The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will The Raymond Hate Ever End?

Ugli Fruit

to be fair kesler burrows booth AND raymond have not done close to enough this series and kesler and raymond not enough in during the season.

raymond is by no means a bad player, i just dont want him back next season.. people keep saying he has potential.. im done on potential.. i want some friggen production. period.

I don't like ragging on players in threads that are devoted entirely to them (prefer to do it in the PGT and then be done with it) but holy lord what a copout on the play that led to Kopitar's goal.

I coach a bunch of Pee Wees and the first thing I tell them is "take the body and don't get mezmerised by the puck". Elementary hockey right there. If Raymond is afraid to initiate contact because of his injury he needs to pull himself from the lineup. Can't be making plays like that where he just does a fly by of the puck and doesn't do anything to knock the player off of it.

Very disappointing

I don't like ragging on players in threads that are devoted entirely to them (prefer to do it in the PGT and then be done with it) but holy lord what a copout on the play that led to Kopitar's goal.

I coach a bunch of Pee Wees and the first thing I tell them is "take the body and don't get mezmerised by the puck". Elementary hockey right there. If Raymond is afraid to initiate contact because of his injury he needs to pull himself from the lineup. Can't be making plays like that where he just does a fly by of the puck and doesn't do anything to knock the player off of it.

Very disappointing

The guy is one of our best forwards right now. He is backchecking, hitting effectively, not falling, creating chances and generally doing everything but scoring, which is more than one can say about a lot of people.

This is people's reasoning to give Kesler a free pass.

- He was injured and missed training camp

- The PP is struggling; so naturally he will too

- He gives 100% consistently

- He is defensively solid

Yet, the funny thing is, Raymond does the same things Kesler does.

- He was injured and missed training camp (even worse injury)

- He was taken off the PP (also, the PP sucking should have something to do with its members. Kesler is a member)

- He gives 100% consistently

- He is defensively solid

But Raymond can be hated upon with impunity? He doesn't even have close to Kesler's ice time either.

Why is he being hated on now? He's doing nothing wrong other than scoring (nobody is scoring). He actually hits, and he knocked down a few people from his hits. I also saw him jawing at Brown the shift after he hit Henrik (shows he's really passionate). I saw him skating hard and backchecking. I saw him make some good passes (eg. to Lapierre in front of the net in period 1).

So why is he being hated on? Of course, not all of CDC is, but there are too many people bashing him than necessary IMO.

Edit: Why does nobody actually read my point?

These arguments again are : He isn't scoring, he is falling down, he can't make a pass.

He isn't scorng, but Kesler isn't either. He ISN'T falling and he IS making passes as of now.

It's a dumb time to hate on him and people just think he's still bad.

I think the problem was that he did try to take the body on Kopitar but he tried to play through Kopitar instead of just tie Kopitar up (or at least tie up Kopitar's stick). He had a few shifts later but it looks like he did end up getting benched after giving up the puck in the neutral zone leading to the Canucks getting hemmed in the defensive end (again).

I like Raymond's speed. That was what everybody raved about when he first started playing. It does add a lot to the line-up but only when he is, at the very least, defensively responsible. When Raymond first started he was able to make plays while flying. The main drawback then was that he was a perimeter player (which is still a major issue for him). Right now though, Raymond is adding very little to the roster and seems to be making things worse.

Frankly, I think Ebbett should play instead of Raymond. Although Weise would obviously add more of a physical element, I think Ebbett's game is more suited to replacing a guy like Raymond than Weise.

Kopitar basically just glided Raymond past him on the first goal, and he just gets pushed off the puck much too easily.

There's no real answer to Raymond. He's not strong enough to drive to the net, and he doesn't have a good enough shot to play a perimeter game.

Maybe he should stick to trying to be a playmaker like Henrik. Just worse.

The Kopitar goal doesn't happen if Raymond stays with him, angles him along the boards, instead of trying to hit a guy who has 3 inches, and 40 pounds on him. Seriously... even if Raymond connected, he would have bounced right off of him. But no, Raymond puts himself entirely out of the play, and I was yelling at him even before the puck went in the net.

Won't be sorry to see him go.

And incidentally, does he remind anyone else of Denny, the slightly mentally handicapped kid from The Room?

emvideo-youtube-mLrXDtlT68c.jpg

Raymond is an enigma. He has shown in the past he can score. He has incredible speed and it has helped the team when backchecking or stripping the puck from opponents. What fans seem to abhor is his unwillingness to drive to the net, instead goes to the outside only to squander another offensive opportunity. His shot isn't lethal so that's another reason why people are up in arms when most of his shots are from Timbuktu. Maybe it's his fear of getting hit. I don't know. AV has given him plenty of opportunities. Unfortunately, offensive production isn't in Raymond's repertoire. At best, he is a good speedy checking forward, good for a fourth liner.

Raymond is an enigma. He has shown in the past he can score. He has incredible speed and it has helped the team when backchecking or stripping the puck from opponents. What fans seem to abhor is his unwillingness to drive to the net, instead goes to the outside only to squander another offensive opportunity. His shot isn't lethal so that's another reason why people are up in arms when most of his shots are from Timbuktu. Maybe it's his fear of getting hit. I don't know. AV has given him plenty of opportunities. Unfortunately, offensive production isn't in Raymond's repertoire. At best, he is a good speedy checking forward, good for a fourth liner.

Raymond has one thing going for him and that's speed. He lacks size, skill, can't make a play or pass, falls down too easily, can't control the puck... He's also had more than enough chances to change his game, however he's the same raymond as I can remember him. Just a perimeter player who's always been afraid to take it to the net.

Change would be really good for him.

Archived