The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Is To Blame.

Sanford

Ehrhoff is not the only reason we're losing. MG moved Ehrhoff because he saw Edler as a suitable replacement on the PP and is he really that far off? Are you forgetting that the Canucks PP was locked into 1st place for the majority of the NHL season? You're also forgetting that even with Ehrhoff last year the powerplay completely dried up against Boston too. It's pretty inexplicable what's going on with the powerplay.

You have a pretty generous definition of proven playoff performer. Samuelsson is such a playoff performer that he managed all of 3 points in 2 rounds of play last year. Moving Samuelsson and Sturm for Booth is such a one-sided trade personnel wise that I have problems understanding why you'd have a problem with it. 4.25 million is not very significant in today's NHL salary cap with his skill set and age. Torres is a player I think any team would want but he had all of 7 points in the playoffs last year, I highly doubt moving him contributed significantly to why the Canucks are losing to LA.

You criticize the Canucks for not being a skilled team but they were number 4 in the NHL in goals for. I think if anything the Canucks are guilty of being too top heavy with the Sedins and you see that without Daniel the entire lineup is thrown out of whack. Adding to the problem is the fact that they've made so many defensive errors in this series and they do not have the offence to make you forget about them like they usually do. Last night's GWG was the result of blown coverage and of course in games 1 and 2 turnovers by the D were significant too.

When I read your post I just see someone who's ranting for the sake of ranting. It doesn't give me a better understanding of why we're losing to the Kings, at all.

this is a good team...we all know that...they have been for a couple of years....cudo's to mike gillis....they have won the president's trophy for two years running and gone to the seventh game of the scf.....cudo's to the coaching staff....and the players

yes, the team has fallen into a low point, partly because los angeles are hungrier and more motivated.....people can blame gillis or the coaching staff or individual players, or the refs or their mother's cooking but this team looks tired and not being able to score falls on everyone's shoulders, but the goalies....if we could score, we'ld be up 3 games to none....i appreciate what this team has done and agonize with them, trying to turn things around...with their backs against the wall, i'll stand there with them and leave the nit picking till the season is over...

this is a good team...we all know that...they have been for a couple of years....cudo's to mike gillis....they have won the president's trophy for two years running and gone to the seventh game of the scf.....cudo's to the coaching staff....and the players

yes, the team has fallen into a low point, partly because los angeles are hungrier and more motivated.....people can blame gillis or the coaching staff or individual players, or the refs or their mother's cooking but this team looks tired and not being able to score falls on everyone's shoulders, but the goalies....if we could score, we'ld be up 3 games to none....i appreciate what this team has done and agonize with them, trying to turn things around...with their backs against the wall, i'll stand there with them and leave the nit picking till the season is over...

Well, MG has actually assembled a good team - however, it's up to AV to spark chemistry. It's usually not the GM's fault if players slump - usually it is the coaching staff's fault. Mike has brought in potentially good players, but it seems that AV doesn't like young players who make high-risk, high-reward plays. I think that if we got a coach who gives young players more freedom, players like Kassian, Gragnani, Grabner, Ballard, and other's would have looked far better.

I tottaly agree with you OP, the erhoff thing was the first thing that got me a little angry then Torres then bringing in those useless players, and once the trade deadline hit, I was done I mean Cody Hodgson. Cody freaking Hodgson got traded for practically NOTHING and all you Kassian lovers don't get me wrong im not blaming him im just outraged that Hodgson at that time would be traded for kassian and that time.

I honestly thought that having a third scoring line would bring us to the cup this year, I mean that way if our top lines get injured or arent producing as much (NOW) then we could still have that sort of backup. And don't say well we only lost one player that doesnt mean the whole line can't score now. Yes it does, Cody was one of those players who played good and made everyone else he played with better, and once he left that line went from a line that can score and is decent defensivly to a defensive line that barley scores.

MG really dropped the ball on this trade and he will be forever known by it. I was also really upset about wha the OP was saying to but i really thought I wanted to add to what the OP didn't about Cody. Congrats Mike, were down 3-0 in the series, what are you gunna do now.

Erhoff was offered a fair contract and turned it down. So Gillis moved him. In my opinion he was a decent puck mover but terrible defensively. His points were adequately replaced by Edler and Bieksa. In the playoffs last year we saw the reemergence of "Errorhoff", the reason why SanJose felt he was expendable.

Torres, turned down the one-year offer for more security with a multi-year offer in Phoenix. I will agree with you that I miss this guy in our lineup. Althopugh let's be honest there were parts of the season last year that his picture belonged on the side of a milk carton. Missing in long stretches. We didn't lose Torres because we signed Sturm so I think you are off the mark a bit on this.

I like Booth long-term more than Samuellson. I just don't think he fits with Kesler. Samuellson looked like a shell of his former self at the start of this year. Even slower, which I didn't think was possible. Getting a young player with Booth's skill set for two older players was a good move. Samuellson seems to have bounced back and is now giving Florida that veteran playoff performance. I didn't think we would miss him that much but you might be right on this one (in hindsight).

I think the moves at the deadline were intended for the right reasons. If Hodgson wanted out then I think we got back some good future prospects in return. Adding Pahlsson was supposed to be to relieve Kesler from the "shutdown" centre role. Obviously being down 3-buzz has everyone looking to cast blame.

Gillis has done a good job, changed our team culture and for the most part it has been very successful. Yes, some of the parts were here already but they have all taken tremendous steps forward with Gillis in charge.

Honestly, I believe we are a better team with all the moves but I think the core of this team looks tired right now

Okay, if Mike Gillis had a time machine that could bring back the 2010 lineup, he would do so. He already knows he made several key mistakes, such as letting Torres and Hodgson go. We got a bench-warmer in return for our top point producer Hodgson. Torres was the gritty physical guy that this team desperately needed. Samuelsson is a smart playmarker that is the polar opposite of Booth who tries to do everything by himself.

It doesn't matter what you guys "believe" or what you think, because numbers don't lie. Our goals-for in the regular season were down (249 vs. 262), and our goals-against were up (198 vs. 185), even though goaltending was superior this year thanks to Schneider backing up. We fought our way to game 7 SCF last year, and now we can't even beat a 8th seeder.

Stop kidding yourselves, this current lineup blows and it's all because of Mike Gillis.

great article, i agree completley. the florida acquisitions are a complete bust, they were good players on a lousy team, look at calgary with boumeister n' jokinen, they were the best of a bad lot.

the number one rule for a gm in hockey , basketball n soccer is to never trade away a scorer, gillis did just that with hodgson. in principle the deal makes sense long term, but did he forget about right now!

gillis took us to one stanley cup and that will hold him here for another couple of years, but he has some big work to do if the canucks continue to struggle with their own game and fail in game 4.

clearly sutter has outcoached vigneault in the first 3 games with line match ups and player selection, it was wierd to see tanev with ballard...ballard hasn't played in 2 months and tanev ( playing real well ) has to carry him?, booth with kesler does not work with any constinency, higgins does...so fill the hole coach v!

or you'll be in montreal before the draft date.

You people are clueless. It's not Gillis, it's the meddling aquilinis that at fault here. Most of the moves that mg lakes defy logic because the aquilinis are pulling the strings in the background. Why do you think the team had direction under burke? it's because mccaw was an absentee owner and gave the gm free reign to do what was necessary. Do you think anyone in their right mind would have offered $10 for a retired player past his prime? Signed an unproven goaltender to that stupid contract? or give the captaincy to a goaltender?

Why does the "core" of our team look tired, yet the "cores" of other teams are tearing it up? THEY DIDN'T EVEN PLAY PRE-SEASON!

Answer: The core of our team, aside from the Sedins, are actually not as good as 90% of Vancouver fans think they are. They see regular season points. They see President's Trophy. They see shades of good stuff (Kesler vs. Nashville). And they assume this all means consistency.

It doesn't.

For all the good things that Mike Gillis has done, his tenure with Vancouver will forever be defined by the Hodgson trade. Anyone at the time ( and it was majority of you) who liked the trade simply had blind faith in Gillis. It completely disrupted the teams chemistry and took away crucial secondary scoring (in big games to boot). Our hole was a top four defenseman and he goes out and gets Kassian whom is not NHL ready when we're in win NOW mode. That trade will forever be a headscratcher to me

I couldn't agree more. MG is a good GM and AV is a good coach (probably the best we have ever had) but the Hodgson trade was a huge setback. This move has decimated the 2nd power play unit and given us another checking line. At least when we had Cody, the 2nd PP did something other than pass the puck around the perimeter or play dump and chase. Hodgson was a guy who scored when we needed it.

Kassian might be a good player down the road but we need producing players now.....unless of course we are throwing up our hands and are in rebuilding mode. The Presidents Throphy and we are having trouble getting out of the 1st round of the playoffs? If our stars are mugged, the guys are supposed to suck it up? The league isn't going to do anything so bring the hammer down....battle. I would rather see us go down swinging than going down like a bunch off mouthy wimps.

Archived