The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden For Gm

VanNuck

Wow. There is just no pleasing the fans here. We want our GM to be more loyal/compassionate but we yell that he keeps someone for compassion saying it's hurting the team. We demand that he put together a team that relates to the fans but yell that we pay too much for a BC boy. We demand that they win the Stanley Cup but we have one of the quietest buildings in the league. We say we need a coach and GM who supports our players yet the fans are the first ones to turn on them in a drop of a dime. We listen to the media and use their influence as a basis for our hockey knowledge believing in rumours that are not even verified and believe it as fact. We complain about every single coach, player, goalie and GM we have ever had even when we statistically have the best team this franchise has ever iced. We have two top end goalies and instead of appreciating it, we choose one and unreasonably hate on the other.

People even wanted Linden gone from the team during his last couple years here saying he was no longer useful to the team and that we were being to sentimental and it was hurting the team.

I've lived all across Canada and as a group of fans, I have never met such an entitled bunch as the ones here in Vancouver.

No he has no gm experience as far as I know.

If you're gonna vouch for linden then I rather bure since he's been a gm and had success. That being said y would he want to live in Vancouver after every thing

Linden has had about as much experience as Mike Gillis when he was hired on. The main thing you need to know about being a GM is to be a leader, a team-builder, and a negotiator. Linden has had proven experience with the first and third aspect, the second one is relatively easy to pick up if you already have the other two.

Everyone says he's not intereested in coming back to the Canucks, for whatever reason. It's not that I don't accept that - but as long as he's not with Canucks, the team is falling apart.

Do people hate Vancouver just because the team is so successful? Oh yes, Wayne Gretzky and his Oilers were the most hateful villians ever, dominating everyone, people just loved to see them fall on their face... How about Yzerman and his Wings, now they're a team to turn green over, hogging the Cup a lot... No, they hate Canucks because the players had resorted to playing dirty to win (they say it's like there is a pack of Claude Lemieuxs on the team). For what it's worth, they've never shown any real guts to win - otherwise, they easily could have won the Cup by now. This is the antithesis of the character team Gillis talked about building.

Edit: Oh and we aren't dirty, Classless, disrespectful, exc. We are actually one of the more classy & respectful teams.

People just hate those who win and are successful, that's just the way it is. Nothing secluded to us and adding Linden as our GM wouldn't change that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCGe4MZkuSA

Tell me if you think Weise is a winnerfor refusing to fight (aka, do his job).

Edit: Oh and we aren't dirty, Classless, disrespectful, exc. We are actually one of the more classy & respectful teams.

Pretty much the whole rest of the hockey world disagrees with you I'm afraid. Bert/Moore, Burrows' biting and hair pulling, Kesler's incessant diving, the constant whining from the GM on down, the Rypien "memorial" controversy, the riot where at least 60% of the participants were wearing Canucks merch... The list is almost endless.

Oh, and it sure seems that Trevor has distanced himself from this ownership group as much as he can without actually publicly criticising it. Methinks it's the Aquillini's. Maybe he has tried to do real estate business with them (where they have a chequered history apparently).

Pretty much the whole rest of the hockey world disagrees with you I'm afraid. Bert/Moore, Burrows' biting and hair pulling, Kesler's incessant diving, the constant whining from the GM on down, the riot where at least 60% of the participants were wearing Canucks merch... The list is almost endless.

Every team has that stuff. Just to use Boston as an example.

Savard's biting, Ference flipping off the crowd, Boston Rioting, Everyone Diving, Marchand sloughfooting, Bias commentators, overly cocky fans, not showing respect off the ice (In scrums), exc.

Our team actually shows respect, everyone calls us dirty yet our team is full of respectful europeans. This era of the team isn't all that dirty or classless at all, we barley get suspended, we don't go for dirty hits, we show respect for opponents. We are just unfairly labelled. I'm fine with it as we will never shake that label but it's the truth we aren't nearly as dirty, and cheap, and cocky, exc. as some think.

Just because Trevor was a great hockey player and leader does not make him a candidate for the role as GM. He does not have the skills in contract law, agency law, and accounting that are required for the job. Yes, people like the guy, but it still does not mean they will sign with him.

I understand Trevor played a pivotal role in the 2004 bargaining process, but before you go and give him the GM role, should he not at least have some experience as an assistant first.

This thread makes no sense to me.

Tell us why. There is nothing worse than just making statements without backing up your point.

Gillis has done a fine job as GM, and as someone said, there will have to be major disappointment before he loses his job. Well, I can give you this disappointment: should we fail to make the SCF this year - yea, we could even fall out of the playoffs in this first round the way things are going. This season, the fans want nothing less than total victory and if they don't get it, more people will call out Gillis and expect him to have the boot.

I can point to a number of controversial moves that Gillis made that most fans disagree with - the only thing that will change their minds is a Stanley Cup.

Dealing away Hodgson - the trading of our future

Trading for Ballard - at best, an overpayment for a good defenseman (gave up the high potential Michael Grabner), at worst a total bust

Giving up Mitchell - Mitchell was still valuable, even despite his concussion, plus he brought irreplaceable intangibles

Not repairing rift with Linden - Linden, in the eyes of the fans, is the Vancouver Canucks itself. Bad for PR not to bring him back in some capacity.

Not sure those are all strong points.

The Hodgson trade may actually turn out to be the better trade for the Canucks.

Ballard has been a good D and has been our best this year. Gillis can't control how AV plays him.

Can't remember the situation around Mitchell but didn't he want more than we were willing to give as we didn't know how the concussion would pan out?

Yes the Linden thing could be done but it's not Gillis' call and he needs to focus on the team now- not the team that was.

Yeah great idea, make Linden GM. With the witch-burning mob of a fan base that the canucks have? So when we lose 3 games in a row the whole canucks fan base will forget everything he did for our team and want his head on a pike. Especially the younger fans who wont have the same appreciation for Linden most of us have.

I hate Linden fans. Most unrealistic people ever. The guy was a decent player and great off the ice. Nothing more.

Don't forget that he is one bad mother "SHUT YO MOUTH!"

Im just talkin bout plays-with-busted-ribs, bodychecks dudes thru glass, capn canuck, Trevor Linden.

I also heard he killed hitler.

Our team actually shows respect, everyone calls us dirty yet our team is full of respectful europeans. This era of the team isn't all that dirty or classless at all, we barley get suspended, we don't go for dirty hits, we show respect for opponents. We are just unfairly labelled. I'm fine with it as we will never shake that label but it's the truth we aren't nearly as dirty, and cheap, and cocky, exc. as some think.

If certain players aren't dirty, those respectful Europeans aren't really built for war. Specifically, Henrik was disappointing as a leader - he is well spoken and all, but he doesn't have the fire-in-the-belly determination to win, otherwise, he and his brother wouldn't be intimidated by the likes of Marchant and Bolland, and henceforth, would've actually put pucks in the net in the final round. Coupled with the likes of Burrows and Lappierre, it only makes them look worse.

Not sure those are all strong points.

The Hodgson trade may actually turn out to be the better trade for the Canucks.

Ballard has been a good D and has been our best this year. Gillis can't control how AV plays him.

Can't remember the situation around Mitchell but didn't he want more than we were willing to give as we didn't know how the concussion would pan out?

Yes the Linden thing could be done but it's not Gillis' call and he needs to focus on the team now- not the team that was.

Well, surprisingly this trade is turning out well. Didn't really expect this, but even then, one can't help but feel the axe-above-you, what if something were to happen to cause another rift with Kassian and they trade him?

Okay, well now the Ballard matter is turning around - well after the moment was gone (in 2011). Again, there's no guarantee he and AV have sealed up their rift. Even then, I wouldn't have made that trade - it was a steep overpayment. I rather would have kept Mitchell and Bieksa and sign Hamhuis.

On Linden, it always pays to keep positive standing with your team's most important players in history. Rocky Wirtz understood that - when taking over the Hawks, he repaired the franchise's relationships with Bobby Hull and appointed him ambassador.

So really, Gillis is turning out to be hockey's John Cummins, rebuilding the ship only to sink it. That's why I still rest my case that Linden should take over. Or perhaps Smyl, as someone else suggested, for his in-house experience.

If certain players aren't dirty, those respectful Europeans aren't really built for war. Specifically, Henrik was disappointing as a leader - he is well spoken and all, but he doesn't have the fire-in-the-belly determination to win, otherwise, he and his brother wouldn't be intimidated by the likes of Marchant and Bolland, and henceforth, would've actually put pucks in the net in the final round. Coupled with the likes of Burrows and Lappierre, it only makes them look worse.

Wait hold on a second...

So you want to change our GM because we are cheap, dirty, classless, disrespectful, exc. And then I present the notion that we actually aren't any of those things, and that we actually are quite classy, respectful, exc.

But then you respond by saying we can't win by being all those things. Which contradicts your original argument.

So what is your actual stance here? :blink:

Wait hold on a second...

So you want to change our GM because we are cheap, dirty, classless, disrespectful, exc. And then I present the notion that we actually aren't any of those things, and that we actually are quite classy, respectful, exc.

But then you respond by saying we can't win by being all those things. Which contradicts your original argument.

So what is your actual stance here? :blink:

My stance is that those classy players may have character qualities - but not enough to win. Plus, the guys around them have character problems which only hamper the team's image and overall success (that is different from honest toughness from guys like Gino). Being dirty doesn't win you the Cup, neither does being classy, or having skill. Character is what separates winners from losers.

Gretzky didn't win four cups by being the most skilled player. He did so by being the ultimate character player - without it, he wouldn't have won one Cup nor would he have 2857 points at the end of the day. Bossy wouldn't have been the great goal scorer he was without his character. Stevens, for all his toughness, knew how to play with character (and understood when not to cross the lines), and won three Cups.

Archived