The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Biggest Struggle Of The Last 3 Months

Vancouver was flying last night with a solid 60 minute effort. Their 5 on 5 play was impeccable. Their forecheck was great, running in and taking the puck carrier out of the play before he could move the puck, and turning it into more zone time. With 2 games in a row with 40+ shots on net (48 in game 2, 41 in game 3), you can't say they haven't been trying to put it in. Quick is an extremely good goaltender, and the only way I see Vancouver scoring on him is moving the puck east to west, which is where we miss Daniel Sedin. With Daniel in the line-up, if Henrik's level of play has been any indication, the power play would have made LA pay for taking penalties, as there would have been 2 or 3 good cross slot passes for scoring chances.

Being 0/14 in the playoffs so far, the power play definitely needs a shake up. Vancouver's getting the chances, but with Daniel out, we don't have a true sniper out there to take advantage of the situation. So here's my solution... and hear me out on this one.

1st Unit: Put Lapierre on the PP to stand in front of the net with Henrik and Burrows up front, and Salo with Kesler on the point. Lapierre can contest with Mitchell, Doughty, whoever is taking care of the front of the net for LA. Lapierre is an extremely aggressive player when he wants to be, and can create commotion in front of Quick. With 2 or 3 big bodies in between the shooter and net like that, Quick could get really frustrated with traffic in front of him.

With Kesler on the point, it gives the blue line some speed to get back if need be, without really sacrificing a shooter. Kesler is a player who has the ability to surpass the speed of their penalty killers, and take them off the puck. As for the shooting aspect, in a lot of cases, all it takes to pot one is a shot that gets through, not one that you bury your head and drill, and hope that it misses the shins in front of you. Look at Samuelsson in Florida, he puts a wrist shot through traffic and it either finds the back of the net, or creates a good rebound opportunity. Example: Game 2 in Florida, go to nhl.com and look at Weiss's first goal. Not Samuelsson's first rodeo either.

2nd Unit: Higgins, Hansen, and Booth up front with Edler and Ballard on the point. Any one of the forwards on this line can get in front of the net, battle for the puck, hit, pass, and shoot. Doesn't matter who you turn to on this line, they can get it done. This line is pure speed and aggression. Combine the versatility of the forward unit with 2 shooters in Edler and Ballard as point men, they'll be able to keep the puck in the zone, and change the lines while maintaining possession of the puck, forcing LA to keep it's tired killers on to contest with Unit 1.

I know it's hard to come back from a 3-0 series deficit, but it has been done before. Who's to say it won't happen again? Must wins can bring out the best in a team. I still believe.

GO CANUCKS GO! :towel:

I agree with mostly everything you said - If the Canucks come out and play like they did last night we will win and have a chance to take it home to grind out another W. You could tell at certain points last night LA was feeling it, a number of players were hunched over between whistles and we gave quick some good bumps to shake him up, I am just praying we can put it all together for a 2nd game in a row.

I do not think we will drop this series in 4, or 5 or 6 for that matter - this team is too good and has put too much into this to be swept by the kings, only 3 teams in history have come back from 3-0 or something? Well like everyone says stats go out the window in the playoffs! Lets do this boys!

I agree with mostly everything you said - If the Canucks come out and play like they did last night we will win and have a chance to take it home to grind out another W. You could tell at certain points last night LA was feeling it, a number of players were hunched over between whistles and we gave quick some good bumps to shake him up, I am just praying we can put it all together for a 2nd game in a row.

I do not think we will drop this series in 4, or 5 or 6 for that matter - this team is too good and has put too much into this to be swept by the kings, only 3 teams in history have come back from 3-0 or something? Well like everyone says stats go out the window in the playoffs! Lets do this boys!

The Kings just won 3 games in a row. If the Kings can win 3 games in a row, why can't the Canucks?

This best or 7 series thing really brainwashes a lot of the players and fans. If you don't think about the probability of it then your mentality is far better off.

Just pull out a win on Wednesday and win game 5 at home and treat game 6 as if it's the final game 7.

Archived