The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will The Raymond Hate Ever End?

Ugli Fruit

I don't get why people think Raymond is a speedy player. He isn't. He's a decent skater when he's not falling down, but he doesn't have the explosiveness to get behind defensemen (have you EVER seen him blow between two d-men or around them?), nor does he have the speed to catch up to players breaking the other way (like Tambellini did in the playoffs last year vs Erat I believe), even a tired Kopitar looked to have more speed to that puck. Hansen, Lappy, a healthy Kesler, Booth & Burrows play much faster than Raymond.

Raymond is useless. He's like a black hole of offensive play...any line he's on will struggle to score. He should never be getting the ice time he's getting. The only thing he's good at, PK, we have enough players to handle anyway (Kes, Burr, Higgins, Hansen, Lappy, Pahlson, Malholtra). I'd much rather have Bitz in there, or even MAG as a 7th D-man just incase the PP goes south or an injury.

I'll go one further and say that Raymond not only is sporadically good at best, but he's mostly a minus to the team. I hope he never reads these threads as I'm sure he's a stand up lad but, on the Canucks he's a detriment to whatever line he is on. The fans are puzzled by his play sometimes, the announcers are puzzled, and worse, his linemates are puzzled. I will say that he can be very good at passing in the O zone, but then we have more than a couple that are good at that. But that's the best I can say about him, other than his speed.

I've no doubt that some of Kesler's backsliding this year is because he was saddled with that succubus of a player for a lot of the year. I swear he reverses momentum faster than any player I've ever watched. I'm being harsh, but seriously, I do not get AV's mancrush hunches. Raymond continues to get top minutes for morale sucking play. I hope to gawd AV can pull cupids arrow out it time.

I don't get why people think Raymond is a speedy player. He isn't. He's a decent skater when he's not falling down, but he doesn't have the explosiveness to get behind defensemen (have you EVER seen him blow between two d-men or around them?), nor does he have the speed to catch up to players breaking the other way (like Tambellini did in the playoffs last year vs Erat I believe), even a tired Kopitar looked to have more speed to that puck. Hansen, Lappy, a healthy Kesler, Booth & Burrows play much faster than Raymond.

Raymond is useless. He's like a black hole of offensive play...any line he's on will struggle to score. He should never be getting the ice time he's getting. The only thing he's good at, PK, we have enough players to handle anyway (Kes, Burr, Higgins, Hansen, Lappy, Pahlson, Malholtra). I'd much rather have Bitz in there, or even MAG as a 7th D-man just incase the PP goes south or an injury.

Raymond is an odd case. It's not that he's a bad player but we have far better options and he no longer has a role on this team when considering the wealth of depth players we have. He has played well enough in this series I suppose but he still continues to make costly mistakes. Schneider might very well have had a shutout had Raymond not misplayed the puck in the 1st period against Kopitar.

That said, I have to say I really liked the lines AV put together for the 3rd:

Daniel-Henrik-Booth

Burrows-Kesler-Lapierre --> most hated line in hockey

Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen

I'm not 100% sold on Booth's role on the 1st line but as long as the twins are producing it doesn't really matter in my book.

The only hole was our 4th line. What I don't understand is why AV continues to put Kassian in this lineup in favour of Bitz (suspension is up), Ebbet, and Weise when it's clear that this kid is a liability with minimal impact on this team. The only saving grace was that he was benched about half way into the 2nd period and was on the ice for under 4 minutes.

I have a feeling Kassian and Raymond will be healthy scratches next game.

The Kopitar goal doesn't happen if Raymond stays with him, angles him along the boards, instead of trying to hit a guy who has 3 inches, and 40 pounds on him. Seriously... even if Raymond connected, he would have bounced right off of him. But no, Raymond puts himself entirely out of the play, and I was yelling at him even before the puck went in the net.

Won't be sorry to see him go.

And incidentally, does he remind anyone else of Denny, the slightly mentally handicapped kid from The Room?

emvideo-youtube-mLrXDtlT68c.jpg

I don't like ragging on players in threads that are devoted entirely to them (prefer to do it in the PGT and then be done with it) but holy lord what a copout on the play that led to Kopitar's goal.

I coach a bunch of Pee Wees and the first thing I tell them is "take the body and don't get mezmerised by the puck". Elementary hockey right there. If Raymond is afraid to initiate contact because of his injury he needs to pull himself from the lineup. Can't be making plays like that where he just does a fly by of the puck and doesn't do anything to knock the player off of it.

Very disappointing

the kopitar goal doesn't happen if raymond, who had position on kopitar, as clearly evident from him missing in front of kopitar, just freaking plays the puck. the simplest concept in the whole freaking world. why/how raymond decided he was a rough, hard hitting , gritty player is beyond me.

Did you see what he did on the Kopitar Goal to put us down 1-0?

Did you see when we needed to keep the puck in the zone late in game 3, and three other Canucks caught deep were relying on Raymond to make a simple play at the blue line, and he couldn't? /end of Canucks pressure until the final minute.

Did you see the puck bobble on his stick when everyone else seemed to recieve the pass fine on the powerplay?

Did you see when we had them pinned in their zone for nearly 3 minutes, and their line was still out there... Raymond takes a typical shot from the boards for an easy Quick save, leading to them getting the proper lines out... this while the Canucks are AWAY and have last change.

UNclutch, UNhockeysense.

Archived