The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Jordan Staal Unhappy In Pittsburgh

I don't know if this is considered a valid source, so take it for all it's worth (or lock this if the mods decide it isn't valid). Sorry if it's been posted already.

Earlier tonight Alan Robinson, one of the few Pittsburgh media members worth respecting tweeted this out:

Screen%20shot%202012-04-16%20at%2010.16.29%20PM.png

This could only be the beginning of the worst summer ever. But it isn't surprising.

Something has gone terribly wrong inside the Pens locker room.

Yikes.

You would think he'd want out since a first line calibre player is in a 3rd line center position.

But if one could dream of a roster for 2013-14...

Daniel - Henrik - Hartnell

Booth - Kesler - Staal

Higgins - Schroeder - Jensen

Burrows - Lapierre - Hansen

**drools**

Well, if this is indeed true maybe this is Calgary's opportunity to finally get that top young center that they've desperately needed for so long.

Here's a proposal I just came up with that may make sense for both teams. Pittsburgh gets a productive, experienced winger in Iginla who's usually good for 30+ goals a year and who has history playing with Crosby. Pittsburgh also dumps some much needed cap space to help sign players in the offseason for their own retooling. Calgary gains a gritty winger to help with scoring, which is obviously a problem that they're trying to address.

To Calgary:

Jordan Staal

Chris Kunitz or Zbynek Michalek

To Pittsburgh:

Jarome Iginla

2013 2nd Round Pick

Well, if this is indeed true maybe this is Calgary's opportunity to finally get that top young center that they've desperately needed for so long. Pittsburgh gets a productive, experienced winger in Iginla who's usually good for 30+ goals a year and who has history playing with Crosby. Here's a proposal I just came up with that may make sense for both teams.

To Calgary:

Jordan Staal

Chris Kunitz or Zbynek Michalek

To Pittsburgh:

Jarome Iginla

2013 2nd Round Pick

Great minds think alike. =P

Only problem is that Pittsburgh won't have enough cap space to take on Iginla's cap hit straight on, that's why I included one of Kunitz or Michalek. Kunitz is a lot more realistic of an inclusion in this trade because Pittsburgh's defense isn't that deep at the moment outside of Martin, Michalek and Letang IMO.

I think Calgary would be willing to give up a 2nd Round Pick if it means they can finally get that young centre they've been seeking for ages.

Jordan Staal had a PPG of 0.81 this year. That puts him as a top line centre on...

Anaheim (0.70 of Getzlaf)

Buffalo (0.55 of Roy)

Calgary (0.74 of Jokinen)

Colorado (0.68 of O'Reilly)

Columbus (0.55 of Brassard)

Florida (0.71 of Weiss)

Minnesota (0.80 of Koivu)

Montreal (0.74 of Desharnais)

Nashville (0.71 of Fisher)

NY Rangers (0.80 of Richards)

Phoenix (0.45 of Vermette)

St. Louis (0.66 of Backes)

Toronto (0.69 of Grabovski)

Winnipeg (0.62 of Little)

*positions taken from NHL.com so if a player is listed as a centre and he's not, not my fault)

Though his PPG is likely boosted by playing on the same team as Sid and Geno, I can understand why he's not content playing 3rd line minutes.

Would love if the Jets made a push for him. Little is just not skilled enough as a first line center.

However, I am not too keen on the price that it would take to get him. Likely Bogosian or Byfuglien + more. Doubt Enstrom would be the kind of defenseman they are looking for.

Jordan Staal had a PPG of 0.81 this year. That puts him as a top line centre on...

Anaheim (0.70 of Getzlaf)

Buffalo (0.55 of Roy)

Calgary (0.74 of Jokinen)

Colorado (0.68 of O'Reilly)

Columbus (0.55 of Brassard)

Florida (0.71 of Weiss)

Minnesota (0.80 of Koivu)

Montreal (0.74 of Desharnais)

Nashville (0.71 of Fisher)

NY Rangers (0.80 of Richards)

Phoenix (0.45 of Vermette)

St. Louis (0.66 of Backes)

Toronto (0.69 of Grabovski)

Winnipeg (0.62 of Little)

*positions taken from NHL.com so if a player is listed as a centre and he's not, not my fault)

Though his PPG is likely boosted by playing on the same team as Sid and Geno, I can understand why he's not content playing 3rd line minutes.

You would think he'd want out since a first line calibre player is in a 3rd line center position.

But if one could dream of a roster for 2013-14...

Daniel - Henrik - Hartnell

Booth - Kesler - Staal

Higgins - Schroeder - Jensen

Burrows - Lapierre - Hansen

**drools**

Archived