The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do Or Die With Luu

Robongo

Keep it 5 on 5 and start Lu.

edit

Just want to add it's kind of sad to see how quickly fans can turn on the guy who single handedly kept us out of the conference basement. Give him some credit. He's been extremely successful in his career and Van and kept the team as a contender. If the team showed up for game 7 last year he would have won the Conn Smythe.

If he ends up being the goalie gone, Schneids is going to get the exact same treatment as Lu does now because everyone's going to expect god-like performances from him every night.

Schneider is a GREAT goalie but he seems to always get the benefit of the doubt from fans.

Either way Vancouver's a goalie graveyard because the fans can't appreciate what they have. Everything seems to be pinned on the goalies in this city.

Just my 2 cents.

You just don't lose a series with Luongo sitting on your bench. AV can't afford to take that gamble. If AV goes with Luongo and we lose, that's okay - he went with the best, and he lost with the best. But if AV goes with Schneider and we lose? With a goaltender like Luongo with all that experience and talent sitting on the bench? No way.

Luongo starts every elimination game. So he gets every game in this series from here on out.

Aquilini and Gillis have an interesting decision to make, no way AV is the sole decider in this one.

I. Play Lu, and probably die with Lu in the series. Then trade Schneider for big returns in Summer. But take a leap of faith that Lu can continue to improve, especially his mental game, at his age going forward and into next years playoffs, without a safety net. Its also an endorsement of the Gillis commitment to Lu.

2. Play Schneider, much better chance at being the 4th team to come back from 3-0 down. But if we do lose this series, Lu might decide to wave his NTC and be moved. Not near as big a return because of the contract. Another leap of faith that Cory won't crack under the pressure of the #1 position and the amount of games played.

Go for 1. you are going for the return. The compensation that opens the door to improve the team NEXT year.

Go for 2. you are going for the Cup NOW....at all costs.

Of course if we actually do take this series though, no matter who carries us, it is a win win.

I'll be waiting on pins and needles until they announce it.

In my opinion this decision will have a huge impact of what is going to happen in the summer. If they go with Lou then they are saying goodbye to Schneider. If they go with Schneider and we win and go on to win the series and more with Schneider in net. They have a very interesting summer ahead of them.

In one aspect, I think we can assume that if we decided to trade Luongo instead of Schneider we wouldn't get nearly much in return do to the fact that there would be less teams bidding for that contract. Our team is getting older so maybe keeping Lou and dealing Schneider for a better and younger package could help us more now and in the future, even if people think Schneider is the better goalie. Detroit won with Osgood and Luongo is 10x the goalie Osgood is.

No matter what happens tonight, the future is going to be interesting.

As much as I love Luongo, I think it would be better for the franchise and its fans to go with Schneider. No one is as polarizing as Luongo and everybody loves Schneider and he is a fantastic goalie to boot.

In my opinion, if Luongo didn't have such an un-workable contract, I'd go with Schneids who is much younger and playing just as good if not better than Luo. Of course people will bring up the fact that Schneider hasn't had a full work-load yet and is still somewhat unproven, but if he can play like is has for the past two years, especially like he has in the big games, I don't see the problem. Everyone is confident and calm when Schneider is in net and like it or not, we all have that "which Luo are we going to get tonight" running through our minds when Luongo plays.

But all of this doesn't matter because Luongo's contract is impossible to work with. We are stuck with him. Which isn't a bad thing at all. He is still a great goalie, but like I said above, I believe that Schneider being younger with so much potential would be the wiser choice for this franchise.

Edit: grammar and spelling

dumbasses Kypreos and McLean going on about buying out Luongo's contract... these guys get way too much airtime, particularly when it comes to talking about the Canucks, a team they repeatedly show very little insight into - aloof, smug coverage that isn't really for the fanbase - I love Sportsnet, but these guys aren't worth tuning in to.

dumbasses Kypreos and McLean going on about buying out Luongo's contract... these guys get way too much airtime, particularly when it comes to talking about the Canucks, a team they repeatedly show very little insight into - aloof, smug coverage that isn't really for the fanbase - I love Sportsnet, but these guys aren't worth tuning in to.

Regardless of which goalie you cheer for...this decision in a lot of ways is a sad day for Vancouver fans. lou has given his all in and for Vancouver. I believe he is not overly surprised by AV;s choice in game 4, Lou is a bright guy and realizes how much better Cory's stats are. I think this is just the exclamation mark behind the way this season has gone. Where it goes from here will be a huge topic for discussion.

A lot of pressure on Schneids as he is now the guy to carry the torch. The team will ride him to the end of this series.

Archived