The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Esplen Nails The Coaching Problem (Must Read)

jonnycanuck46

In regards to puck possession style getting shut down by what the Bruins and now Kings are doing, there are differences in the Canucks puck possession style and say a team like Detroit's. The Detroit puck possession system generates high quality scoring chances with players going hard to the net, our system generates perimeter shots. It's two very different things, even though the systems are both "puck possession".

Against a good goalie, generating 50 perimeter shots is pretty much useless. You're going to get 1 goal every hundred of those types of chances, and that won't win you games. A good puck possession style holds onto the puck and moves it smartly while players go hard to the net, and then take the shot, instead of wasting bad shots from far out that have no chance of a goal unless they get a fluke deflection.

I don't in any way feel that a coach needs to yell or be emotional, he just needs to do something. AV watching the assistants do everything while other teams head coaches counter us, isn't my idea of a head coach that is doing HIS job. When we're struggling, the head coach should be the man to get the team focused and give them direction. I don't see that from AV.

As for "AV's" record. As a Canuck, Luongo has 224 wins, 114 losses, 41 OTL's.

AV's NON Luongo record was 43-34-4 , not even close to as good.

Luongo's otherworldly play won AV coach of the year, without amazing goaltending, AV does not get wins here. Other teams still win with mediocre tending, but whenever Luongo or backups have been just plain average, AV's "coaching" can't cope with that...

Archived