The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is The Nhl 'fixed' ?

no... and don't ask me to "support" or "back it up," because this topic has been brought up every year for longer than I've been a member here, and I've grown tired of pointing out the same stuff over and over every year.

Is The Nhl 'fixed' ?

There are too many variables to control too produce an outcome that you might want. But I believe that a team could be blacklisted, or as the play-offs evolve, you could give certain teams a helping hand.

For example........Ever since Bettman blocked the sale of Phoenix to Balsillie,Ive noticed a lot of game management in close games with Phoenix. And Im not talkin just with Vancouver, every team. They did go from cellar dwellar of ten years or so to regular play-off apperences in that very year. Can you imagine if after blocking that sale for them to continue too dwell at the bottom of the league......We're are talkin Bettman here.

Play pro line - you'll believe it's fixed.

How many tie games do we see these days.

They've quadrupled.

The NHL has become a sensationalized soap opera.

Probably about ratings.

Whole teams don't need to be fixed. Key players.

Even coaching decisions affect a game.

Watch Crosby fight. My woman throws a cleaner punch.

If it were a real fight he'd be handed his head.

Cherry's right - he's not a tough guy.

He's a kid.

Hossa - he takes a hard hit.

It's hockey.

Anyone who plays gets their bell wrung.

You have hockey equipment and your in shape if you're in the NHL.

He's carried out like it's a car accident.

He'll be skating in next game like nothing happened.

If that's not theater with a purpose, I don't know what is.

Hockey will become cigarette like soccer where they crawl into a fetal position complete with thumb sucking when they break a nail.

What happened to hockey players that were too tough to whine about the pain.

Strength is not the priority anymore.

The world where everyone's a victim is hitting hockey.

So is it fixed?

I was worried Rick Tocchet was running pro line...

• 7 months later...

Fixed is a strong word, but I do believe they have certain preferences to who wins the Stanley Cup. Most people will say I'm just a butthurt Canucks fans, so be it. I don't care what they say. When the officiating was one-sided in the Chicago series in 2011 in game 6, the Blackhawks won the game, a very very close game that could have gone either way. When Gillis stepped up and said something, "oh he's just a cry baby, there goes the crybaby Canucks, never won a Stanley Cup blah blah blah." He pointed out statistics, which never lie. The next game, the refs called it fair and the Canucks absolutely dominate. If it wasn't for Crawford the score would have been 5-1. The Stanley Cup wins that I believe were helped along were Pittsburgh in '09, Chicago in '10 and Boston in '11. I think Los Angeles won it pretty legitimately, mostly because the game is called to cater to their style, which is not their fault and their team was stacked. The league has very little to gain from Los Angeles winning, but Pittsburgh, Chicago and Boston? Two of the three are original six teams and Pittsburgh's got Sidney. Yes, put on my tinfoil hat the naysayers will say. And they're entitled to their opinion. But watch some series that involve Canadian teams that do not involve the Canucks. You will not be pleased with what you see. Montreal and Boston from 2011? So many blatant fouls let go that Boston committed. I'm a Canucks fan and I live in the midwest, about two hours from Chicago, two years ago all I ever heard was "Chicago is such a young team, they're so likeable, theyre so exciting, they're so talented, hockey's finally back in Chicago." Hockey never left Chicago for one thing. And when you're trying to market something what's the best way to get the product out there? Have them win the most famous trophy in sports. Now their attendance has skyrocketed and the league just took a once-pathetic market, and turned it into a huge profit. Ask yourself this, would Chicago or Boston have the attendance they do without the cup wins? I can't prove they wouldn't, but I have a strong inkling they wouldn't. The league has nothing to gain by Canadian teams winning the Stanley Cup, the game is so so so popular here the fans live it. But when an American team with struggling attendance figures win it, the lure of the American television deal, the American dollar buying expensive seats to the game, the American dollar buying merchandise left and right. The profit is immense. From a business standpoint, it makes total sense for the league to favor the 22 American teams versus the 8 Canadian ones. But it doesn't mean us fans have to like that our once proud league and game has been twisted and perverted for big business greed. Again, I'm probably just another butthurt Canucks fan according to most, but that's just how i feel. Go Canucks!

The NHL is more 'broken' right now than anything.

It remains to be seen whether they can get their fans back, given how south the entertainment value has gone in the last few months of NHL action.

As much i love the Canucks, it's going to pain me to watch that crap called they NHL hockey ever again. League-wide problems for years, not just our loss against with the Kings. Shady, shady, shady. And crap-looking play since January last season. Hey, if somebody wants to honestly pay big bucks to see a bunch of damn hand holds, they'd go to a UFC event.

Given the obvious 'management' of games. . .

Given the completely inconsistent officiating that ALWAYS seems to favour keeping games close and ... teams in it. . .

Given the favouritism shown to small market american teams. . .

Given the completely amorphus standards. . .

Given that Shanahan is a complete joke. . .

Given that all the old referees have been run out of the game. . .

Is there any other conclusion than the NHL is now the WWF?

#turnitoff

Given the obvious 'management' of games. . .

Given the completely inconsistent officiating that ALWAYS seems to favour keeping games close and ... teams in it. . .

Given the favouritism shown to small market american teams. . .

Given the completely amorphus standards. . .

Given that Shanahan is a complete joke. . .

Given that all the old referees have been run out of the game. . .

Is there any other conclusion than the NHL is now the WWF?

#turnitoff

The NHL is more 'broken' right now than anything.

It remains to be seen whether they can get their fans back, given how south the entertainment value has gone in the last few months of NHL action.

As much i love the Canucks, it's going to pain me to watch that crap called they NHL hockey ever again. League-wide problems for years, not just our loss against with the Kings. Shady, shady, shady. And crap-looking play since January last season. Hey, if somebody wants to honestly pay big bucks to see a bunch of damn hand holds, they'd go to a UFC event.

There are defiantly conflicting issues. How can Shanny be allowed to suspend players, when he has had positive had negative relationships with 90% of the league?

I will say the NHL likes close games. I can't remember the stat exactly, but the trailing team in the final 2 mins, is like 70% more likely than the other team of getting a PP.

You cant outright 'rig' a professional sport like this. However, the refs can play a powerful motivator.

Ask any player or coach or GM , and the players will try to set a 'tone' based on the reputations of the refs and on their own reputation and if they are at home or not.

The refs call good and bad games, but where the rigging really comes from is the decisions in Toronto. The stupid video replay has been bent out of shape way to far too often for me to believe that it is honestly objective in opinion.

So the league tries to balance two things. First is its integrity, but a close second is its RATINGS and PROFIT. So we all know that teams winning the cup down south is big money for the league. I dont think a Canadian team winning the cup will matter in the slightest anymore to selling tickets.

So the refs and league do 'massage' the calls but there is no way to outright rig it without calling into question the reputation of the game itself. So they have to walk a fine line.

Think we are bad? Try running back a 100 touchdown all to have a ref whip out a flag for some ridiculous thing and have the play cancelled.

Now THAT is rigging.

Archived