The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden For Gm

VanNuck

Well first of all, there's no guarantee Linden being here would mean winning right away. Sometimes it takes time. But under MG, the team has already gone as far as it could - and the ship is breaking up rapidly now. Linden can't be any worse.

Secondly, Yzerman and Gretzky have been tremendous in the front offices for Team Canada, leading their teams to Olympic gold. Yzerman's Lightning is hitting hard times, but he's still got the pieces to rebound.

Thirdly, Linden doesn't get the nod based on his successes as a player alone. The man has been a longtime president for the NHLPA and as some business experience. Has considerable substance to be considered for the job.

Vancouver is a tough market,fans and media are impatient..They would not have the patience to have a guy 'learn on the job'.Even Trevor Linden.Team Canada is not the NHL..you dont have to trade,draft,sign etcI am a Linden fan,but not as an NHL GM

As much as I love Linden as a player and as captain, I am not sure if he would make a good GM.

I wasn't the first to suggest Linden for GM. Before Gillis was hired, I heard a few people calling for Linden to take the post, which at the time I disagreed with. It didn't make sense to have a retiring player suddenly take the post, so I thought.

A few years down the road, the personality and character of the team was beginning to erode. Players were sold off and those who remained were disconnected from the fans. The gall that really got me was Hodgson's trading (preceeded by Mitchell not being re-signed among other moves). That's when I decided, give TL a second look, and sure enough, the man actually can run a team. On top of being a player, I recalled he was president of the NHLPA for eight years, involved in a lot of negotiations and organizational discussions. He knows enough to run the club. And now, with things spiralling out of control for the team, I believe it's time for him to take the reins over.

Vancouver is a tough market,fans and media are impatient..They would not have the patience to have a guy 'learn on the job'.Even Trevor Linden.Team Canada is not the NHL..you dont have to trade,draft,sign etcI am a Linden fan,but not as an NHL GM

I don't remember anyone harping on Pat Quinn when things were going awry after the 1994 paramount. People back then stood behind him - until he was fired for not seeing eye-to-eye with McCaw.

Linden can buy breathing room by maintaining positive PR, being honest with the fans over the state of the team, good or bad, and then assuring them he'll do everything possible to win. People can forgive him even if things start slow for a year or two - I certainly would, as long he can still revive the team's character and desire to win and win for the fans, for the city, not simply for themselves. We know he'll certainly care a lot more than Gillis, because he is one of us and he has that fire and determination to win. He just needs to take his talents back to False Creek and rejoin the Vancouver Canucks.

If not Linden, then perhaps Smyl could take the job - at least he has front office and coaching experience. Won't make a good coach though, based on what others said, unless he grew more since.

• 4 months later...

I know I've been getting plenty of heck for my "ridiculous" ideas and my obsession with Captain Canuck. I'll own that maybe I was getting too carried away here.

But I can say one thing: I've been proven right about Gillis - already, the fans are turning on him, calling for him to be fired. And once Torts and his miserable sidekick Sullivan turn the Canuck dressing room into a nightmare, and the Sedins leave in free agency, along with who knows whom else - it is going to be inevitable that Gillis' tenure is over in Vancouver.

Maybe Linden isn't the right person for the GM post - maybe he's still in over his head even in that role (in spite of arguements I've posed that he isn't). That's why I changed my tone, called for Stan Smyl to take the GM role, and for Linden to be assistant GM. When Torts was hired (and MG going nowhere), I figured he'd fit as Torts' "good cop" assistant, one that Mike Sullivan isn't. One way or another, I will argue that he needs to be back in the Canucks' organization in some capacity - and MG must be out.

I hate Linden fans. Most unrealistic people ever. The guy was a decent player and great off the ice. Nothing more.

I'm a Linden fan, but Trevor has shown zero interest in being involved in hockey anymore. He's not looking at getting into coaching as an assistant, and has not taken any jobs to allow him to learn the ropes on being a GM, Scout, etc.

Linden has great leadership attributes, and he'd be a natural in coaching or management. Maybe Trevor just wants to make his own way in life outside of hockey.

Thanks for lumping all Linden fans together.

If MG does get fired, Gilman should take the reigns. Gilman is an incredibly smart and likable guy with tons of front office experience.

Gilman would be a good brain trust, but how much would he know about the intagibles of how a team works?

I'm a Linden fan, but Trevor has shown zero interest in being involved in hockey anymore. He's not looking at getting into coaching as an assistant, and has not taken any jobs to allow him to learn the ropes on being a GM, Scout, etc.

Linden has great leadership attributes, and he'd be a natural in coaching or management. Maybe Trevor just wants to make his own way in life outside of hockey.

Thanks for lumping all Linden fans together.

Have to agree with you on that note - to which I can say two things: if Linden doesn't want it, you could hire Smyl for the job. Second, I never said he's interested - I just said that the team is beginning to get lost without him, the team needs him (and Smyl and perhaps Nazzy) back in some role. Linden probably could care less and refuse, but if so, everyone loses.

I know I sound unrealistic - probably like some other fan who suggested (immediately following his retirement) that he replace Nonis. But really, when you look a second time, he can do it.

you can't ignore the business side of NHL. You can't build a competitive team without making moves that seem "harsh"

Ever heard of Mark Messier? There's a difference between an occasional tough business decision and than a series of harsh decision. Yes, every now and then, Linden (or whomever is GM) may need to make a tough decision to keep the hockey business forward, but once you sell out the team's soul by ostracizing too many of the heart-and-soul Vancouverite players, you disrupt the entire chemstry of the team that it unravels badly.

The Curse of T-Lind

This team has been cursed since the day they traded the heart and soul of this franchise. Only way to win a cup is to bring him back in some capacity so he gets his name engraved on Lord Stanley's mug along with the franchise and city he gave it all for.

Then can you please explain why we haven't won the cup even before Linden got traded?

Not about to read all these posts but if you wanted a popular ex player why wouldn't you give the job to Stan Smyl? He has years of front office experience.

Yes, actually we did begin suggesting that - Smyl for GM, Linden and Gilman for his assistants.

Are you trying to say that this is set in stone? Cause I'm not buying it.

Well you got to buy something once the season blows up in your face and MG loses his job.

Archived