The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our Top 6 Is Not Robust Enough

Dogbyte

Man, have you actually watched Kassian play or are you just speculating based on what everybody HOPED he could do here? Kassian is NOT NHL ready. You would hope that you have a mentally tough player that can work through the "massive blow to his fragile young mind" lol

The problem is, we're not playing with our proper top-6.

This series, Hansen has been our 1st line winger. A 15 goal scorer. Raymond has been a 2nd line winger, another 15-goal-pace scorer.

Higgins has been stuck on our 3rd line because AV is a bonehead and would rather deplete our 2nd line of any offence than making this a 2-line-team. Daniel has been injured.

I try to support AV, but come playoff time, I can't find the reasons anymore. I don't care if he's a Jack Adams winner because the Jack Adams award is only for the REGULAR SEASON.

I don't like the system he plays in the playoffs, and honestly, when I watch a playoff game, I always find myself going "Whoa, that's genius!" or "Wow, seems like the coach has a good relationship with the players"...but always for the other team -_-.

Throughout the season, as I see AV calling out his players on the media, but rarely doing anything behind the bench, I've slowly lost respect for him.

This series, Sutter constantly interacts with his players, and you know what? It's made a difference. He has the ability to calm his players down or fire them up.

BOS series...well, I don't remember because after the Marchand issue this season I completely wiped Julien out of my memory.

NASH series. I think this one speaks volumes. I strongly believe that the Preds of old were vastly outmatched in terms of talent compared to the Canucks. In fact, I still think so. But being able to get more from a player by either changing his opposing matchup, his linemates, etc. really shows the skill of a coach. AV on the other hand? Seems like he gets LESS from his players by doing the same.

CHI series. I honestly think we could pull this one out of the hat with Joel Quenneville. AV? Not so much.

Looks like AV is listening.

Daniel Henrik Booth

Raymond Kesler Burrows

should provide more balance, I would prefer to see Kassian on second line but this is a step forward if Daniel is good to go.

I also get the feeling that Raymond is due for one of his lucky multi goal games.

Canucks are still missing a top 6 forward IMO but with daniel in the lineup the team looks so much deeper and more dangerous lines 1-4.

Here is an excellent article about the Flyer's rookies. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=628354.

6 rookies have played in the Flyer's 3 playoff games. 5 have played in all 3 games. Its not just Schenn and Couturier. Their coach played them lots from the beginning of the season so the kids would be ready for the playoffs. I'm sure most of them have made mistakes that led to goals against but that doesn't mean Laviolet parked them to the bench with 4 mins of ice.

The issue witht the top 6 is that there is too much of the same. Look at kings for example.

Brown - Forechecker hitter goes to net hard

Kopitar - Distrubuter and can score

Williams - Can shoot - Forecheck and goes to the net hard

Carter - Sniper

Richards - Set up guy, forechecker excellent 2 way player - goes to net hard

Gagne is missing but he is also a scorer and good passer

with him missing what does Sutter do? Plays a rookie on that line in Dwight King to add size and someone who is infront of the net to cause havoc.

Canucks first like is good

Henrik - Passer

Daniel - Scorer

Burrows - Forechecker, goes to the net but not the biggest part of his game (ideally a 2nd liner w/o sedins)

Kesler - Shooter good 2 way centre can score but can't pass much - Goes to the net

Booth - Shooter can score but can't pass much - Goes to the net... Sometimes (too much like kesler)

Higgins - Good at winning puck battles good forechecker can score and pass decently. (ideally a 3rd liner)

Biggest difference in other teams is they will balance their lines and PLAY THEIR ROOKIES.

Look at Nolan, King, Voynov for the kings. They are being played properly and given roles. Can anyone really tell me that Nolan and King are better than Kassian? If anything they are at PAR..

Kings can play these rookies, who are now getting better, and still be stingy defensively.

Canucks can't do that as well?

Smells like a coaching issue to me.

If Sutter was canucks coach I would not be surprised if we saw

Daniel - Henrik - Booth

Burrows - Kesler - Kassian

Our top 6 needs to stand up for each other, and themselves, more.

I know Henrik and Daniel are not the in your face kind of guys but when you don't stand up for yourself how can you expect someone else to do it. Burrows is a yapper, not a fighter. While the guy has heart what can you say about a hair puller and a biter. My daughter knows not to pull hair, close your fist and swing 'em if you're going to fight. Btw, she's 9. Burrows, in his defence, can't stand up for his entire line if he has no backup.

Kelser, Booth and Raymond wont do it either. Sure they face wash, but when other teams know thats the extent of retaliation it's not exactly a deterrent. On the whole, the top 6 is soft. It's exasperated when the PP isn't clicking. Thats the only weapon they have to back other teams down. They're no better prepared than the were 10 months ago in Boston.

Hopefully this will change next season. Kassian will be given a chance to stay in the top 6. lesser players are U/Rfa's that may not be here (Bitz, Volpatti(I hope he's back), Ebbet, Wiese). We have 10 forwards, 6 defenceman 3 RFA's (Raymond, Gragnani, Wiese)and minimum 9M to spend (including a back up goalie). Goalie debate for another day.

If we don't advance, AV will be coaching in Montreal next year. Hopefully, our next coach gives the kids a break.

Archived