The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden For Gm

VanNuck

I get that Trevor is still very invested in the Canucks community and loves the city of Vancouver and its team, but I'm honestly not sure he'd want the job.

You've got a point there, but I think if all the fans campaign for him to take this job, he just might do it for us.

How about Gillis stays as GM ?

Tell us why. There is nothing worse than just making statements without backing up your point.

Gillis has done a fine job as GM, and as someone said, there will have to be major disappointment before he loses his job. Well, I can give you this disappointment: should we fail to make the SCF this year - yea, we could even fall out of the playoffs in this first round the way things are going. This season, the fans want nothing less than total victory and if they don't get it, more people will call out Gillis and expect him to have the boot.

I can point to a number of controversial moves that Gillis made that most fans disagree with - the only thing that will change their minds is a Stanley Cup.

Dealing away Hodgson - the trading of our future

Trading for Ballard - at best, an overpayment for a good defenseman (gave up the high potential Michael Grabner), at worst a total bust

Giving up Mitchell - Mitchell was still valuable, even despite his concussion, plus he brought irreplaceable intangibles

Not repairing rift with Linden - Linden, in the eyes of the fans, is the Vancouver Canucks itself. Bad for PR not to bring him back in some capacity.

Tell us why. There is nothing worse than just making statements without backing up your point.

Gillis has done a fine job as GM, and as someone said, there will have to be major disappointment before he loses his job. Well, I can give you this disappointment: should we fail to make the SCF this year - yea, we could even fall out of the playoffs in this first round the way things are going. This season, the fans want nothing less than total victory and if they don't get it, more people will call out Gillis and expect him to have the boot.

I can point to a number of controversial moves that Gillis made that most fans disagree with - the only thing that will change their minds is a Stanley Cup.

Trading for Ballard - at best, an overpayment for a good defenseman (gave up the high potential Michael Grabner), at worst a total bust

Giving up Mitchell - Mitchell was still valuable, even despite his concussion, plus he brought irreplaceable intangibles

Not repairing rift with Linden - Linden, in the eyes of the fans, is the Vancouver Canucks itself. Bad for PR not to bring him back in some capacity.

- We're getting just as highly rated and younger player back in Kassian. Plus MAG hasn't had a full season here and he can replace the offense lost in Erhoff.

- Grabner was never a high end prospect. He struggled in every camp, including Florida's which is why he was waived. He would never have gotten top 6 minutes here

-Mitchell was replaced by Hamhuis. Hamhuis is wayyyy better.

-Linden isn't owed anything...if he's playing beyond his usefulness its not MG's job to bend over backwards for him.

It's this loyalty that was the biggest issue with the Canucks before MG got here. Players like Mitchell, Ohlund, Naslund, Morrison & Linden were great in their primes, but they were not going to help this team moving forward. Even guys like Stan Smyl being given head scouting duties for no other reason than his past play here....and our drafts showed how poor of a decision that was. The last three years MG has assembled the best team in franchise history...and improved how the franchise is viewed off the ice too (sleep doctors, capologists, player facilities, how they treated Rypien, etc).

MG is the best GM this team has ever had, he isn't going anywhere, and I hope the Aquilini's see that.

Being an ex player does not mean you would be a good GM, totoally different.

Errmm Most GMs are ex players. From the top of my head, Chiarelli of the Bruins and Holland of the Red Wings. Gillis played hockey but was a lousy one at it.

Like he'd even want the job. Dealing with the idiot media and fans. Eventually tarnishing his bulletproof (people remember we traded him, right?) legacy here. Not having a clue about how to be a GM. etc.

I hate it when (supposedly) pro-Linden people post anti-Canuck ideas. Cheers.

TOML

Hodgson: wanted out.

Ballard: seemed oh so wicked @ when we got him, hey sometimes sh*t doesn't work out. plus I thought our top 6 was set wtf were we supposed to do with Grabner?..flip a coin, Raymond or him, We F'd up.

Mitchell: Say 'Hi' to Dan Hamhuis

You: Nice Try

Bonus: Booth, Ehrhoff (who was instrumental) ,Torres..(also dope), just to name a few, sorry they came 1 game away from winning the cup, let's give the whole team a makeover!...Did I mention Lappy and Higgy?...

what the eck are you supposed to do when you've come 1 game away from winning it all?..change the whole damn line-up? give you that much, MG didn't get enough grit or a top 6 D, but the way prices were, did you expect to sell the farm? how many trades happened @ the deadline again?...can't stand 'fans' that think it's so easy...who's supposed to come in and make you happy? do tell?

Like he'd even want the job. Dealing with the idiot media and fans. Eventually tarnishing his bulletproof (people remember we traded him, right?) legacy here. Not having a clue about how to be a GM. etc.

I hate it when (supposedly) pro-Linden people post anti-Canuck ideas. Cheers.

TOML

i love how keenan gets bashed for that trade to this day. take emotion out, and in pure hockey terms it was easily one of the best trades in canuck (and even NHL) history..

He dumped linden just before his decline , and got a beast named Bertuzzi just before he hit his prime, and bryan Mccabe (who was later traded for the picks that landed the sedins) AND a pick that turned into jarkko ruutu

Man no wonder why the rest of the nhl hates us.... People on this board want Gillis and Vigneault fired, and the whole freakin team traded. Kesler somehow went from god status/captain material to a  useless and overrated guy who should be on the first plane out of town after the season. Edler, top 10 in dman points during the regular season, is everybodys new favourite scapegoat and apparently a completely worthless defenseman.

Vancouver has the worst fans in the nhl. Yea... we care about hockey, and we are passioniate, but we are also high maintenance, stuck up, and un-supportive. We are the only team in the playoffs who goes dead silent when losing, and boo's our own team instead of cheering like crazy to try to swing momentum if its not going their way.

Do we need changes.... sure I think so, but the amount of bi-polar fans on here is ridiculous! Gillis wins gm of the year, and then apparently should get the boot the next year? He's a hell of a gm and is always trying to improve the team. Its not his fault the guys he brought in have been given zero chance from the coach. If AV showed some more confidence in Hodgson, maybe he would still be here and wouldn't have demanded a trade because he was unhappy with his icetime. Maybe people wouldn't be criticisng the trade as much if Kassian was actually given a fair chance and played more than 3 minutes a night.

Anyways... bringing in Linden doesn't solve or guarantee anything. If this were to happen he would have to put in his time with the team and learn the ropes. Gillis has done a very good job and doesn't deserve to get the boot.

I can tell you what Linden's return will do. He will get the franchise on the same page, and the right one: play for this city and represent it with pride. Gillis, well he has done some good, but he forgot job #1, make this a team that reflects Vancouver, connects with fans, and makes everyone winners. It is because of Gillis, by not taking care of this business, that Canuck nation is totally out of control.But I will say this, the Canucks, under Gillis is not worth cheering for.

Being an ex player does not mean you would be a good GM, totoally different.

Being an ex-player no. Being a leader yes. And with the Canucks out in the finals, it is time for change. Gillis shall be fired, Linden to take over.

Archived