The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Questions Ignorant People Ask About God

We have much much less violence now than we did in the 1950's. Violent crime is at all time lows in most of the developed world. You don't think they had drugs? How about booze, how about drunk drivers everywhere. You seriously don't think people were safe to leave their doors open and walk the streets of big citys late at night? You don't think kids killed each other in the 1950s?

True, and the battle will never end :P

...Didn't want this thread to be what it has become, was more of a read and realize thing, but guess not. And yea, I don't care if you don't believe in God or not, just dislike when people use ignorant logic and it was kinda the moral of my original post. We all got our views and beliefs, so let it be.

i was raised in a fiercely Catholic household. when i was around 13 i started thinking for myself and came to the conclusion that religion was not something i needed in my life. this was because:

a- i happened to be a catholic because my parents raised me as one, and their parents raised them as one. if i had been born anywhere else in the world, or to different parents, odds are i wouldn't have been a catholic. why would i continue believing in a religion that i had only became a part of by chance?

b- i had no idea if the things i was hearing in church and from my family and stuff were true. and NEITHER DOES ANYONE ELSE. everyone is guessing, based on the way they were raised, or their surroundings, or whatever. people have a vague "feeling" or "faith" or whatever, but really, everyone is just trying to convince themselves that there is life after death to give meaning to their lives and make themselves feel better. i don't need to worship a god that probably doesn't exist to feel better.

if i was born with no sense of sight, hearing or touch, i would have never heard about the concept of a god. if i was born and left alone on an island for my whole life, i probably would have never developed the concept of a god. i have the idea in my head of a god because people have told me about a god that THEY use to make themselves feel better. i don't think there is a supreme being who created the universe, and it confuses and annoys me that so many people jump to the conclusion that there is a god just because someone else told them there is one.

so OP, don't call me ignorant. i am the exact opposite of that, i think and learn about this stuff all day.

Holy roller, lookin' down

Where you think you know

All the answers

Arrogance and pride....are sin

Better look to your own chances

Holy roller can you save your own soul

Can you save your own soul

Holy roller

Standin' up for Jesus

That's your thingBut you're standin' on peoples hearts

Charity is a virtueTo be praised

Better get back on... Jesus' track

Holy roller, practice what you preach

Heaven, it's still within your reach

Holy roller, don't you judge

What you yhink is goin' wrong

17th Century - First Appearance of Atheism (circa 1650-)

17th Century History

« Back to History

The first undoubted documents of philosophical atheism (following the narrower, modern definition) appear at the earliest in the mid to late seventeenth century. At some time around 1650 an anonymous manuscript appeared (probably in France) entitledTheophrastus redivivus which appears to be the oldest extant atheistic document; in the last quarter of the same century another anonymous manuscript, the Symbolum sapientiae was in circulation.

These

clandestine manuscripts were for the most part written by hand or sometimes printed illegally.[1] Some of them - such as the Symbolum sapientiae - are solidly argued and often had an important influence on later public atheists. However, these documents at first remained unknown to the broader public. At the time of their first appearance they were read by a very small number of people. In general, there was a great deal of talk about atheism on the part of religious apologists, but no genuine atheists were known to them.[2]

In the middle of the seventeenth century it was still assumed that it was impossible not to believe in God. The evidence for God from

design and from the ubiquity of belief seemed so clear it was thought atheists were necessarily atheist against the evidence. At this stage atheism - if it were even admitted to exist - was still seen as an illness or a result of a perverse will, since it was not apparent how such a view could be held rationally.[3] Such early modern apologists had nothing to do with atheism in the strict sense.

By the end of the century, however, the situation had dramatically changed. Pierre Bayle (1647-1706) - though he did not describe himself as an atheist - had raised the possibility of a

virtuous society of atheists, and for the first time real atheists could be named; the appearance of the avowed atheist Matthias Knutzen (1646-?) in Europe, for example, provided the first inklings of what was to come.[4]

17th Century - First Appearance of Atheism (circa 1650-)

17th Century History

« Back to History

The first undoubted documents of philosophical atheism (following the narrower, modern definition) appear at the earliest in the mid to late seventeenth century. At some time around 1650 an anonymous manuscript appeared (probably in France) entitledTheophrastus redivivus which appears to be the oldest extant atheistic document; in the last quarter of the same century another anonymous manuscript, the Symbolum sapientiae was in circulation.

These

clandestine manuscripts were for the most part written by hand or sometimes printed illegally.[1] Some of them - such as the Symbolum sapientiae - are solidly argued and often had an important influence on later public atheists. However, these documents at first remained unknown to the broader public. At the time of their first appearance they were read by a very small number of people. In general, there was a great deal of talk about atheism on the part of religious apologists, but no genuine atheists were known to them.[2]

In the middle of the seventeenth century it was still assumed that it was impossible not to believe in God. The evidence for God from

design and from the ubiquity of belief seemed so clear it was thought atheists were necessarily atheist against the evidence. At this stage atheism - if it were even admitted to exist - was still seen as an illness or a result of a perverse will, since it was not apparent how such a view could be held rationally.[3] Such early modern apologists had nothing to do with atheism in the strict sense.

By the end of the century, however, the situation had dramatically changed. Pierre Bayle (1647-1706) - though he did not describe himself as an atheist - had raised the possibility of a

virtuous society of atheists, and for the first time real atheists could be named; the appearance of the avowed atheist Matthias Knutzen (1646-?) in Europe, for example, provided the first inklings of what was to come.[4]

2000 years?

Humans have been around longer - and after "2000" years as you put it - and after all the removal of God from schools the last 50 years - look at how messed up we are now compared to say in 1950?

As Dr. Phil says "how's that working out for you so far"?

Archived