The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Questions Ignorant People Ask About God

Yes and if you were born and raised in any other part of the world, especially the Middle East and the rest of Asia, you'd be similarly believing in a different form of "God", and you'd be making up the same rationale to excuse such superstitious nonsense that you have no way whatsoever of proving. All it takes is truly challenging one's self introspectively to understand the lack of objectivity in any religion and their deities. I was baptised twice, I thoroughly believed this stuff growing up, then challenged my world view, not with a typical religious tendency of pre-emptive affirmation, nor this oft-mentioned "rebellious" attitude toward any specific deity (reiterating how many deities there are), but really considering the notion that my world view can very well be wrong and I could have been mislead growing up, just the same as Santa, Tooth Fairy, etc. For one reason or another you refuse to be objective, and the lack of cognitive reasoning will wind up being your problem in coping with more and more people moving past this religious nonsense.

Blah blah blah blah...tell me something new - please...use that grey matter boy.

You forget that I was technically an atheist for 42 years - you got nothing on me.

My eye is on the prize - you? You're running and looking at your feet.

Talk to me in 20 years when you have lived a little...

Collins: Why this scientist believes in God

POSTED: 1337 GMT (2137 HKT), April 6, 2007

By Dr. Francis Collins

Special to CNN

Adjust font size:

icon.minus.dim.gif

icon.plus.gif

Editor's note: Francis S. Collins, M.D., Ph.D., is the director of the Human Genome Project. His most recent book is "The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief."

ROCKVILLE, Maryland (CNN) -- I am a scientist and a believer, and I find no conflict between those world views.

As the director of the Human Genome Project, I have led a consortium of scientists to read out the 3.1 billion letters of the human genome, our own DNA instruction book. As a believer, I see DNA, the information molecule of all living things, as God's language, and the elegance and complexity of our own bodies and the rest of nature as a reflection of God's plan.

I did not always embrace these perspectives. As a graduate student in physical chemistry in the 1970s, I was an atheist, finding no reason to postulate the existence of any truths outside of mathematics, physics and chemistry. But then I went to medical school, and encountered life and death issues at the bedsides of my patients. Challenged by one of those patients, who asked "What do you believe, doctor?", I began searching for answers.

I had to admit that the science I loved so much was powerless to answer questions such as "What is the meaning of life?" "Why am I here?" "Why does mathematics work, anyway?" "If the universe had a beginning, who created it?" "Why are the physical constants in the universe so finely tuned to allow the possibility of complex life forms?" "Why do humans have a moral sense?" "What happens after we die?" (Watch Francis Collins discuss how he came to believe in God icon_video.gif)

I had always assumed that faith was based on purely emotional and irrational arguments, and was astounded to discover, initially in the writings of the Oxford scholar C.S. Lewis and subsequently from many other sources, that one could build a very strong case for the plausibility of the existence of God on purely rational grounds. My earlier atheist's assertion that "I know there is no God" emerged as the least defensible. As the British writer G.K. Chesterton famously remarked, "Atheism is the most daring of all dogmas, for it is the assertion of a universal negative."

But reason alone cannot prove the existence of God. Faith is reason plus revelation, and the revelation part requires one to think with the spirit as well as with the mind. You have to hear the music, not just read the notes on the page. Ultimately, a leap of faith is required.

For me, that leap came in my 27th year, after a search to learn more about God's character led me to the person of Jesus Christ. Here was a person with remarkably strong historical evidence of his life, who made astounding statements about loving your neighbor, and whose claims about being God's son seemed to demand a decision about whether he was deluded or the real thing. After resisting for nearly two years, I found it impossible to go on living in such a state of uncertainty, and I became a follower of Jesus.

So, some have asked, doesn't your brain explode? Can you both pursue an understanding of how life works using the tools of genetics and molecular biology, and worship a creator God? Aren't evolution and faith in God incompatible? Can a scientist believe in miracles like the resurrection?

Actually, I find no conflict here, and neither apparently do the 40 percent of working scientists who claim to be believers. Yes, evolution by descent from a common ancestor is clearly true. If there was any lingering doubt about the evidence from the fossil record, the study of DNA provides the strongest possible proof of our relatedness to all other living things.

But why couldn't this be God's plan for creation? True, this is incompatible with an ultra-literal interpretation of Genesis, but long before Darwin, there were many thoughtful interpreters like St. Augustine, who found it impossible to be exactly sure what the meaning of that amazing creation story was supposed to be. So attaching oneself to such literal interpretations in the face of compelling scientific evidence pointing to the ancient age of Earth and the relatedness of living things by evolution seems neither wise nor necessary for the believer.

I have found there is a wonderful harmony in the complementary truths of science and faith. The God of the Bible is also the God of the genome. God can be found in the cathedral or in the laboratory. By investigating God's majestic and awesome creation, science can actually be a means of worship.

Well seeing how the title of the thread is "Questions ignorant people ask about God".

I have a question that may be ignorant, then again maybe I am the one who's ignorant. Hopefully some of you in the know can help me out.

My question is regarding the bible story of Noah's Ark. The story as I know it is as follows. Noah hears God speaking to him (this part I can believe as lots of people claim God speaks to them) telling him he's not happy with the wicked ways of the people he recently liberated. Tells him there's a great flood coming and to build a giant ark to save the believers.

Oh yeah, you have to collect a male and female of every species on the planet. This is where I have a little trouble believing this. Where does a guy in the middle east find a polar bear, a kangaroo, a beaver? So anyway, he just did. How do you feed and care for all these animals? It's like running a floating zoo. How did he get the animals to behave? We all know cats and dogs don't always get along. I'd imagine pretty much the same for lions and chickens. Where did he house all the salt water fish/sharks/whales? Surely they couldn't survive in the fresh flood water. What did this ark smell like on the 39th day?

Ok, Ok he just did. How when all this was over did he get the male and female of each species to procreate? I guess he just did.

Could someone please explain this to me. Did this really happen? I ask this because if someone came up to me and told me this I would be inclined to be a tad skeptical. Then again that's just me. I tend to ask a lot of questions.

Well seeing how the title of the thread is "Questions ignorant people ask about God".

I have a question that may be ignorant, then again maybe I am the one who's ignorant. Hopefully some of you in the know can help me out.

My question is regarding the bible story of Noah's Ark. The story as I know it is as follows. Noah hears God speaking to him (this part I can believe as lots of people claim God speaks to them) telling him he's not happy with the wicked ways of the people he recently liberated. Tells him there's a great flood coming and to build a giant ark to save the believers.

Oh yeah, you have to collect a male and female of every species on the planet. This is where I have a little trouble believing this. Where does a guy in the middle east find a polar bear, a kangaroo, a beaver? So anyway, he just did. How do you feed and care for all these animals? It's like running a floating zoo. How did he get the animals to behave? We all know cats and dogs don't always get a long. I'd imagine pretty much the same for lions and chickens. Where did he house all the salt water fish/sharks/whales? Surely they couldn't survive in the fresh flood water. What did this ark smell like on the 39th day?

Ok, Ok he just did. How when all this was over did he get the male and female of each species to procreate? I guess he just did.

Could someone please explain this to me. Did this really happen? I ask this because if someone came up to me and told me this I would be inclined to be a tad skeptical. Then again that's just me. I tend to ask a lot of questions.

Oh yeah, you have to collect a male and female of every species on the planet. This is where I have a little trouble believing this. Where does a guy in the middle east find a polar bear, a kangaroo, a beaver? So anyway, he just did. How do you feed and care for all these animals? It's like running a floating zoo. How did he get the animals to behave? We all know cats and dogs don't always get along. I'd imagine pretty much the same for lions and chickens. Where did he house all the salt water fish/sharks/whales? Surely they couldn't survive in the fresh flood water. What did this ark smell like on the 39th day?

we do not know any of these things , YOU just believe them to be true .and christians believe that god made man in his image .

I'll throw a pie in the face of piety

I'll torch a torah right of a bridge

i am a reverend of irreverence

I'm a shill for any sacrillege

i understand that faith in a diety

helps the masses who are having hard times

but blasphemy like prostitution are clearly victimless crimes

blasphemy , blasphe-you , jesus christ he was a jew

blasphe-you blasphemy , poisonous pedagogy

i am a unbeliever , i am a heretic

I'm gonna projectile puke of a pew

I,m a trouble making immature imp