With all the questions surrounding some of Mike Gillis' moves over the last 4 years as GM, I decided I'd look back at all the trades and signings under his watch. I was really surprised to see how many players have come and gone in this short time frame. I had forgotten about many of these deals. And after all these moves, I'm really not sure how to judge Gillis' tenure as we sit on the cusp of elimination after winning the Presidents Trophy.
Some good moves (resigning the core), some questionable moves (saddling this team with long term contracts) and some down right bizarre moves (Mats Sundin -- $20MM offer). Last offseason alone, he signed 8 UFA's, all of whom played maybe 15 games combined. What was the point? Throw in the still shallow prospect pool and one has to wonder why he's been called a genius.
But you be the judge!!
- MG does not re-sign Markus Naslund, nor Brendan Morrison. Offers free agent Mats Sundin a two-year, $20 million offer (accepted a one-year, pro-rated $8.6 million).
- re-signed Alexandre Burrows to a four-year, $8 million.
- claim Kyle Wellwood off waivers from the Maple Leafs.
- trade 2009 3rd round pick, a 2010 2nd round pick to Sabres for Steve Bernier and Brad Lukowich
- sign UFA’s Darcy Hordichuk, Ryan Johnson and Alexandre Bolduc.
- trade Ryan Shannon to the Senators for Lawrence Nycholat.
- Signed UFA’s Pavol Demitra, Rob Davison and Jason Krog.
- trade Lukas Krajicek and Juraj Simek to the Lightning for Shane O'Brien and Michel Oulett.
- trade a 7th round pick to the Kings in exchange for Jason Labarbera
- signs Daniel and Henrik to identical five-year, $30.5 million contracts hours before free agency.
- Signs Luongo to a 12-year, $64 million contract extension.
- Signs UFA’s Mikael Samuelsson, Sergei Shirokov, Andrew Raycroft, Tanner Glass, Guillaume Desbiens, Mike Funk, Mathieu Schneider and Matt Pettinger.
- Traded prospect Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi to the San Jose Sharks for Christian Ehrhoff and Brad Lukowich.
- Acquired Nathan McIver from the Anaheim Ducks for Mike Brown.
- claimed defenseman Ossi Vaananen off waivers.
- Traded Canucks first-round draft pick (Quinton Howden) plus Michael Grabner and Steve Bernier to Florida for Keith Ballard and Victor Oreskovich.
- Signed UFA Dan Hamhuis to a 6 year $27 million deal and UFA Manny Malhotra to a 3 year $7.5 Million deal.
- Signed UFA's Jeff Tambellini, Joel Perrault, Yann Sauve, Lee Sweatt and Chris Tanev, Bill Sweatt and Raffi Torres.
- Resigned prospect Cory Schneider.
- Traded Darcy Hordichuk to Panthers for Andrew Peters
- traded Evan Oberg and 2013 3rd round pick. to Florida for Chris Higgins.
- Traded Joel Perrault and a 2012 3rd round pick to Anaheim for Maxim Lapierre and MacGregor Sharp.
- Traded Christian Ehrhoff's negotiation rights to Buffalo in exchange for a 4th round pick in 2012.
- sign RFA Jannik Hansen to a 3-year contract.
- Signed UFA's Byron Bitz, Mark Mancari, Alexander Sulzer, Steven Pinizzotto, Andrew Ebbett, Matt Climie, Mike Duco and Marco Sturm.
- Re-signed RFA Viktor Oreskovich.
- Claimed F Dale Weise off waivers from the New York Rangers.
- Acquired David Booth, Steve Reinprecht and a 3rd round draft pick in 2013 in exchange for Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm.
- Traded prospect Taylor Ellington and two fourth round picks to Columbus for Sami Pahlsson.
- Traded Cody Hodgson and Alexander Sulzer to Buffallo Sabres for Zach Kassian and Marc-Andre Gragnani.