The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Didn't We Resign Torres?

PunPryde

I think he deserved the 2 year contract, even though during the reg season he was pretty quiet, he at least brought it to the table when we needed it the most... the playoffs. Albeit inconsistent, that's still better than nothing at all which we are seeing right now, need some power in this team.

Lapierre, arguably Torres' replacement, has (i think) 6 more fights than Torres had (none of which Torres won, according to hockeyfights), Lapierre had fewer points (19, compared to Torres 26), but 100 more hits.

Why would anyone choose Torres over Lapierre? Lapierre knows his role, and he's brilliant at it. Arguably one of the best. Torres was the 4th liner who thought he was a second liner.

Lapierre, arguably Torres' replacement, has (i think) 6 more fights than Torres had (none of which Torres won, according to hockeyfights), Lapierre had fewer points (19, compared to Torres 26), but 100 more hits.

Why would anyone choose Torres over Lapierre? Lapierre knows his role, and he's brilliant at it. Arguably one of the best. Torres was the 4th liner who thought he was a second liner.

I don't care much for the moves Gillis has made some moves that I thought would be pretty good but they ended up getting too defensive and this season in general has been not enough goal scoring gillis really should of picked up some scoring capability on the front end

Lapierre isn't Raffi's replacement. At the moment Kassian, Bitz, Ebbett and Weise are all playing where Torres would have been playing.

Our 4th line would be much better as Malhotra - Lapierre - Torres. Torres can hit, score and stands up for his teammates (whether he loses or not is irrelevant, like the outcome of most hockey fights unless it's a KO). The guy plays with so much emotion which in my opinion would do us wonders. I'm saying all of this assuming he toned down the ridiculous penalties and borderline hits a bit, but just a bit. Seabrook hit was clean.

Lapierre isn't Raffi's replacement. At the moment Kassian, Bitz, Ebbett and Weise are all playing where Torres would have been playing.

Our 4th line would be much better as Malhotra - Lapierre - Torres. Torres can hit, score and stands up for his teammates (whether he loses or not is irrelevant, like the outcome of most hockey fights unless it's a KO). The guy plays with so much emotion which in my opinion would do us wonders. I'm saying all of this assuming he toned down the ridiculous penalties and borderline hits a bit, but just a bit. Seabrook hit was clean.

Is it possible Torres is the single most overrated player in Canucks history?

Torres scored like 15 goals in the season, but I'm pretty sure he had like 5 multiple goal games. He went through periods of like 15-20 games of being COMPLETELY useless.

In the playoffs he scored 3 goals.

While he may have been the best enforcer on the team, that isn't a testament to his strength, but rather the weakness of the team.

The Canucks need top 6 strength, not firey 4th liners who contribute once every three weeks.

People must forget Torres was nearly out of hockey last year, and took a lowball offer from the Canucks to try to revive his career. He turned a so-so year into a 2-year contract at dollars that probably exceed what his contribution to the Canucks would have been. A no brainer not to match.

Eventually some of you people are going to have to realize players come and players go. You play with the ones you have. Quit worrying about what some guy does elsewhere. It has no relevance to anything.

During the WCF Torres laid a clean hit on Joe Thornton and destroyed Thornton's shoulder. That was huge for the Canucks. He's exactly the type of player the Canucks need.

The reason he wasn't re signed was because of $. Canucks didn't want to pay what Torres wanted.

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/hockey/comments/raffi_torres_hit_on_joe_thornton/

Archived