The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Questions Ignorant People Ask About God

Troll #1: Quick do something, people are going to start talking about something real. Maybe they'll figure out that they are as the human race getting screwed daily by a handful of rich people!

Troll#2: Okay! Got it! I'm going to post something attacking atheists. Attack me back and we'll start a big E-war. Everyone will be so consumed with anger for each other that they'll forget about the giant !@#$ up their @$%'s.

Troll#1: Brilliant! To think they STILL haven't figured it out!

Troll#1 & Troll#2 together: Hahahahahaahahahhaahah!

Somehow or other an extraordinary idea has arisen that the disbelievers in miracles consider them coldly and fairly, while believers in miracles accept them only in connection with some dogma. The fact is quite the other way. The believers in miracles accept them (rightly or wrongly) because they have evidence for them. The disbelievers in miracles deny them (rightly or wrongly) because they have a doctrine against them. The open, obvious, democratic thing is to believe an old apple-woman when she bears testimony to a miracle, just as you believe an old apple-woman when she bears testimony to a murder … If it comes to human testimony there is a choking cataract of human testimony in favour of the supernatural. If you reject it, you can only mean one of two things … you either deny the main principle of democracy, or you affirm the main principle of materialism — the abstract impossibility of miracle. You have a perfect right to do so; but in that case you are the dogmatist. It is we Christians who accept all actual evidence — it is you rationalists who refuse actual evidence being constrained to do so by your creed. But I am not constrained by any creed in the matter, and looking impartially into certain miracles of mediaeval and modern times, I have come to the conclusion that they occurred. All argument against these plain facts is always argument in a circle. If I say, “Mediaeval documents attest certain miracles as much as they attest certain battles,” they answer, “But mediaevals were superstitious”; if I want to know in what they were superstitious, the only ultimate answer is that they believed in the miracles … - G.K. Chesterton

So if I told you that I saw the Flying Spaghetti Monster, you'd do the "open, obvious, democratic thing" and believe that miracle?

Anecdotal evidence is not real evidence. If you claim you saw something that's implausible at best and physically impossible at worst, you'd better have something a lot better than eyewitness testimony to back it up.

Reputation for miracles and clairvoyance

Devotees said they observed Sathya Sai Baba manifesting vibhuti (holy ash), and sometimes food and small objects such as rings, necklaces and watches.[124]

In books, magazines, filmed interviews and articles, Sathya Sai Baba's followers reported miracles of various kinds that they attributed to him.[125] Internationally, devotees reported that vibhuti, kumkum, turmeric powder, holy water, Shiva lingas, statues of deities (brass and gold), sugar candy, fruits, herbs, amrita (a fragrant, nectar-like honey), gems, colored string, writings in ash and various other substances spontaneously manifested and materialized on the walls, furniture, pictures and altars of Sathya Sai Baba.[126][126][127][128][129] Sathya Sai Baba's devotees also believed that he relieved them from pain, by transferring it to himself.[130]

The first ever record of Baba's miracles by a foreigner was made by Howard Murphet in his 1971 book, Sai Baba – Man Of Miracles.[131] The retired Icelandic psychology professor Erlendur Haraldsson wrote in 1997 that he did not obtain Sathya Sai Baba's permission to study him under controlled circumstances, but that he investigated the guru's alleged miracles and manifestations through interviews with devotees and ex-devotees.[132] Some of the reported miracles included levitation (both indoors and outdoors), bilocation, physical disappearances, changing granite into sugar candy, changing water into another drink, changing water into gasoline, producing objects on demand, changing the color of his gown while wearing it, multiplying food, healing acute and chronic diseases, appearing in visions and dreams, making different fruits appear on any tree hanging from actual stems, controlling the weather, physically transforming into various deities and physically emitting brilliant light.[133] Haraldsson wrote that the largest allegedly materialized object that he saw was a mangalsutra necklace, 32 inches long, 16 inches long on each side.[134] He stated that some miracles attributed to Sathya Sai Baba resembled the ones described in the New Testament, but that although healings certainly figured in Sai Baba's reputation, healings did not play as prominent a role in Sathya Sai Baba's activities as in those of Jesus.[135]

Sathya Sai Baba explained the phenomenon of manifestation as being an act of divine creation, but refused to have his materializations investigated under experimental conditions. In a 1974 discourse, he stated, "The optical sense cannot visualize the truth. It gives only false and fogged information. For example, there are many who observe my actions and start declaring that my nature is such and such."[136] He said of his "miracles", "those who profess to have understood me, the scholars, the yogis, the pundits, the jnanis, all of them are aware only of the least important, the casual external manifestation of an infinitesimal part of that power, namely, the "miracles"! This has been the case in all ages. People may be very near [physically] to the Avathar, but they live out their lives unaware of their fortune; they exaggerate the role of miracles, which are as trivial, when compared to my glory and majesty, as a mosquito is in size and strength to the elephant upon which it squats. Therefore, when you speak about these 'miracles,' I laugh within myself out of pity that you allow yourself so easily to lose the precious awareness of my reality."[136]

:bigblush:

I didn't go after anyone...Actually bud, I was 'went after' for my commments that "had nothing to do with the thread".

Do you not see how the perpetual believer vs atheist war keeps the little guy little and the handful big?

It was my comment on the thread. Instead of attacking me personally, I would suggest reporting my post.

Reputation for miracles and clairvoyance

Devotees said they observed Sathya Sai Baba manifesting vibhuti (holy ash), and sometimes food and small objects such as rings, necklaces and watches.[124]

In books, magazines, filmed interviews and articles, Sathya Sai Baba's followers reported miracles of various kinds that they attributed to him.[125] Internationally, devotees reported that vibhuti, kumkum, turmeric powder, holy water, Shiva lingas, statues of deities (brass and gold), sugar candy, fruits, herbs, amrita (a fragrant, nectar-like honey), gems, colored string, writings in ash and various other substances spontaneously manifested and materialized on the walls, furniture, pictures and altars of Sathya Sai Baba.[126][126][127][128][129] Sathya Sai Baba's devotees also believed that he relieved them from pain, by transferring it to himself.[130]

The first ever record of Baba's miracles by a foreigner was made by Howard Murphet in his 1971 book, Sai Baba – Man Of Miracles.[131] The retired Icelandic psychology professor Erlendur Haraldsson wrote in 1997 that he did not obtain Sathya Sai Baba's permission to study him under controlled circumstances, but that he investigated the guru's alleged miracles and manifestations through interviews with devotees and ex-devotees.[132] Some of the reported miracles included levitation (both indoors and outdoors), bilocation, physical disappearances, changing granite into sugar candy, changing water into another drink, changing water into gasoline, producing objects on demand, changing the color of his gown while wearing it, multiplying food, healing acute and chronic diseases, appearing in visions and dreams, making different fruits appear on any tree hanging from actual stems, controlling the weather, physically transforming into various deities and physically emitting brilliant light.[133] Haraldsson wrote that the largest allegedly materialized object that he saw was a mangalsutra necklace, 32 inches long, 16 inches long on each side.[134] He stated that some miracles attributed to Sathya Sai Baba resembled the ones described in the New Testament, but that although healings certainly figured in Sai Baba's reputation, healings did not play as prominent a role in Sathya Sai Baba's activities as in those of Jesus.[135]

Sathya Sai Baba explained the phenomenon of manifestation as being an act of divine creation, but refused to have his materializations investigated under experimental conditions. In a 1974 discourse, he stated, "The optical sense cannot visualize the truth. It gives only false and fogged information. For example, there are many who observe my actions and start declaring that my nature is such and such."[136] He said of his "miracles", "those who profess to have understood me, the scholars, the yogis, the pundits, the jnanis, all of them are aware only of the least important, the casual external manifestation of an infinitesimal part of that power, namely, the "miracles"! This has been the case in all ages. People may be very near [physically] to the Avathar, but they live out their lives unaware of their fortune; they exaggerate the role of miracles, which are as trivial, when compared to my glory and majesty, as a mosquito is in size and strength to the elephant upon which it squats. Therefore, when you speak about these 'miracles,' I laugh within myself out of pity that you allow yourself so easily to lose the precious awareness of my reality."[136]

:bigblush:

Your life is no longer yours neither - so what?

Evolution gave you your life - you didn't self create.

What is faith?

In John 12:37, "Even after Jesus had done all these miraculous signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him.", then 2 verses later it says " For this reason they could not believe" - In other words, they made a decision of the will to deny the message of miracles..the evidence that Jesus is God.....because they wouldn't pay the price....

Faith, at it's core, is a decision of the will that we keep on making, but we are given that option by God's grace...

It's a choice we must make without having all the complete information we'd like to have.

Otherwise, what we would have is knowledge, not faith.

Here's an example...

Suppose I reach into my pocket, pull it out with something in it and hold it under my fist...

I say to you, "I'm holding something in my fist - Do you know what it is?"

And you, being logical say " a coin?"

I say, "but you don't know for sure...that's just your opinion..."

Our faith is not just our opinion...

Let me tell you, "I have a quarter in my hand...Do you believe that?"

And you say..."sure...ok"

I'm telling you that it's true, but you haven't seen it.

That's faith.

Hebrews says faith is the evidence of things not seen.

Now, let me shatter your faith, I open my hand and reveal the quarter.

Now it is no longer faith - it is just knowledge......

Some people think that faith is knowing something beyond any doubt whatsoever, and so they try to prove faith by empirical evidence...but that's the wrong approach...

You can see and touch that coin, so you don't need faith....

God, for his own reasons, has not subjected himself to that kind of proof....

Instead, you must use corroborative evidence that point convincingly toward God - and that is important for it leaves room for us to take a step of faith in the same direction that the evidence is pointing....

This is what passes for logical in that head of yours? :sadno:

No, that's not faith. That's taking someone at their word. Like taking a preacher at his word. Your post is good, in showing precisely the opposite of what you want.

Being logical, I say "I don't know, could be a coin, could be keys, could be a phone." Oh wait, your garbage copypasta starts off with a false premise... But okay, let's pretend it doesn't and logically I say "coin".

"But you don't know for sure... that's just your opinion..."

Well, it is my opinion insofar as I say "I think it's a coin", it becomes faith when I insist it's a coin, despite you telling me it could be keys, phone, candy, condoms, etc.

Did someone tell you "there is a god", and you said "sure...ok"?

Nice...no need for name calling or put downs...just like your response to my you tube video.

Yes - that is the definition of faith when it come to religion. Not the derogatory "blind" faith as Stephan posted.

Did someone tell me there is a God? No - I figured that out by myself.

Are you really obnoxious and ignorant or did someone just tell you act like it?

On faith, I believe you're not, but the evidence in your posts suggests otherwise.

haha yea and lol@ the swift reaction my initial post got. It's like politicians...they fight tooth and nail with each other until some one threatens their little game and then they all gang up on the source of the threat.

Like clockwork.

My initial post was relevant to the thread. IMO the atheist/religious war is perpetuated by the media. The media is owned by the people who would rather have the masses at each other's throats as opposed to their own.

Sorry for shedding some light on the situation. If I knew it would make you so mad I wouldn't have said anything.

Geez, all you had to do was say so! Sigh...

Archived