The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Is To Blame.

Sanford

Torres left because he wanted more than a 1 year deal.

Gillis offered him a 1 year deal ONLY.

People in this thread are b*tching about him not putting up points in the playoffs....However I think they forget he hits, and regardless of what some people think...intimidate the opposition.

After the loss in the first I was like "Oh maybe they were unlucky because of penalties"

The second game... "Maybe I should start a rant, but they got a lot of random shots in"

The third game? Ok it's time for a rant.

Mike Gillis failed in addressing this teams needs and problems after last year's elimination to Boston. Let me start, by saying that letting go of Christian Erhoff who was an integral piece to our cup run last year, was a complete debacle.

Erhoff would have only cost us 4.5-5 million dollars, don't even say that Mike would have overpaid Erhoff. What he should have done, is waive that 4.5 million dollar 6th defensemen that AV still refuses to use! Notice why every player is suffering in stats this year? Notice how our fragile defense is not moving the puck as well as last year? Christian Erhoff ladies and gentlemen.

Let's not forget that he got rid of both Torres And Samuelsson, who are proven playoff performers. Was it not Samuelsson who scored 7 goals + against the Kings in 09 to singlehandly eliminate them? No, when poor Sammy was injured Mike traded him away for another inconsistent 4.5 million dollar winger who is UNPROVEN. Booth like Ballard, was from a Florida team that had no taste of playoff experience. Booth at 4.5 million is a disaster.

And out of all who does he decide to keep as a pet? Mason Raymond. I've ranted a lot on this particular individual for years now, that he is simply an inconsistent and useless player... Come at me Mayray Fanboys, Everybody does not love Raymond. It's really fun to see Mason Raymond running around in circles, going into corners, falling down... again Mike seemed to think that this figure skater is a top 6 forward. By no means am I blaming our debacle on just poor Raymond, but after clearly evidence that this guy can't perform when it matters.... Does it not ring bells on that stubborn Gm of ours?

Torres. Now why did we get rid of Mr. Torres. The excuse was that he was an inconsistent player... Raymond, Kesler and Booth THEY'RE ALL INCONSISTENT. At least with Torres, he brings that physicality and is known to perform in the playoffs. You know what, if we kept Torres, we wouldn't even need Kassian. But you know what we got? 2 Million Dollar Marco Sturm who cost a lot more then Torres.

The entire mistake started when Mike Gillis decided to change the "balance of the team" because we lost to Boston. That's right we are more balanced Mike, It's to bad we can't score now. We have lost our identity that made us so successful last year and as that offensive juggernaut.... We are no longer 2011 puck possession team but back to the old Ryan Johnson, Steve Bernier, running around dumping the puck and thinking that they contributed to the team.

Where do I begin with Mike Gillis' trade deadline.. just where do I begin. This is self explanitory. He had 4.5+ million of capspace due to Ballard being in the IR. And what does Mike Gillis do? Ofcouse he gets rid of our Calder candidate (at the time) for Zach Kassian who is a raw rookie. You don't add a Pygmy marmoset monkey against experienced primates. You just don't... you just don't...

And if you wanted to add Kassian to the fold, why not give him a chance to succeed? I'm not saying I liked Cody Hodgson, but if you want to trade him, Trade him for proven help! Not Zach Kassian, who in my opinion is twice less the player Raffi Torres was.

We also traded for Marc Andre Gragnani... This to me seems like the most clueless and useless moves ever... but hey depth that you never use is always good.

Sammy Pahlsson. I liked this move, but when we got Pahlsson and traded away Cody our offense suffered. IMO we did not NEED ANOTHER CHECKING line. We have tried this Checking Line experiment in previous seasons that gave us little scoring in the post season.

The trade Deadline was a complete debacle. Mike did not address our needs.

Ok I will end this to keep it short.... Personally I feel the loss to Boston not ONLY got to our players head, BUT IT ALSO GOT to the Bosses' head as well. He basictly change our philosophy of a fast puck moving team that score a lot and tried to emulate a team that is similar to that of Boston...

The reason we were successful last year was because OF SKILL and Puck possession. Now we are but a team that can't score, we have gone back to the 2009, 2010 dump the puck and run around like chicken Canuck folks. All because we lost to Boston.

If it was my choice, Mike would also be fired if we are to be eliminated from the playoffs in the first round. It was just hilarious watching Mike Gillis' arrogant face look clueless out there.

You gotta give Mike some credit about creating a first class organization, but when it comes to the product in the playoffs... it's not good enough. The only "core" that Mike has added in 4 years of being GM is Dan Hamhuis. The rest... Nonis, and even Burkie.

I didnt read your essay but all you had to write was this

Kassian TOI 3:55

Gragnani HASNT EVEN DRESSED

Hodgson was traded for absolutely nothing, might as well have traded him for draft picks

Booth and Pahlsson were huge swings and misses as well, that was due to poor scouting and research on the Canucks part as well though

After the loss in the first I was like "Oh maybe they were unlucky because of penalties"

The second game... "Maybe I should start a rant, but they got a lot of random shots in"

The third game? Ok it's time for a rant.

Mike Gillis failed in addressing this teams needs and problems after last year's elimination to Boston. Let me start, by saying that letting go of Christian Erhoff who was an integral piece to our cup run last year, was a complete debacle.

Erhoff would have only cost us 4.5-5 million dollars, don't even say that Mike would have overpaid Erhoff. What he should have done, is waive that 4.5 million dollar 6th defensemen that AV still refuses to use! Notice why every player is suffering in stats this year? Notice how our fragile defense is not moving the puck as well as last year? Christian Erhoff ladies and gentlemen.

Let's not forget that he got rid of both Torres And Samuelsson, who are proven playoff performers. Was it not Samuelsson who scored 7 goals + against the Kings in 09 to singlehandly eliminate them? No, when poor Sammy was injured Mike traded him away for another inconsistent 4.5 million dollar winger who is UNPROVEN. Booth like Ballard, was from a Florida team that had no taste of playoff experience. Booth at 4.5 million is a disaster.

And out of all who does he decide to keep as a pet? Mason Raymond. I've ranted a lot on this particular individual for years now, that he is simply an inconsistent and useless player... Come at me Mayray Fanboys, Everybody does not love Raymond. It's really fun to see Mason Raymond running around in circles, going into corners, falling down... again Mike seemed to think that this figure skater is a top 6 forward. By no means am I blaming our debacle on just poor Raymond, but after clearly evidence that this guy can't perform when it matters.... Does it not ring bells on that stubborn Gm of ours?

Torres. Now why did we get rid of Mr. Torres. The excuse was that he was an inconsistent player... Raymond, Kesler and Booth THEY'RE ALL INCONSISTENT. At least with Torres, he brings that physicality and is known to perform in the playoffs. You know what, if we kept Torres, we wouldn't even need Kassian. But you know what we got? 2 Million Dollar Marco Sturm who cost a lot more then Torres.

The entire mistake started when Mike Gillis decided to change the "balance of the team" because we lost to Boston. That's right we are more balanced Mike, It's to bad we can't score now. We have lost our identity that made us so successful last year and as that offensive juggernaut.... We are no longer 2011 puck possession team but back to the old Ryan Johnson, Steve Bernier, running around dumping the puck and thinking that they contributed to the team.

Where do I begin with Mike Gillis' trade deadline.. just where do I begin. This is self explanitory. He had 4.5+ million of capspace due to Ballard being in the IR. And what does Mike Gillis do? Ofcouse he gets rid of our Calder candidate (at the time) for Zach Kassian who is a raw rookie. You don't add a Pygmy marmoset monkey against experienced primates. You just don't... you just don't...

And if you wanted to add Kassian to the fold, why not give him a chance to succeed? I'm not saying I liked Cody Hodgson, but if you want to trade him, Trade him for proven help! Not Zach Kassian, who in my opinion is twice less the player Raffi Torres was.

We also traded for Marc Andre Gragnani... This to me seems like the most clueless and useless moves ever... but hey depth that you never use is always good.

Sammy Pahlsson. I liked this move, but when we got Pahlsson and traded away Cody our offense suffered. IMO we did not NEED ANOTHER CHECKING line. We have tried this Checking Line experiment in previous seasons that gave us little scoring in the post season.

The trade Deadline was a complete debacle. Mike did not address our needs.

Ok I will end this to keep it short.... Personally I feel the loss to Boston not ONLY got to our players head, BUT IT ALSO GOT to the Bosses' head as well. He basictly change our philosophy of a fast puck moving team that score a lot and tried to emulate a team that is similar to that of Boston...

The reason we were successful last year was because OF SKILL and Puck possession. Now we are but a team that can't score, we have gone back to the 2009, 2010 dump the puck and run around like chicken Canuck folks. All because we lost to Boston.

If it was my choice, Mike would also be fired if we are to be eliminated from the playoffs in the first round. It was just hilarious watching Mike Gillis' arrogant face look clueless out there.

You gotta give Mike some credit about creating a first class organization, but when it comes to the product in the playoffs... it's not good enough. The only "core" that Mike has added in 4 years of being GM is Dan Hamhuis. The rest... Nonis, and even Burkie.

all you people who want Gillis and coach V fired are obviously too young to remember the absolute crap we had for management for the first 30 + years of this club. Spoiled brats.... try supporting this team when it shared the record for consecutive sub .500 seasons with the mighty Seattle Mariners I would much rather be complaining about not winning the cup and being so close for so long as we are now than wondering if we will ever see a playoff game. Hello TO

Well, MG has actually assembled a good team - however, it's up to AV to spark chemistry. It's usually not the GM's fault if players slump - usually it is the coaching staff's fault. Mike has brought in potentially good players, but it seems that AV doesn't like young players who make high-risk, high-reward plays. I think that if we got a coach who gives young players more freedom, players like Kassian, Gragnani, Grabner, Ballard, and other's would have looked far better.

Gragnani is a young dman that came to a new team with a completely different system you cant judge him until next season. he was a trade meant for depth and to replace someone like salo next year cheaply.

lets not forgot hodgson bitched and whined about everything. complaining about ice time when you are rookie on the best team in the league is absurd. hodgson has NO speed and he constantly lost battles on the boards, unless he was playing against other teams 3rd lines. when he went to buffalo and was a top 6 forward he did NOTHING just like he did NOTHING last year in the playoffs.

kassian was never meant to replace hodgson he was meant to be a big gritty winger that has some scoring abilities. this is not going to happen over night he is a couple years away from being an impact but thats what this team needs. prospects that are going to be ready when the sedins / kesler are no longer around or well out of their prime. hodgson showed no signs of wanting to be on this team unless kesler or henrik were going to move aside so he can get his precious ice time.

i can't even believe people are trying to blame MG for this team being down 3-0. the reason why this team is down 3-0 is because daniel sedin is out with a concussion. thats a huge problem because suddenly the canucks no longer have 2 scoring lines they have 4 lines that have no defined roles. they lose their (scoring) checking line because now higgins must move up to line 1 or 2. they lose their 4 line because now lapierre must move up to line 1 or 2. you have players being put in situations basically asked to preforms roles they are not capable of and cracking under the added pressure.

everyone tries to do a little more and everything falls apart. and when everyone plays solidly there's a chance you lose like game 3 because you lack scoring depth.

the only fault you can give MG is AV. i hate this guy i think he is a terrible playoff coach and i hope that if the canucks do get knocked out by the kings that the biggest move MG makes is getting rid of him and replacing him with someone who actually coaches. you can also say the sundin 20million contract was ludicrous and with the emergence of cory schneider the luongo NTC contract is looking bleak, i can tell you though if schneider starts game 4 i will be shocked if luo doesn't ask for a trade.

all you people who want Gillis and coach V fired are  obviously too young to remember the absolute crap we had for management for the first  30 + years of this club. Spoiled brats.... try supporting this team when it shared the record for consecutive sub .500 seasons with the mighty Seattle Mariners I would much rather be complaining about not winning the cup and being so close for so long as we are now than wondering if we will ever see a playoff game. Hello TO

Gillis is pure smoke and mirrors, he's added absolutely nothing in his time here. Our top 6 point scorers were all here before him. 9 of our top 12 points guys were all here before him plus our two outstanding goaltenders. He's decimated our farm system and managed to do so without adding any talent. The Ballard trade, the coho trade, the Luongo contract, the Bernier signing, the booth contract, the Sundin contract offer, not giving the twins the 10 year deal they wanted with a low cap hit, letting Hoff go, letting Torres go, signing Ryan Johnson, letting Willie Mithcell walk. Practically every decision he's made has been awful. Because he had a Stanley Cup team handed to him on a platter he gets credit he does't deserve. If not for Gillis we'd have at least one cup, probably more. He just can't evaluate talent, easily the worst gm we've ever had.

Gillis is pure smoke and mirrors, he's added absolutely nothing in his time here.  Our top 6 point scorers were all here before him.  9 of our top 12 points guys were all here before him plus our two outstanding goaltenders.  He's decimated our farm system and managed to do so without adding any talent.  The Ballard trade, the coho trade, the Luongo contract, the Bernier signing, the booth contract, the Sundin contract offer, not giving the twins the 10 year deal they wanted with a low cap hit, letting Hoff go, letting Torres go, signing Ryan Johnson, letting Willie Mithcell walk.  Practically every decision he's made has been awful.  Because he had a Stanley Cup team handed to him on a platter he gets credit he does't deserve.  If not for Gillis we'd have at least one cup, probably more.  He just can't evaluate talent, easily the worst gm we've ever had.

I am seeing a lot of blind fanaticism around here. Just because some of us are question the moves made by the GM or coach does not make us any less of fans.

Gillis has made some good moves like the Booth trade (which I still like) and the Sedins and Kesler contracts, but some pretty bad ones as well. Signing a goalie to a 12 year deal with a NMC stands out... WE HAVE ANOTHER 10 YEARS TO GO. However, Gillis will be remembered for the Hodgson trade. As a team that couldn't score in the biggest game in their lives, we traded someone that brought offense to the table. We got back in return a kid who isn't ready.

Our window is closing fast. The Sedins seem like they're on the decline and Kesler has taken a huge step back. How much longer before the Oilers or Avalanche start winning? Young teams like the Kings and Blues will only get better. This was probably the best chance we had. Oops.

this is a good team...we all know that...they have been for a couple of years....cudo's to mike gillis....they have won the president's trophy for two years running and gone to the seventh game of the scf.....cudo's to the coaching staff....and the players

yes, the team has fallen into a low point, partly because los angeles are hungrier and more motivated.....people can blame gillis or the coaching staff or individual players, or the refs or their mother's cooking but this team looks tired and not being able to score falls on everyone's shoulders, but the goalies....if we could score, we'ld be up 3 games to none....i appreciate what this team has done and agonize with them, trying to turn things around...with their backs against the wall, i'll stand there with them and leave the nit picking till the season is over...

The only move i didnt like from Gillis is signing Sturm and not signing Torres. And maybe the length on Luongo's contract

I dont really mind the CoHo trade. Maybe it was done at the wrong time, but i found this trade to help both sides really well. Unless Kassian turns into a bust in two years.

Archived