The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden For Gm

VanNuck

Hodgson: wanted out.

Ballard: seemed oh so wicked @ when we got him, hey sometimes sh*t doesn't work out. plus I thought our top 6 was set wtf were we supposed to do with Grabner?..flip a coin, Raymond or him, We F'd up.

Mitchell: Say 'Hi' to Dan Hamhuis

You: Nice Try

Bonus: Booth, Ehrhoff (who was instrumental) ,Torres..(also dope), just to name a few, sorry they came 1 game away from winning the cup, let's give the whole team a makeover!...Did I mention Lappy and Higgy?...

what the eck are you supposed to do when you've come 1 game away from winning it all?..change the whole damn line-up? give you that much, MG didn't get enough grit or a top 6 D, but the way prices were, did you expect to sell the farm? how many trades happened @ the deadline again?...can't stand 'fans' that think it's so easy...who's supposed to come in and make you happy? do tell?

- Can you prove Hodgson wanted out?

- Grabner, not as good as he should have, but had more room to grow

- Mitchell still better than Ballard

But the bottom line is that Gillis has gone and sucked the place dry. These guys don't play for us - they play for themselves and they suck at it. We didn't come within one game of winning it all. We only won one game, and lost the series against an underdog team. So, it's time to change everything, starting with Gillis' removal.

I don't know why people would want Linden as GM... why put him in a position where he'd be hated within 3 or 4 years if we don't win the cup. A lot of Vancouver fans are all about hating, and loudly stating that buying a ticket gives them the right to be a hater.

I say the team needs to trade its fans.

Thats a hell of an idea !!

Watching the sens game, and CBC pans to Messier after the rangers score.

Seeing that smirk on his face....makes my blood boil....keep that man far, far away from our city and our franchise.

He did enough damage and he can go rot in NYC (which speaks to the fact that life is unfair, NYC is an amazing place to be/live--but I digress).

Trevor Linden, as you can see by my avatar, is my favourite player of all-time. He was the ultimate Canuck. The face of our club during 3 decades.

He was wonderful both on and off the ice and has made the decision to make VanCity his home after retirement. The city, and the Province, absolutely love him. I think, by choosing to live here, that he loves the city and its fans, too.

Fact of the matter is, he has a high school education. Playing hockey was his life. In order for Linden to be a GM, he is going to need an awful lot of "on-the-job" training. He will need to take some business courses and study under MG for years to learn the job of GM.

Bring Linden into the organization in some capacity, but, please don't try to say that he has the qualifications to be the General Manager of an NHL Hockey Club. Even to coach would be a massive stretch. Look at what happened to "The Great One" in the desert or "The Rocket" in Montreal.

PR guy? Sure. Scout? Why not? Assistant GM? No way. Not today, anyways.

By the way... Fire MG after 2 consecutive PT's? You've got to be kidding.

:towel::canucks:

Trevor Linden, as you can see by my avatar, is my favourite player of all-time. He was the ultimate Canuck. The face of our club during 3 decades.

He was wonderful both on and off the ice and has made the decision to make VanCity his home after retirement. The city, and the Province, absolutely love him. I think, by choosing to live here, that he loves the city and its fans, too.

Fact of the matter is, he has a high school education. Playing hockey was his life. In order for Linden to be a GM, he is going to need an awful lot of "on-the-job" training. He will need to take some business courses and study under MG for years to learn the job  of GM.

Bring Linden into the organization in some capacity, but, please don't try to say that he has the qualifications to be the General Manager of an NHL Hockey Club. Even to coach would be a massive stretch. Look at what happened to "The Great One" in the desert or "The Rocket" in Montreal.

PR guy? Sure. Scout? Why not? Assistant GM? No way. Not today, anyways.

By the way... Fire MG after 2 consecutive PT's? You've got to be kidding.

:towel::canucks:

I can see you are a solid Linden fan, which I like. Yes, Linden as a GM sounds like a stretch. But really, leadership is leadership. Gillis, when he was hired on as GM, that looked like a stretch, because he had no prior management experience whatsoever. He knew his weaknesses and hired staff to fill in the gaps.Linden, well, he too is a strong leader. He hasn't a college education, but he has had some hands-on experience, enter his presidency of the NHLPA. He can do this job - he just needs to find the right people, that's the main thing there is to know about leadership.Gretzky, well, he may have flopped as a coach, but look at his stint as Executive Director (aka GM) or Team Canada. That team won gold. Some good coaches make bad GMs and vice versa.Linden, if he were GM, that would totally change the personality of the organization and bring it back once again to the team that made it's home in the homes of our fans, make us all feel a part of the team. Under Gillis, well, they could have won a Cup, but the team has turned into something I really don't like.

Before I begin, we got to give credit to Gillis for what he has done for the team, building a good foundation and establishing purpose for the franchise. He certainly done well on two areas: drafting prospects and handling little things to attract better players and make them perform better.

But he has also taken out a lot of the team's former soul. Long removed are the 90s, when we had players who identified with the fans and made us a part of the game. The team has ceased to be a team for the fans and instead has become a machine - and a useless one too, having lost in the Finals and could get swept in the first round despite winning the President's Trophy. They treat players as assets instead of humans - enter Willie Mitchell - and that translates into less connection with the city, less respect from opponents, and less of a will to win. You say the players want to win, and I have no doubt that's true, but evidently they don't have enough of that swagger, confidence or will, otherwise we would have won the Cup by now.

There is more that I could talk about, but I will get straight to my point. Linden would be an ideal replacement for GM. From serving as Captain Canuck to president of the NHLPA, I think he has enough on his resume for this job. He is a strong, stable, and personable leader who knows how to assemble his team and make deals. Most importantly, he cares about this city more than anyone in the Canuck organization.

Linden is respected league-wide, even by the opponents. If your leader carries this kind of clout, your team won't be the object of scorn and derision. Your players will feel more up to task of winning.

Linden is just that kind of a guy that players would go through a brick wall for. Gillis, on the other hand, isn't so. That's why we ought to bring back number 16.

Sorry, it's a great idea but your logic in this is not even par.

Students who put a lot of time and effort into their school should be the principal?

Great scientists make great teachers?

No, sorry, that's not how the world works.

how would he be "sick" ?

Just because you played in the NHL it does not mean that you can manage a hockey team...

oh hey, I've coached u16 girls soccer - let me take a swing at becoming the coach of the canucks?

come on get real.

Linden was President for the Players Association for many Years! He was/is still respected by most everyone in the league. He was a leader in the NHL and did not just play.

Just because you're a great player and have leadership abilites does not mean you would make a good GM.

There's alot more to being a GM than that. It takes alot of knowledge plus alot of negotiating skills to be a good GM.

Gillis didn't just get lucky and win the job for GM. The guy is a lawyer and was a player agent for a long time. He's got a vast knowledge of how the inner workings of NHL organizations work. Linden does not.

• 8 months later...

Once again, something is wrong in Vancouver, and someone has to go. In my books, the scapegoat isn't to be Luongo or AV, but Gillis, who should be replaced with someone who truly cares about this team, who's made his home in Vancouver, and who is respected by every hockey persona in business. That man is Trevor Linden.

The guy runs a business - okay, running an athletic centre isn't the same as managing an entire franchise, but to people who say he has no business experience, well he has, not a lot, but he knows what he's doing. Given all of his credentials, backed by his personal character, he is more than capable of being GM here.

Under Linden, players who want to play for Canucks, who want to make their home here with the fans, and who wil make every connection with this community (as opposed to token deeds) will play here. Under Linden, well, the fans will learn to stand pact and not holler and howl when things go wrong. He will be up front and honest about situations when things go wrong, and do everything in his power to make things right. Worse comes to worse, if it's obvious Canucks cannot win the Cup in a given season, he will tell the truth, but then ask fans not to give up hope, before coming up with a plan to get the team going for the future. He would then take the message to the players and coaching staff, and they will get their act together. Under Linden, they will want to win, not just for themselves, but for the city - I don't see much of that under Gillis, just some selfish, gutless players who fizzle (although there are others with real desire).

There's a reason why the Canucks are ranked among the worst of NHL franchises, as low as third to last of 122, above only Montreal and Toronto by some accounts. And even I, an ardent Canuck fan, am growing dissapointed and even ashamed to call myself a Canuck fan. If Gillis were doing a better job, we wouldn't have this problem. So once again, I call for a change in management.

I could see Linden being a darn good GM in the future (if he decides he wants to) but for now I think Mike Gillis has done a fantastic job. Sure we haven't won the cup yet, but he's put together a great team, one that is always a Stanley Cup contender every year

Once again, something is wrong in Vancouver, and someone has to go. In my books, the scapegoat isn't to be Luongo or AV, but Gillis, who should be replaced with someone who truly cares about this team, who's made his home in Vancouver, and who is respected by every hockey persona in business. That man is Trevor Linden.

The guy runs a business - okay, running an athletic centre isn't the same as managing an entire franchise, but to people who say he has no business experience, well he has, not a lot, but he knows what he's doing. Given all of his credentials, backed by his personal character, he is more than capable of being GM here.

Under Linden, players who want to play for Canucks, who want to make their home here with the fans, and who wil make every connection with this community (as opposed to token deeds) will play here. Under Linden, well, the fans will learn to stand pact and not holler and howl when things go wrong. He will be up front and honest about situations when things go wrong, and do everything in his power to make things right. Worse comes to worse, if it's obvious Canucks cannot win the Cup in a given season, he will tell the truth, but then ask fans not to give up hope, before coming up with a plan to get the team going for the future. He would then take the message to the players and coaching staff, and they will get their act together. Under Linden, they will want to win, not just for themselves, but for the city - I don't see much of that under Gillis, just some selfish, gutless players who fizzle (although there are others with real desire).

There's a reason why the Canucks are ranked among the worst of NHL franchises, as low as third to last of 122, above only Montreal and Toronto by some accounts. And even I, an ardent Canuck fan, am growing dissapointed and even ashamed to call myself a Canuck fan. If Gillis were doing a better job, we wouldn't have this problem. So once again, I call for a change in management.

When you finish kissing Lindens arse maybe you can answer a couple of questions.

1 - Does Linden even want to be a GM? Last I heard from him, although he missed "the guys", he was really happy that for the first time in his adult life he didn't have to travel all the time.

2 - God help me, but I have to ask: What blogging idiot has us ranked as one of the worst NHL franchises?

Before I begin, we got to give credit to Gillis for what he has done for the team, building a good foundation and establishing purpose for the franchise. He certainly done well on two areas: drafting prospects and handling little things to attract better players and make them perform better.

But he has also taken out a lot of the team's former soul. Long removed are the 90s, when we had players who identified with the fans and made us a part of the game. The team has ceased to be a team for the fans and instead has become a machine - and a useless one too, having lost in the Finals and could get swept in the first round despite winning the President's Trophy. They treat players as assets instead of humans - enter Willie Mitchell - and that translates into less connection with the city, less respect from opponents, and less of a will to win. You say the players want to win, and I have no doubt that's true, but evidently they don't have enough of that swagger, confidence or will, otherwise we would have won the Cup by now.

There is more that I could talk about, but I will get straight to my point. Linden would be an ideal replacement for GM. From serving as Captain Canuck to president of the NHLPA, I think he has enough on his resume for this job. He is a strong, stable, and personable leader who knows how to assemble his team and make deals. Most importantly, he cares about this city more than anyone in the Canuck organization.

Linden is respected league-wide, even by the opponents. If your leader carries this kind of clout, your team won't be the object of scorn and derision. Your players will feel more up to task of winning.

Linden is just that kind of a guy that players would go through a brick wall for. Gillis, on the other hand, isn't so. That's why we ought to bring back number 16.

... because we won SOOOOOOO many cups in the '90s ... :picard:

Gillis has assembled the best team this city has ever had, get over it.

Archived