The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is The Nhl 'fixed' ?

Given the obvious 'management' of games. . .

Given the completely inconsistent officiating that ALWAYS seems to favour keeping games close and ... teams in it. . .

Given the favouritism shown to small market american teams. . .

Given the completely amorphus standards. . .

Given that Shanahan is a complete joke. . .

Given that all the old referees have been run out of the game. . .

Is there any other conclusion than the NHL is now the WWF?

#turnitoff

This is what politicians do too; they blame it on incompetence when it is actually carefully crafted. I just don't believe that the integrity of the game can stand up to billions of dollars in capitalist profits. No billion dollar capitalist organization leaves anything to chance. It is all about containing risk and maximizing return.

It's not fixed, just poorly run. Honor and integrity was sold out for the mighty $$

I personally don't even put that much blame on the refs considering they are constantly told to do things different back and forth from week to week. One day it's call the game strict and maintain control. The next day it's let the players play and don't dictate the game. Then we have Shanaban literally pulling numbers out of a hat to determine suspension length which is obviously giving the players mixed signals because it isn't just 1 playoff series getting out of control it's almost every series.

It's chaotic. Though I admit I am still enjoying the games.

codes of silences don't tend to work especially with so many people involved. besides, every player has a huge interest in winning because that greatly affects their contracts.

what obvious interventions of the NHL head office do you speak of? if they want games to be close, why are there so many blowouts? why didn't they call a penalty on LA yesterday to make it go to OT? why were 4 of 7 games of the SCF last year blowouts? why did philly keep getting power plays yesterday when they were winning, instead of letting the penguins a chance to get back in to the game and the series?

It comes down to inconsistency from the refs. They should not have the power to swing momentum in games with phantom calls and non-calls.

And I'm not saying this only happens to the Canucks because it is a league wide epidemic

but everyone wants to keep watching this series! think of the TV ratings, let alone all the tickets that would be purchased at absurd prices.

why does L.A. need to move on now? why not prolong the series? it would help the ratings, and get everyone in LA more excited.

If boston was supposed to win, why did they receive more penalties than the canucks? why wasn't burrows suspended?

seriously i just don't think it adds up to a conspiracy.

Is The Nhl 'fixed' ?

There are too many variables to control too produce an outcome that you might want. But I believe that a team could be blacklisted, or as the play-offs evolve, you could give certain teams a helping hand.

For example........Ever since Bettman blocked the sale of Phoenix to Balsillie,Ive noticed a lot of game management in close games with Phoenix. And Im not talkin just with Vancouver, every team. They did go from cellar dwellar of ten years or so to regular play-off apperences in that very year. Can you imagine if after blocking that sale for them to continue too dwell at the bottom of the league......We're are talkin Bettman here.

The NHL, for the past 10-15 years has operated despite itself, not because of itself.

The board of governers, NHLPA, and League officials will not be satisfied until they completely 'Americanize' this game for the sake of weak-market teams with large TV contracts.

Every year that goes by, every change the NHL makes, every minor (or major in some cases) tweak the board of governers/owners make to 'Americanize' the game, I become less of a fan.

The sad part is that I've realized and come to terms with the fact that the league I've loved for my entire life couldn't care one bit if they lose me as a fan if they gain 2 other fringe fans in some weak-market American city.

Archived