHL ready can go point per game in the AHL, we must have a real gem on our hands.

Edited by Hansen 36, 17 April 2012 - 09:12 AM.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#46 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

-snip-

So what happens in 5-6 years when Kassian reaches his prime? Lets say that he pans out and becomes the Lucic type powerforward that all the Kissassians think he will become. Now the Sedin's best years are behind them, Kes is probably more suited for a third line checking role, Edler may or may not become the elite dman he has the potential to be, KB3 is now a serviceable 5th or 6th Dman. This deal gets an impact player about 3 years too late. The core players are all past their prime and this powerforward in Kassian we have may be lighting it up, but we are missing the playoffs in 17th place.

You are implying that we have no other prospects and that we won't get any more skilled guys until the Sedins and Kesler retire. That's pretty unlikely.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#47 sQuish

sQuish

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Everyone should remember that acquiring Kassian was done for the long-term, and Hodgson had no place here in the future with the Centres we already have. Let's face it, MG was handcuffed by Hodgson's camp (its clear there was something going on there with regards to a trade request or at least something along those lines) and had to make a deal.

The sequence of deals gave us a more complete roster and the scoring that we're missing is that from the top-6, not from the bottom-6. The defensive play from the forwards has actually been good, better than with Hodgson, most goals in this series have really come from misplays by the defence.

The deal was made with more faith in our top-6, but they have not been good enough (obviously missing Daniel is a big part of it). The top-6 was able to take us to the SCF last year so I think it was fair to have faith in them to do the scoring this year, and that an improved defensive bottom-6 (compared to last year) would help get us over the hump.

Also, tough, physical players like Kassian are bound to take time to adapt to the NHL (and he is also a year younger than Hodgson). Remember when a lot of us ruled Hodgson as a bust last year?

I assume you're referring to Pahlsson, the guy who hit Brown in the corner then left him all alone in front of the net to score the game winner? Ya... sooo much better than Hodgson.

#48 wrath_jason

wrath_jason

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

I think Kassian is a good player. Coach V just needs to park Kassians big ass in front of the net and work like Bertuzzi used to.

#49 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

The people who have laid into Kass are the same fools who had him ko-ing every tough guy in the NHL. Now that they see it won't happen they feel as if they have made idiots of themselves (and they have) so they take it out on the young guy.

For what it's worth I will repeat what I have said before. Kass will be big for us when he has had time to settle in and mature.

It was unfair the amount of pressure heaped on him, especially on here. Of course the guys who go to bed crying for CoHo every night blame Kass in some misguided way for the trade and will probably never accept him.
Kevin.jpg

#50 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

The people who have laid into Kass are the same fools who had him ko-ing every tough guy in the NHL. Now that they see it won't happen they feel as if they have made idiots of themselves (and they have) so they take it out on the young guy.

For what it's worth I will repeat what I have said before. Kass will be big for us when he has had time to settle in and mature.

It was unfair the amount of pressure heaped on him, especially on here. Of course the guys who go to bed crying for CoHo every night blame Kass in some misguided way for the trade and will probably never accept him.

Don't be so sure.

There were people that wanted Kesler gone after he signed that RFA deal with Philly and now wear Kesler jerseys. Kassassin will be a fan favourite in the end, some just don't realize that despite being huge, he's a kid.

Nucks should never give up on a guy that is that big and tough and can skate like that. Send him for a summer at Gary Roberts camp.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#51 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,117 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

'Hank's Secret Sauce'

"Everyone should remember that acquiring Kassian was done for the long-term, and Hodgson had no place here in the future with the Centres we already have. Let's face it, MG was handcuffed by Hodgson's camp (its clear there was something going on there with regards to a trade request or at least something along those lines) and had to make a deal."

The outrage should not be about Kassian,rather it is about Gillis and mgmt not able to assess properly what is best for the team's success right now.

Sure,a cup run and the GM is making trades for the 'long run'. Super.

Gillis did not have to make any deal.He is a lawyer/CEO/President of a major corporation and is the master of the ship.

There was nothing "along those lines".That is a Gillis deflective floater with no reality attached to it.

Kesler should have been moved to the wing and Hodgson should have become the second line centre.Kes could have taken important face offs if need be.It was time for Kes to step aside this year.

Let's face it,this trade is the epitome of all that has gone wrong with this club this year.

"The deal was made with more faith in our top-6, but they have not been good enough (obviously missing Daniel is a big part of it). The top-6 was able to take us to the SCF last year so I think it was fair to have faith in them to do the scoring this year, and that an improved defensive bottom-6 (compared to last year) would help get us over the hump."

Sorry but the last eight playoff games suggest otherwise.The Nucks totally failed with no scoring and no PP pivot.

"Also, tough, physical players like Kassian are bound to take time to adapt to the NHL (and he is also a year younger than Hodgson)."

Which brings us back to reality once again.Will he,when will he and why did Gillis not shore up the present team?

It is not like Raymond as top 6 or the D could have used some help right now.

We have a management team that have not assessed their team properly and instead of utilizing their ace in the hole in a trade for a top 4 D or a top 6 forward thought their team was so superior that they gambled on a potential power forward far into the future.

That is where the rubber hits the road.

I think Gillis' decision to trade Hodgson for Kassian might now be remembered as the ' Gillis model ' inflection point instead of the Gillis mantra of successfully replicating the Detroit model.

Edited by nuck nit, 17 April 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#52 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

Remember AV's play better more icetime. Clearly his play has been reflected on his icetime

Sorry bud, but the Captain material young prospect was traded away.

Sorry to break it to you but being a captain in juniors does not shoe one in to be a captain in the big show. Only you Hodgson fanbois are pushing this tripe.

#53 endtoend

endtoend

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Prediction: Kassian scores the OT winner in Game 7!

....yeah maybe not

#54 geezer2

geezer2

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

All players traded here seem to take as long as a season to get used to the high standards of conditioning and speed of the game played here look at Booth; Alberts; Ballard to a degree Kassian deserves the same chance

#55 rotiman187

rotiman187

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

If danny is back next game put the line of malhotra, lapierre and kassian together and watch bodies fall.
Posted Image

#56 Ktakatch

Ktakatch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

He keeps on doing BLATANT giveaways and is contributing NOTHING positive.

This guy is a major flop, he is a liability on the ice.

1 give away where it was a great play by the forechecker stfu

#57 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,987 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

Kassian will continue to improve in years to come, but right now he isn't doing anything. You can say he hasn't had enough ice time, but he hasn't done anything to earn more. It's understandable since he's a rookie, and Hodgson was basically useless when he first came up here as well, but we have to do what it takes to help the team win. Kassian will be good someday but for now I think Bitz is a better option.

#58 ChronCanuck

ChronCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

i just hate CDC overall. a bunch of stupid kids whining and complaining on just about everything.

spoiled fickle, bandwagoners of vancouver. the true fans wouldnt talk ****.

this place is way beyond pathetic. 90% of the people dont truly understand or know how hockey is really being played.

and for the record, kassian is doing fine given his extremely limited ice time and his current really raw rookie situation and lol at the other people doesnt understand REALLY why he was playing 4-6 mins as a 4th liner in the playoffs.

its simply cuz they dont get how hockey is being played and being used in certain proper situations.

Edited by ChronCanuck, 17 April 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#59 PunPryde

PunPryde

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

I gave him a chance, he's horrible. Going into the future, Hodgson was much better for the team. Gillis trying to get a cup in the short-term ignoring the long-term is going to doom us... look where it's gotten us so far.

#60 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:37 AM

I gave him a chance, he's horrible. Going into the future, Hodgson was much better for the team. Gillis trying to get a cup in the short-term ignoring the long-term is going to doom us... look where it's gotten us so far.

A friggin handfull of games is a chance lol.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.