The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden For Gm

VanNuck

Before I begin, we got to give credit to Gillis for what he has done for the team, building a good foundation and establishing purpose for the franchise. He certainly done well on two areas: drafting prospects and handling little things to attract better players and make them perform better.

But he has also taken out a lot of the team's former soul. Long removed are the 90s, when we had players who identified with the fans and made us a part of the game. The team has ceased to be a team for the fans and instead has become a machine - and a useless one too, having lost in the Finals and could get swept in the first round despite winning the President's Trophy. They treat players as assets instead of humans - enter Willie Mitchell - and that translates into less connection with the city, less respect from opponents, and less of a will to win. You say the players want to win, and I have no doubt that's true, but evidently they don't have enough of that swagger, confidence or will, otherwise we would have won the Cup by now.

There is more that I could talk about, but I will get straight to my point. Linden would be an ideal replacement for GM. From serving as Captain Canuck to president of the NHLPA, I think he has enough on his resume for this job. He is a strong, stable, and personable leader who knows how to assemble his team and make deals. Most importantly, he cares about this city more than anyone in the Canuck organization.

Linden is respected league-wide, even by the opponents. If your leader carries this kind of clout, your team won't be the object of scorn and derision. Your players will feel more up to task of winning.

Linden is just that kind of a guy that players would go through a brick wall for. Gillis, on the other hand, isn't so. That's why we ought to bring back number 16.

Yes, I would love to have Linden replace Gillis. He is someone who has played the sport, was a Captain, extremely successful, highly intelligent, and good in front of the camera. Compare this to Gillis who is irrational, stubborn, and arrogant.

I get that Trevor is still very invested in the Canucks community and loves the city of Vancouver and its team, but I'm honestly not sure he'd want the job.

Exactly, I could see him coming on as an advisor or director of player development though

Personally I'd like to see him with a spot in the office before becoming a GM.

I don't want him to share a fate with Gretzky's foray into coaching.

This.

I think the fact that he doesn't have any kind of job with the organization shows that he's probably not interested in it. If he were, he probably would be welcomed with open arms.

Linden doesn't want the job. In fact I doubt he wants anything to do with the organization. Whether it was Burke, Noonis, Gillis or Aqualini, they all recognize that if they liked him or not, the city loves him and he would be an asset to the organization. If Linden wanted a job with the Canucks he'd have it in a heart beat. He has all the qualifications as previously mentioned. He has the following.

Does he want the job?

Yes, I would love to have Linden replace Gillis. He is someone who has played the sport, was a Captain, extremely successful, highly intelligent, and good in front of the camera. Compare this to Gillis who is irrational, stubborn, and arrogant.

This will never happen!! There was already a thread about this. Trev loves being retired!!!

Man no wonder why the rest of the nhl hates us.... People on this board want Gillis and Vigneault fired, and the whole freakin team traded. Kesler somehow went from god status/captain material to a useless and overrated guy who should be on the first plane out of town after the season. Edler, top 10 in dman points during the regular season, is everybodys new favourite scapegoat and apparently a completely worthless defenseman.

Vancouver has the worst fans in the nhl. Yea... we care about hockey, and we are passioniate, but we are also high maintenance, stuck up, and un-supportive. We are the only team in the playoffs who goes dead silent when losing, and boo's our own team instead of cheering like crazy to try to swing momentum if its not going their way.

Do we need changes.... sure I think so, but the amount of bi-polar fans on here is ridiculous! Gillis wins gm of the year, and then apparently should get the boot the next year? He's a hell of a gm and is always trying to improve the team. Its not his fault the guys he brought in have been given zero chance from the coach. If AV showed some more confidence in Hodgson, maybe he would still be here and wouldn't have demanded a trade because he was unhappy with his icetime. Maybe people wouldn't be criticisng the trade as much if Kassian was actually given a fair chance and played more than 3 minutes a night.

Anyways... bringing in Linden doesn't solve or guarantee anything. If this were to happen he would have to put in his time with the team and learn the ropes. Gillis has done a very good job and doesn't deserve to get the boot.

Man no wonder why the rest of the nhl hates us.... People on this board want Gillis and Vigneault fired, and the whole freakin team traded. Kesler somehow went from god status/captain material to a useless and overrated guy who should be on the first plane out of town after the season. Edler, top 10 in dman points during the regular season, is everybodys new favourite scapegoat and apparently a completely worthless defenseman.

Vancouver has the worst fans in the nhl. Yea... we care about hockey, and we are passioniate, but we are also high maintenance, stuck up, and un-supportive. We are the only team in the playoffs who goes dead silent when losing, and boo's our own team instead of cheering like crazy to try to swing momentum if its not going their way.

Do we need changes.... sure I think so, but the amount of bi-polar fans on here is ridiculous! Gillis wins gm of the year, and then apparently should get the boot the next year? He's a hell of a gm and is always trying to improve the team. Its not his fault the guys he brought in have been given zero chance from the coach. If AV showed some more confidence in Hodgson, maybe he would still be here and wouldn't have demanded a trade because he was unhappy with his icetime. Maybe people wouldn't be criticisng the trade as much if Kassian was actually given a fair chance and played more than 3 minutes a night.

Anyways... bringing in Linden doesn't solve or guarantee anything. If this were to happen he would have to put in his time with the team and learn the ropes. Gillis has done a very good job and doesn't deserve to get the boot.

This

Man no wonder why the rest of the nhl hates us.... People on this board want Gillis and Vigneault fired, and the whole freakin team traded. Kesler somehow went from god status/captain material to a useless and

overrated guy who should be on the first plane out of town after the season. Edler, top 10 in dman points during the regular season, is everybodys new favourite scapegoat and apparently a completely worthless defenseman.

Vancouver has the worst fans in the nhl. Yea... we care about hockey, and we are passioniate, but we are also high maintenance, stuck up, and un-supportive. We are the only team in the playoffs who goes dead silent when losing, and boo's our own team instead of cheering like crazy to try to swing momentum if its not going

their way.

Do we need changes.... sure I think so, but the amount of bi-polar fans on here is ridiculous! Gillis wins gm of the year, and then apparently should get the boot the next year? He's a hell of a gm and is always trying to improve the team. Its not his fault the guys he brought in have been given zero chance from the coach. If AV showed some more confidence in Hodgson, maybe he would still be here and wouldn't have

demanded a trade because he was unhappy with his icetime. Maybe people wouldn't be criticisng the trade as much if Kassian was actually given a fair chance and played more than 3 minutes a night.

Anyways... bringing in Linden doesn't solve or

guarantee anything. If this were to happen he would have to put in his time with the team and learn the ropes. Gillis has done a very good job and doesn't deserve to get the boot.

Best post I've seen hands down in a long, long time.

More chance of him being a GM some day than a coach. But what makes you think (a) he has any interest, or (B) any aptitude? Lots of better players than him couldn't get the job done. Being an icon in the city is hardly the background it takes to be a GM.

Archived