The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Is To Blame.

Sanford

After the loss in the first I was like "Oh maybe they were unlucky because of penalties"

The second game... "Maybe I should start a rant, but they got a lot of random shots in"

The third game? Ok it's time for a rant.

Mike Gillis failed in addressing this teams needs and problems after last year's elimination to Boston. Let me start, by saying that letting go of Christian Erhoff who was an integral piece to our cup run last year, was a complete debacle.

Erhoff would have only cost us 4.5-5 million dollars, don't even say that Mike would have overpaid Erhoff. What he should have done, is waive that 4.5 million dollar 6th defensemen that AV still refuses to use! Notice why every player is suffering in stats this year? Notice how our fragile defense is not moving the puck as well as last year? Christian Erhoff ladies and gentlemen.

Let's not forget that he got rid of both Torres And Samuelsson, who are proven playoff performers. Was it not Samuelsson who scored 7 goals + against the Kings in 09 to singlehandly eliminate them? No, when poor Sammy was injured Mike traded him away for another inconsistent 4.5 million dollar winger who is UNPROVEN. Booth like Ballard, was from a Florida team that had no taste of playoff experience. Booth at 4.5 million is a disaster.

And out of all who does he decide to keep as a pet? Mason Raymond. I've ranted a lot on this particular individual for years now, that he is simply an inconsistent and useless player... Come at me Mayray Fanboys, Everybody does not love Raymond. It's really fun to see Mason Raymond running around in circles, going into corners, falling down... again Mike seemed to think that this figure skater is a top 6 forward. By no means am I blaming our debacle on just poor Raymond, but after clearly evidence that this guy can't perform when it matters.... Does it not ring bells on that stubborn Gm of ours?

Torres. Now why did we get rid of Mr. Torres. The excuse was that he was an inconsistent player... Raymond, Kesler and Booth THEY'RE ALL INCONSISTENT. At least with Torres, he brings that physicality and is known to perform in the playoffs. You know what, if we kept Torres, we wouldn't even need Kassian. But you know what we got? 2 Million Dollar Marco Sturm who cost a lot more then Torres.

The entire mistake started when Mike Gillis decided to change the "balance of the team" because we lost to Boston. That's right we are more balanced Mike, It's to bad we can't score now. We have lost our identity that made us so successful last year and as that offensive juggernaut.... We are no longer 2011 puck possession team but back to the old Ryan Johnson, Steve Bernier, running around dumping the puck and thinking that they contributed to the team.

Where do I begin with Mike Gillis' trade deadline.. just where do I begin. This is self explanitory. He had 4.5+ million of capspace due to Ballard being in the IR. And what does Mike Gillis do? Ofcouse he gets rid of our Calder candidate (at the time) for Zach Kassian who is a raw rookie. You don't add a Pygmy marmoset monkey against experienced primates. You just don't... you just don't...

And if you wanted to add Kassian to the fold, why not give him a chance to succeed? I'm not saying I liked Cody Hodgson, but if you want to trade him, Trade him for proven help! Not Zach Kassian, who in my opinion is twice less the player Raffi Torres was.

We also traded for Marc Andre Gragnani... This to me seems like the most clueless and useless moves ever... but hey depth that you never use is always good.

Sammy Pahlsson. I liked this move, but when we got Pahlsson and traded away Cody our offense suffered. IMO we did not NEED ANOTHER CHECKING line. We have tried this Checking Line experiment in previous seasons that gave us little scoring in the post season.

The trade Deadline was a complete debacle. Mike did not address our needs.

Ok I will end this to keep it short.... Personally I feel the loss to Boston not ONLY got to our players head, BUT IT ALSO GOT to the Bosses' head as well. He basictly change our philosophy of a fast puck moving team that score a lot and tried to emulate a team that is similar to that of Boston...

The reason we were successful last year was because OF SKILL and Puck possession. Now we are but a team that can't score, we have gone back to the 2009, 2010 dump the puck and run around like chicken Canuck folks. All because we lost to Boston.

If it was my choice, Mike would also be fired if we are to be eliminated from the playoffs in the first round. It was just hilarious watching Mike Gillis' arrogant face look clueless out there.

You gotta give Mike some credit about creating a first class organization, but when it comes to the product in the playoffs... it's not good enough. The only "core" that Mike has added in 4 years of being GM is Dan Hamhuis. The rest... Nonis, and even Burkie.

After the loss in the first I was like "Oh maybe they were unlucky because of penalties"

The second game... "Maybe I should start a rant, but they got a lot of random shots in"

The third game?  Ok it's time for a rant.

Mike Gillis failed in addressing this teams needs and problems after last year's elimination to Boston.  Let me start, by saying that letting go of Christian Erhoff who was an integral piece to our cup run last year, was a complete debacle.

Erhoff would have only cost us 4.5-5 million dollars, don't even say that Mike would have overpaid Erhoff.  What he should have done, is waive that 4.5 million dollar 6th defensemen that AV still refuses to use!  Notice why every player is suffering in stats this year?  Notice how our fragile defense is not moving the puck as well as last year?  Christian Erhoff ladies and gentlemen.

Let's not forget that he got rid of both Torres And Samuelsson, who are proven playoff performers.  Was it not Samuelsson who scored 7 goals + against the Kings in 09 to singlehandly eliminate them?  No, when poor Sammy was injured Mike traded him away for another inconsistent 4.5 million dollar winger who is UNPROVEN.  Booth like Ballard, was from a Florida team that had no taste of playoff experience.  Booth at 4.5 million is a disaster.

And out of all who does he decide to keep as a pet?  Mason Raymond.  I've ranted a lot on this particular individual for years now, that he is simply an inconsistent and useless player...  Come at me Mayray Fanboys, Everybody does not love Raymond.  It's really fun to see Mason Raymond running around in circles, going into corners, falling down... again Mike seemed to think that this figure skater is a top 6 forward.  By no means am I blaming our debacle on just poor Raymond, but after clearly evidence that this guy can't perform when it matters....  Does it not ring bells on that stubborn Gm of ours?

Torres.  Now why did we get rid of Mr. Torres.  The excuse was that he was an inconsistent player...  Raymond, Kesler and Booth THEY'RE ALL INCONSISTENT.  At least with Torres, he brings that physicality and is known to perform in the playoffs.  You know what, if we kept Torres, we wouldn't even need Kassian.  But you know what we got?  2 Million Dollar Marco Sturm who cost a lot more then Torres.

The entire mistake started when Mike Gillis decided to change the "balance of the team" because we lost to Boston.  That's right we are more balanced Mike, It's to bad we can't score now.  We have lost our identity that made us so successful last year and as that offensive juggernaut.... We are no longer 2011 puck possession team but back to the old Ryan Johnson, Steve Bernier, running around dumping the puck and thinking that they contributed to the team.

Where do I begin with Mike Gillis' trade deadline.. just where do I begin.  This is self explanitory.  He had 4.5+ million of capspace due to Ballard being in the IR.  And what does Mike Gillis do?  Ofcouse he gets rid of our Calder candidate (at the time) for Zach Kassian who is a raw rookie.  You don't add a Pygmy marmoset monkey against experienced primates.  You just don't... you just don't...

And if you wanted to add Kassian to the fold, why not give him a chance to succeed?  I'm not saying I liked Cody Hodgson, but if you want to trade him, Trade him for proven help!  Not Zach Kassian, who in my opinion is twice less the player Raffi Torres was.

We also traded for Marc Andre Gragnani... This to me seems like the most clueless and useless moves ever... but hey dept that you never use is always good.

Sammy Pahlsson.  I liked this move, but when we got Pahlsson and traded away Cody our offense suffered.  IMO we did not NEED ANOTHER CHECKING line.  We have tried this Checking Line experiement in previous seasons that gave us little scoring in the post season.

The trade Deadline was a complete debacle.  Mike did not address our needs.

Ok I will end this to keep it short....  Personally I feel the loss to Boston not ONLY got to our players head, BUT IT ALSO GOT to the Bosses' head as well.  He basictly change our philosophy of a fast puck moving team that score a lot and tried to emulate a team that is similar to that of Boston...

The reason we were successful last year was because OF SKILL and Puck possession.  Now we are but a team that can't score, we have gone back to the 2009, 2010 Canucks folks.  All because we lost to Boston.

If it was my choice, Mike would also be fired if we are to be eliminated from the playoffs in the first round.

I didnt read your essay but all you had to write was this

Kassian TOI 3:55

Gragnani HASNT EVEN DRESSED

Hodgson was traded for absolutely nothing, might as well have traded him for draft picks

Booth and Pahlsson were huge swings and misses as well, that was due to poor scouting and research on the Canucks part as well though

Mike Gillis failed in addressing this teams needs and problems after last year's elimination to Boston. Let me start, by saying that letting go of Christian Erhoff who was an integral piece to our cup run last year, was a complete debacle.

Erhoff would have only cost us 4.5-5 million dollars, don't even say that Mike would have overpaid Erhoff. What he should have done, is waive that 4.5 million dollar 6th defensemen that AV still refuses to use! Notice why every player is suffering in stats this year? Notice how our fragile defense is not moving the puck as well as last year? Christian Erhoff ladies and gentlemen.

Let's not forget that he got rid of both Torres And Samuelsson, who are proven playoff performers. Was it not Samuelsson who scored 7 goals + against the Kings in 09 to singlehandly eliminate them? No, when poor Sammy was injured Mike traded him away for another inconsistent 4.5 million dollar winger who is UNPROVEN. Booth like Ballard, was from a Florida team that had no taste of playoff experience. Booth at 4.5 million is a disaster.

And out of all who does he decide to keep as a pet? Mason Raymond. I've ranted a lot on this particular individual for years now, that he is simply an inconsistent and useless player... Come at me Mayray Fanboys, Everybody does not love Raymond. It's really fun to see Mason Raymond running around in circles, going into corners, falling down... again Mike seemed to think that this figure skater is a top 6 forward. By no means am I blaming our debacle on just poor Raymond, but after clearly evidence that this guy can't perform when it matters.... Does it not ring bells on that stubborn Gm of ours?

Torres. Now why did we get rid of Mr. Torres. The excuse was that he was an inconsistent player... Raymond, Kesler and Booth THEY'RE ALL INCONSISTENT. At least with Torres, he brings that physicality and is known to perform in the playoffs. You know what, if we kept Torres, we wouldn't even need Kassian. But you know what we got? 2 Million Dollar Marco Sturm who cost a lot more then Torres.

The entire mistake started when Mike Gillis decided to change the "balance of the team" because we lost to Boston. That's right we are more balanced Mike, It's to bad we can't score now. We have lost our identity that made us so successful last year and as that offensive juggernaut.... We are no longer 2011 puck possession team but back to the old Ryan Johnson, Steve Bernier, running around dumping the puck and thinking that they contributed to the team.

Where do I begin with Mike Gillis' trade deadline.. just where do I begin. This is self explanitory. He had 4.5+ million of capspace due to Ballard being in the IR. And what does Mike Gillis do? Ofcouse he gets rid of our Calder candidate (at the time) for Zach Kassian who is a raw rookie. You don't add a Pygmy marmoset monkey against experienced primates. You just don't... you just don't...

And if you wanted to add Kassian to the fold, why not give him a chance to succeed? I'm not saying I liked Cody Hodgson, but if you want to trade him, Trade him for proven help! Not Zach Kassian, who in my opinion is twice less the player Raffi Torres was.

We also traded for Marc Andre Gragnani... This to me seems like the most clueless and useless moves ever... but hey depth that you never use is always good.

Sammy Pahlsson. I liked this move, but when we got Pahlsson and traded away Cody our offense suffered. IMO we did not NEED ANOTHER CHECKING line. We have tried this Checking Line experiment in previous seasons that gave us little scoring in the post season.

Ok I will end this to keep it short.... Personally I feel the loss to Boston not ONLY got to our players head, BUT IT ALSO GOT to the Bosses' head as well. He basictly change our philosophy of a fast puck moving team that score a lot and tried to emulate a team that is similar to that of Boston...

The reason we were successful last year was because OF SKILL and Puck possession. Now we are but a team that can't score, we have gone back to the 2009, 2010 dump the puck and run around like chicken Canuck folks. All because we lost to Boston.

If it was my choice, Mike would also be fired if we are to be eliminated from the playoffs in the first round. It was just hilarious watching Mike Gillis' arrogant face look clueless out there.

You gotta give Mike some credit about creating a first class organization, but when it comes to the product in the playoffs... it's not good enough. The only "core" that Mike has added in 4 years of being GM is Dan Hamhuis. The rest... Nonis, and even Burkie.

For all the good things that Mike Gillis has done, his tenure with Vancouver will forever be defined by the Hodgson trade. Anyone at the time ( and it was majority of you) who liked the trade simply had blind faith in Gillis. It completely disrupted the teams chemistry and took away crucial secondary scoring (in big games to boot). Our hole was a top four defenseman and he goes out and gets Kassian whom is not NHL ready when we're in win NOW mode. That trade will forever be a headscratcher to me

For all the good things that Mike Gillis has done, his tenure with Vancouver will forever be defined by the Hodgson trade. Anyone at the time ( and it was majority of you) who liked the trade simply had blind faith in Gillis. It completely disrupted the teams chemistry and took away crucial secondary scoring (in big games to boot). Our hole was a top four defenseman and he goes out and gets Kassian whom is not NHL ready when we're in win NOW mode. That trade will forever be a headscratcher to me

Ehrhoff was useless last playoffs, and since he's hurt, he'd be useless for these ones too.

After the Seabrook hit, Torres made very little impact in the playoffs.

We're losing because almost all of our key players - Henrik, Daniel, Kesler, Edler - are either hurt, or playing the worst hockey they've played in about 3 years. In the long run (read: long playoff run) all those secondary and depth players you're talking about don't mean squat if your key guys don't show up.

Ehrhoff was useless last playoffs, and since he's hurt, he'd be useless for these ones too.

After the Seabrook hit, Torres made very little impact in the playoffs.

We're losing because almost all of our key players - Henrik, Daniel, Kesler, Edler - are either hurt, or playing the worst hockey they've played in about 3 years. In the long run (read: long playoff run) all those secondary and depth players you're talking about don't mean squat if your key guys don't show up.

i gave MG quite a bit of leash, i supported him with his "no goons, the power play will deter teams" and that by and large worked last year, we got to game 7. this year we got softer, and lost a 50point dman, but kept the mantra, and its honestly been a postseason disaster, both sedins get run, one is done, the power play is in shambles, nothing to deter anyone, we can't compete physicaly with kings, we have no response to their physical play or when our players get taken out, its a joke. it also looks like at the trade deadline he tried to address the complete lack of physicality with the kassian trade, but kassian is like a year or 2 away by the look of it, he also appears to be struggling with the media. jury still out on that trade. in hindsight letting torres go was a huge mistake, perhaps ehrhoff aswell.

so i agree with you, it is MG fault, the team is designed around his concept, and that concept has a weak point and every team in the league knows what it is. if we go out in the first its up to the acquilini's to figure things out. as it stands now the team is many pieces away from competing for a cup, and those pieces aren't on the farm, or are 2 years+ away. hes had 5 years and only 1 of his prospects has made it to the NHL and he traded him away. i don't think there is another GM out there to replace him with, but if one became available next season, hed certainly be on the hot seat. hes probably got 1 more year. bring in John Scott next season?

Mike Gillis has been one of the best GM's in the league since he came to Vancouver, end of story. He was the first one to get big name players to sign here and let the rest of the league know that its awesome to live and play in this city. If we let Mike Gillis go, this team will be in a downward spiral for years and years.

Archived