The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Questions Ignorant People Ask About God

But once again, the Quran provides nothing more in the way of backing those assertions up than do the Bible, Torah, Bhagavad Ghita, Book of Mormon, etc. for their often mutually-exclusive attributions of qualities to deities. Why do you believe in the Quran's assertions and dismiss the others that have just as much faith and conviction behind them?

True that. But it is still silly to think that Allah is a pink elephant. If in Hinduism there is room to believe that a God can be a pink elephant then okay - but at least in the case of Islam it's not possible.

And that's a good question but to answer it simply: I like the Islam the best and I feel it's solid enough for me to believe in. I obviously need faith to believe in it, but the Oneness of God amongst other aspects make sense to me. I believe in the Gospels, Torah, and Bible to an extent but the the Qur'an takes superiority.

Perhaps I dismiss Hinduism and Catholicism + others for the same reason you do though.

If you want to believe in god go right ahead, if you want to believe in a big bang good for you. Everyone needs to learn to respect people's opinions alright since we obviously cant have a discussion on this matter without verbally assaulting eachother...

Isn't the god thread what got 'SharpShooter' kicked off CDC?

I mean live morally and contribute to humanity and life on earth. Believe with your heart whatever you wish, just don't expect to go 'converting' people to your own beliefs. And don't mouth off or call folks with differing views a-holes and dimwits.

Not adressed at anyone in particular, more to the entire site.

If you want to believe in god go right ahead, if you want to believe in a big bang good for you. Everyone needs to learn to respect people's opinions alright since we obviously cant have a discussion on this matter without verbally assaulting eachother...

Isn't the god thread what got 'SharpShooter' kicked off CDC?

I mean live morally and contribute to humanity and life on earth. Believe with your heart whatever you wish, just don't expect to go 'converting' people to your own beliefs. And don't mouth off or call folks with differing views a-holes and dimwits.

Not adressed at anyone in particular, more to the entire site.

timothy keller is a wise and compassionate person and even though i do not believe in what he believe's i respect the man and his atitude towards others who do not share his beliefs . i wish there were more people who would actually empathise with others , as tim said to actually stand in the other persons shoe's and try to view things from their point of view .unfortunately it seems that not many people can achieve this state of philisophical detachment.

Well, I would argue that Timothy Keller is advocating the very opposite of philosophical detachment in human interaction. To him, loving others, including his enemies, and attempting to empathsize and relate to others is a very central part of his philosophy.

Its a foreign attitude to me, and certainly something I need to develop.

I'm inclined to think that a certain portion of humans are hardwired to be highly susceptible for belief in the supernatural regardless of social pressures. When presented with questions in which humanity is ignorant of the answer, people in every society on Earth throughout history have invoked the supernatural as an explanation. It's a natural adaptive strategy to cope with the unknown, and I can't see it ever going away.

I definitely agree that this is where belief in a creator arose but I would have to postulate that it is not something that will live forever in the mainstream of life. This is dependent on the condition that we do not lapse in our knowledge today but only keep pushing further. As more and more of these unanswerable questions are answered the reasoning for a deity becomes less and less.

I don't think it's a solid argument to point to historical figures and their belief in a God and say " look at those intelligent people that believed in a creator, therefor my belief if also justified." They lived in an era where a vast majority of the truths as I will call them remained shrouded. Most of the great scientific minds of the recent past have held an atheist view of life. (ie Dawkins, Einstein, Hawking to throw out the household names.) As more information becomes known then there is much less need for the "God must have done it" reasoning.

This I also have to agree with, it has been noted that religious folks often live longer because they remain in such an active community of their peers. This makes perfect sense as we are a social animal and need interaction with other animals. That said when I see the kind of bonds people form because they root for the same sports team, or grew up in towns 8 municipalities apart, or hell even because they were wearing the same shirt; I fail to believe that this is a quality that is held only by religion. People will always find ways to connect with each other and I really don't think religion should the premier way of going about that.

The main reason I'm arguing against this is because I think holding a belief in a creator is a hinderance to the true majesty of the world. When looked at from a biological stand point, the very fact that you exist in the world around you is the greatest miracle that will ever happen to you.

Continued form that, the idea that you only have one chance to go through makes it a lot more precious than the idea you float up into the clouds to go about your days playing pool with Jesus.

Then if you look at the true scale of the universe and appreciate what that means it seems inexplicably difficult to worry about all the trivial differences we fight about on a daily basis.

Lastly and most importantly it takes the onus off us as individuals. If there is a god then you are always propped up by him, there is always someone to fall back on. Well that maybe a comforting feeling it is not an auspicious one. As taken from Coach Carter which I believe was taken from a text making my opposite point, " Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, it is that we are powerful beyond measure" Without God there is no one to attribute our successes and our failures to, it is solely upon us as a species to take all that we have been given and do something incredible. We are the masters of our destiny and with that comes an immense responsibility. That I think is a truly empowering idea.

This I also have to agree with, it has been noted that religious folks often live longer because they remain in such an active community of their peers. This makes perfect sense as we are a social animal and need interaction with other animals. That said when I see the kind of bonds people form because they root for the same sports team, or grew up in towns 8 municipalities apart, or hell even because they were wearing the same shirt; I fail to believe that this is a quality that is held only by religion. People will always find ways to connect with each other and I really don't think religion should the premier way of going about that.

The main reason I'm arguing against this is because I think holding a belief in a creator is a hinderance to the true majesty of the world. When looked at from a biological stand point, the very fact that you exist in the world around you is the greatest miracle that will ever happen to you.

Continued form that, the idea that you only have one chance to go through makes it a lot more precious than the idea you float up into the clouds to go about your days playing pool with Jesus.

Then if you look at the true scale of the universe and appreciate what that means it seems inexplicably difficult to worry about all the trivial differences we fight about on a daily basis.

Lastly and most importantly it takes the onus off us as individuals. If there is a god then you are always propped up by him, there is always someone to fall back on. Well that maybe a comforting feeling it is not an auspicious one. As taken from Coach Carter which I believe was taken from a text making my opposite point, " Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, it is that we are powerful beyond measure" Without God there is no one to attribute our successes and our failures to, it is solely upon us as a species to take all that we have been given and do something incredible. We are the masters of our destiny and with that comes an immense responsibility. That I think is a truly empowering idea.

Don't get me wrong. I don't believe in God, myself. I just didn't think it was fair for the poster I quoted to chalk all of religious belief to societal pressures when what makes people believe is a lot more complex than that. I still uphold that even if religiosity may wane as we further understand our universe, it won't completely disappear. The emotional need to ascribe deeper meaning to life is still going to lead people towards religion. The beautiful, mind-bendingly complex nature of the universe is still going to lead to the emotional conclusion that it has to have been created. The fear of death will still lead some to cope with it by imagining an afterlife. The existence of a deity is not a necessary conclusion to reach in dealing with those problems for you or I, but for some people it absolutely would be a part of them no matter how far science advances.

Great post, though. I completely agree that for me, life is most precious and profound if you only have one life to live and only you are responsible for it.

I think we should wonder why it is not a necessary conclusion in the first place. I agree with you that religion won't completely disappear, nor do I think it should. However, I'd wager as humans become more informed - think literacy historically, but with science - that necessity will diminish across the board. Most people won't check the closet after dark as they did as children, but there are some that do. Those will be the religious people. Most people simply won't entertain the thought long enough to try to compromise all the science with all the bull in a given holy text.

Archived