Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Lay Off Kassian

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

In those limited minutes he should do something (it's hard but its possible).

Look at Nolan, he played only 3 something last game and he had an impact (throwing hits).

* Kassian has potential, no one can argue against that without looking like an idiot

#62 PunPryde

PunPryde

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

In those limited minutes he should do something (it's hard but its possible).

Look at Nolan, he played only 3 something last game and he had an impact (throwing hits).

* Kassian has potential, no one can argue against that without looking like an idiot

+1

#63 Smyl ( :

Smyl ( :

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

The trade stunk of rebuild...

#64 NdeJonge

NdeJonge

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

Most of us are dumping solely on Gillis for making the trade. I don't blame Kassian, he is what he is, but Gillis and his so-called scouts need to be shown the door out.

With Kesler and H. Sedin ahead of Hodgson he was never going to be very useful in Vancouver. Kassian was expected to perform better than he has, but lets not forget that Gragnani was also included in the trade and he is a decent depth defenseman.
Canadians get a free $20 bet on the Conference Finals!
Visit http://nhlbettingtips.com/free20/ to learn more.

#65 Hank's Secret Sauce

Hank's Secret Sauce

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

'Hank's Secret Sauce'

The outrage should not be about Kassian,rather it is about Gillis and mgmt not able to assess properly what is best for the team's success right now.

Sure,a cup run and the GM is making trades for the 'long run'. Super.

Gillis did not have to make any deal.He is a lawyer/CEO/President of a major corporation and is the master of the ship.

There was nothing "along those lines".That is a Gillis deflective floater with no reality attached to it.

Kesler should have been moved to the wing and Hodgson should have become the second line centre.Kes could have taken important face offs if need be.It was time for Kes to step aside this year.

Let's face it,this trade is the epitome of all that has gone wrong with this club this year.

I'm happy to see someone that is against the trade at least say Kassian himself should not be blamed. We all have an opinion on MG's decision of course. I don't like the way people are completely dismissing Kassian as being an effective player in the future, but I believe it is very fair to question the trade.

I had the same reaction as you initially regarding giving up someone who provided the current scoring Hodgson did for a future player. I followed the circus that followed the trade pretty closely involving Hodgson's agent and the Vancouver media, as well as Hodgson's avoidance to answer the question, and I agree with the media that if there was no trade request, or at least a distraction being caused, MG would have come and laid the rumours to rest.

Remember that Kesler has a lot of defensive responsibility too, putting Hodgson in to centre his line could hurt the defensive prowess of the second line. After all, Hodgson was minus 7 in 20 games on a team that was winning, that doesn't say much positive about his defensive capabilities. That would not fare well against the Richards line.

Sorry but the last eight playoff games suggest otherwise.The Nucks totally failed with no scoring and no PP pivot.

"Also, tough, physical players like Kassian are bound to take time to adapt to the NHL (and he is also a year younger than Hodgson)."

Which brings us back to reality once again.Will he,when will he and why did Gillis not shore up the present team?

It is not like Raymond as top 6 or the D could have used some help right now.

We have a management team that have not assessed their team properly and instead of utilizing their ace in the hole in a trade for a top 4 D or a top 6 forward thought their team was so superior that they gambled on a potential power forward far into the future.

That is where the rubber hits the road.

I think Gillis' decision to trade Hodgson for Kassian might now be remembered as the ' Gillis model ' inflection point instead of the Gillis mantra of successfully replicating the Detroit model.

Hodgson was not good defensively and many past cup-winning teams have placed heavy emphasis on a great defensive third line, which I feel we have with Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen. It's been well-documented the role he played in the 2007 Cup for the Ducks.

I'm not sure where you're getting at when talking about the lack of scoring. As I said, it is the top-6 forwards and PP that we are missing scoring from. Pahllsson has scored in this series (one could argue thats more than or equal to what Hodgson would have done), so I don't think we can blame the 3rd line for not scoring. We have to live and die by our best players, who haven't gotten it done. That has nothing to do with the 3rd/4th line. You are really arguing to get rid of the core with that statement.

Edited by Hank's Secret Sauce, 17 April 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#66 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,069 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

This organization turns players into straight soft ..... Let the guy play his game AV, otherwise what's the point?

Edited by hockeyville88, 17 April 2012 - 02:06 PM.
Vulgar language

#67 Hank's Secret Sauce

Hank's Secret Sauce

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

I assume you're referring to Pahlsson, the guy who hit Brown in the corner then left him all alone in front of the net to score the game winner? Ya... sooo much better than Hodgson.

Go ahead and argue about the trade all you want and I'll listen to them and consider them valid points from a fellow Canuck fan (whether we agree/disagree), but if you are actually trying to argue that Hodgson is a better defensive player than Pahlsson, you really are not smart. Hodgson was minus 7 in 20 games on a team that was on a pretty good role, and that's why AV didn't play him as much as we all wanted him to. And that was clearly Edler's man btw.

Edited by Hank's Secret Sauce, 17 April 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#68 wendythirteenthrashers

wendythirteenthrashers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

Posted Image

#69 ChronCanuck

ChronCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

I gave him a chance, he's horrible. Going into the future, Hodgson was much better for the team. Gillis trying to get a cup in the short-term ignoring the long-term is going to doom us... look where it's gotten us so far.

nobody giveS YOU a chance because kassian is the one making more money than u and is playing a real pro sports, the NHL to be specific. what u are doing? oh thats right. u whine.
\
ure just a useless bandwagoner with nothing to show for and nobody even knows who u are and nobody cares.

#70 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Agreed, I'm sick of people dumping on Kassian. He didn't ask for this, and he's got a lot of potential. Lay off the kid, it's not like Hodgson would be doing much better anyways.

Didn't you hear? He would've gotten 3 back-to-back-to-back hat-tricks, beat-up Brown and Greene if he was playing...

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#71 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

kassian is not ready. he shouldnt be playing in the NHL right now.

the year we were supposed to make a significant cup run/win it, MG goes and trades the best rookie we have had since kesler. cody would score clutch goals and right now COULD be centering the second line between kesler and booth.

MG always talked about adding without subtraction...but in this case we lost a lot of upside for a player who does not belong in the NHL at this time.
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#72 6string

6string

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

it's no secret that coach v has no patience for youngsters, he mis-handled both bourdon n hodgson at times. he'll play a journeyman no good for nothing veteran before he plays a rookie or a prospect, his record speaks for itself....this is where i liked crawford, he played you if your shifts were sound and more ice time if you were productive, though i'm not a crawford fan.

the deal that brought zac here was for what?....we needed immediate attention to a top 6 or third line robust, no-nonsense forward and gave up a scorer for what?.....a future tough guy?

no knock on zac, coaching and mangement failed us though i thought gragnani looked very good and should've played in game one. gragnani had an excellent playoffs last year in buffalo.

#73 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Most people are dumping on the trade not Kassian, they traded a impact player for a player that's not ready.

#74 js604

js604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

Didn't you hear? He would've gotten 3 back-to-back-to-back hat-tricks, beat-up Brown and Greene if he was playing...

Funny, because that's exactly what people said Kassian would be doing in the playoffs. Without the sarcasm, of course.

#75 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,677 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Funny, because that's exactly what people said Kassian would be doing in the playoffs. Without the sarcasm, of course.

People say many things, doesn't mean you take them all seriously.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#76 Thrill-House

Thrill-House

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

His first year in the NHL folks.

That B.S charging call he got in game 1 may have discouraged him from being aggressive.

And how is everyone so sure of themselves that Hodgson would have an impact in this series right now.

Our top players aren't getting it done. That's the problem.

Edited by Thrill-House, 17 April 2012 - 02:36 PM.

Posted Image

#77 Canuck_Whisperer

Canuck_Whisperer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

LoL at the Kassian fanboys. The guy is less useful than a pylon. AV is not using him properly? Give me a break. He's not using him because he's bloody useless. Hodgson brings so much more to the table it's not even close. I can't believe MG thought this trade was a good idea.

You all keep saying he can "skate" and "hit" and "fight"... are you watching the same Kassian I am? I have seen nothing of the sort. With the limited ice-time he does get you'd think he'd try and make a big hit or two. But nope. NOTHING.

Agreed. Just don't see him being all they said he could be. I don't compare him to Hodgson, but on his own merits.. just don't see it.
The autographed flag has been put away ... but it will be back! Go Canucks Go!

Posted Image

#78 bohunter

bohunter

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

I wonder if Buffalo used silence as leverage in the trade, because no other GM knew that either player was on the table...
Buffalo might have known of Cody's want to be traded, and their obvious need at centre...
Kassian isn't today, but he's definately the future...
Burke would have been all over this trade...
Posted Image

#79 ChronCanuck

ChronCanuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

it's no secret that coach v has no patience for youngsters, he mis-handled both bourdon n hodgson at times. he'll play a journeyman no good for nothing veteran before he plays a rookie or a prospect, his record speaks for itself....this is where i liked crawford, he played you if your shifts were sound and more ice time if you were productive, though i'm not a crawford fan.

the deal that brought zac here was for what?....we needed immediate attention to a top 6 or third line robust, no-nonsense forward and gave up a scorer for what?.....a future tough guy?

no knock on zac, coaching and mangement failed us though i thought gragnani looked very good and should've played in game one. gragnani had an excellent playoffs last year in buffalo.

agreed. i dont like AV's decision with youngsters. i hate it when he plays plugs. favors glass and rome...so dumb. besides im done with this crap after this run.

if they are truly champions they will overcome the 3-0 lead trail and onto stanley cup champions, until then they show it. if they dont. well lets just say. they shot themselves in the foot, over and over and again. too late. they had chances they decided not to go with it. and well.

now we'll see if its truly a mistake or no. :)

Edited by ChronCanuck, 17 April 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#80 soshified

soshified

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

LoL at the Kassian fanboys. The guy is less useful than a pylon. AV is not using him properly? Give me a break. He's not using him because he's bloody useless. Hodgson brings so much more to the table it's not even close. I can't believe MG thought this trade was a good idea.

You all keep saying he can "skate" and "hit" and "fight"... are you watching the same Kassian I am? I have seen nothing of the sort. With the limited ice-time he does get you'd think he'd try and make a big hit or two. But nope. NOTHING.

You gotta give him a break. Its his first year in the NHL, let alone the playoffs.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.