The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Didn't We Resign Torres?

PunPryde

Seriously... the guy was amazing last year in the playoffs. Clutch goals AND the best enforcer we had on the team. Raffi really would have came handy right about now against the King's forecheck. Should have tried harder to resign him imo.

Seriously... the guy was amazing last year in the playoffs. Clutch goals AND the best enforcer we had on the team. Raffi really would have came handy right about now against the King's forecheck. Should have tried harder to resign him imo.

Yup. I can rationalize a lot of moves that Gillis makes.

The Torres thing confuses me still. He was on a one year tryout contract and more than earned a two year extension. He didn't ask for too much more money. He was a playoff performer. He brought intangigibles that this team desperately needed and now needs again.

?????

Yup. I can rationalize a lot of moves that Gillis makes.

The Torres thing confuses me still. He was on a one year tryout contract and more than earned a two year extension. He didn't ask for too much more money. He was a playoff performer. He brought intangigibles that this team desperately needed and now needs again.

?????

It isn't confusing.

Torres wanted a multi-year contract and was already one of the most inconsistent players on the team. It was cool when he'd throw those giant hits, but it was too bad he went 10-12 games sometimes without doing it.

When a player is that streaky you don't give them a multi-year contract, especially one that probably overpaid him by a 250,000 cap hit.

On top of that, who knows how much money he was originally asking for? Maybe he settled for less out of fear he wouldn't get another offer.

Too many players are glorified after their gone. Torres once went 22 games without scoring a goal last year. When he was on, he was on, but unfortunately he wasn't on often enough to deserve the contract he wanted.

I think he deserved the 2 year contract, even though during the reg season he was pretty quiet, he at least brought it to the table when we needed it the most... the playoffs. Albeit inconsistent, that's still better than nothing at all which we are seeing right now, need some power in this team.

"Why didnt we resign Torres?"

Well he is only 30, most players keep playing after they reach 30 and dont choose to resign until they are older....we couldnt make him resign.....its his choice.....now re-signing im well, youll have to ask Mr.Gillis on that one

Archived