Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Mike Gillis Is To Blame.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#91 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

With all the questions surrounding some of Mike Gillis' moves over the last 4 years as GM, I decided I'd look back at all the trades and signings under his watch. I was really surprised to see how many players have come and gone in this short time frame. I had forgotten about many of these deals. And after all these moves, I'm really not sure how to judge Gillis' tenure as we sit on the cusp of elimination after winning the Presidents Trophy.

Some good moves (resigning the core), some questionable moves (saddling this team with long term contracts) and some down right bizarre moves (Mats Sundin -- $20MM offer). Last offseason alone, he signed 8 UFA's, all of whom played maybe 15 games combined. What was the point? Throw in the still shallow prospect pool and one has to wonder why he's been called a genius.

But you be the judge!!

2008:

2009:
  • signs Daniel and Henrik to identical five-year, $30.5 million contracts hours before free agency.
  • Signs Luongo to a 12-year, $64 million contract extension.

2010:

• traded Evan Oberg and 2013 3rd round pick. to Florida for Chris Higgins.
  • Traded Joel Perrault and a 2012 3rd round pick to Anaheim for Maxim Lapierre and MacGregor Sharp.
  • Traded Christian Ehrhoff's negotiation rights to Buffalo in exchange for a 4th round pick in 2012.
  • sign RFA Jannik Hansen to a 3-year contract.
  • Signed UFA's Byron Bitz, Mark Mancari, Alexander Sulzer, Steven Pinizzotto, Andrew Ebbett, Matt Climie, Mike Duco and Marco Sturm.
  • Re-signed RFA Viktor Oreskovich.
  • Claimed F Dale Weise off waivers from the New York Rangers.
  • Acquired David Booth, Steve Reinprecht and a 3rd round draft pick in 2013 in exchange for Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm.
  • Traded prospect Taylor Ellington and two fourth round picks to Columbus for Sami Pahlsson.
  • Traded Cody Hodgson and Alexander Sulzer to Buffallo Sabres for Zach Kassian and Marc-Andre Gragnani.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#92 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

This thread is the reason the site is laughed at by most fans.

1. We are missing our best player.
2. Kesler, a guy many of you love, has done NOTHING.
3. Can't waste any more time with this.

The Pens should trade Crosby, Malkin and Fleury based on the last week.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#93 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

With all the questions surrounding some of Mike Gillis' moves over the last 4 years as GM, I decided I'd look back at all the trades and signings under his watch. I was really surprised to see how many players have come and gone in this short time frame. I had forgotten about many of these deals. And after all these moves, I'm really not sure how to judge Gillis' tenure as we sit on the cusp of elimination after winning the Presidents Trophy.

Some good moves (resigning the core), some questionable moves (saddling this team with long term contracts) and some down right bizarre moves (Mats Sundin -- $20MM offer). Last offseason alone, he signed 8 UFA's, all of whom played maybe 15 games combined. What was the point? Throw in the still shallow prospect pool and one has to wonder why he's been called a genius.

But you be the judge!!

2008:

2009:
  • signs Daniel and Henrik to identical five-year, $30.5 million contracts hours before free agency.
  • Signs Luongo to a 12-year, $64 million contract extension.
2010:
  • traded Evan Oberg and 2013 3rd round pick. to Florida for Chris Higgins.
  • Traded Joel Perrault and a 2012 3rd round pick to Anaheim for Maxim Lapierre and MacGregor Sharp.
  • Traded Christian Ehrhoff's negotiation rights to Buffalo in exchange for a 4th round pick in 2012.
  • sign RFA Jannik Hansen to a 3-year contract.
  • Signed UFA's Byron Bitz, Mark Mancari, Alexander Sulzer, Steven Pinizzotto, Andrew Ebbett, Matt Climie, Mike Duco and Marco Sturm.
  • Re-signed RFA Viktor Oreskovich.
  • Claimed F Dale Weise off waivers from the New York Rangers.
  • Acquired David Booth, Steve Reinprecht and a 3rd round draft pick in 2013 in exchange for Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm.
  • Traded prospect Taylor Ellington and two fourth round picks to Columbus for Sami Pahlsson.
  • Traded Cody Hodgson and Alexander Sulzer to Buffallo Sabres for Zach Kassian and Marc-Andre Gragnani.

there is a list right here http://hfboards.hock...ad.php?t=577075

#94 vancouvercan

vancouvercan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:31 PM

1. Your post is way to long.
2. Second Consecutive Presidents choice is a great achievement.
3. They Playoffs this year require you brutally maim and injure the best player on the other team. Something I'm proud Canucks Players don't do.
4. MG hasn't had time to find players who will brutally mutilate the opposing teams best players.
5. Our best players were maimed by other teams.
6. F Ehrhoff, we've got scoring from everywhere. Bieksa and Edler made up for Ehrhoff.
7. Edler, Bieksa and Kesler have had a unfortunate playoffs this year.

= possible First round exit. Woop de Do.
I sy say lets make history. 3 Presidents Trophies in a row.
Go Gillis, Go AV.

#95 cyacry

cyacry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:33 PM

.....of course it matters! How do you possibly analyze the situation and shape arguments without backing it with at least minimal knowledge?!

doesn't seem like the OP has no knowledge about hockey, and most people following this team is questioning if MG did in fact screw up the trades.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.