269 replies to this topic

#121 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:26 PM

No disrespect to Trevor Linden,but great players do not neccesarily mean that thy're going to be great NHL GM's or coaches..Wayne Gretzky and Steve Yzerman say hello.

Well first of all, there's no guarantee Linden being here would mean winning right away. Sometimes it takes time. But under MG, the team has already gone as far as it could - and the ship is breaking up rapidly now. Linden can't be any worse.

Secondly, Yzerman and Gretzky have been tremendous in the front offices for Team Canada, leading their teams to Olympic gold. Yzerman's Lightning is hitting hard times, but he's still got the pieces to rebound.

Thirdly, Linden doesn't get the nod based on his successes as a player alone. The man has been a longtime president for the NHLPA and as some business experience. Has considerable substance to be considered for the job.

#122 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:28 PM

But but but but but I like Gillis!

We'll see if you still like him when the Nucks fall out in the first or second round again.

#123 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

So much of being a GM is about negotiating legal contracts, trades, etc. etc. so hard for a player to just step into it.

#124 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

So much of being a GM is about negotiating legal contracts, trades, etc. etc. so hard for a player to just step into it.

Not unless they had served as an NHLPA president for almost 8 years and made negotiations during a lockout.

#125 Quoted

Quoted

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

Not unless they had served as an NHLPA president for almost 8 years and made negotiations during a lockout.

I was speaking more generally. Trevor seems like a pretty smart businessman too (real estate, gyms, etc.) so he may be able to do it.

#126 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,266 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

You can always hire a lawyer and an accountant to handle the legal, contractual, and accounting side (And Cap side) of the business.

What we need is a hockey guy to fire our scouts, our coaching staff, and our medical staff/trainers. And bring in people who:
1) Take care of our injured players properly.
2) Try to help players prevent injuries, and improve recovery time.
3) Draft good players no matter what round and find those late round gems.
4) Develop players properly with AHL and Junior experience.
5) Have a coaching staff that give the support, preparation, and improvement to make good players into great players.
6) Have a coaching staff that knows what improvise, adapt and overcome means.

We need a clean sheet, and it's time to gut the house and rebuild off a solid foundation.

At this point I'm thinking of giving Neil Smith a shot at the NHL again. Someone that can scout talent.
But hey, if Trev wanted the gig, I'd give it to him.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 03 April 2013 - 04:37 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#127 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

Just what we need, another rookie GM, it worked out so well this time.

And that is coming from a Trev fan.

How about Neil Smith?

#128 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

You can always hire a lawyer and an accountant to handle the legal, contractual, and accounting side (And Cap side) of the business.

What we need is a hockey guy to fire our scouts, our coaching staff, and our medical staff/trainers. And bring in people who:
5) Have a coaching staff that give the support, preparation, and improvement to make good players into great players.

We need a clean sheet, and it's time to gut the house and rebuild off a solid foundation.

At this point I'm thinking of giving Neil Smith a shot at the NHL again. Someone that can scout talent.

That's right. If Justin Trudeau can run for the Liberal leadership based on his sheer popularity and build a team of people who know what to do, then Linden can do the same as GM.

#129 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

I nominate Steve Nash.. he can just surround himself with people who know about being a general manager of a professional sports team... and, like, hockey. Can't be worse than Jay Feaster.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#130 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

I nominate Steve Nash.. he can just surround himself with people who know about being a general manager of a professional sports team... and, like, hockey. Can't be worse than Jay Feaster.

Great idea. Steve Nash would replace the uniforms with shorts and install hoops over the nets. Yeah, he'd make a great hockey GM.

#131 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Tell us why. There is nothing worse than just making statements without backing up your point.

Gillis has done a fine job as GM, and as someone said, there will have to be major disappointment before he loses his job. Well, I can give you this disappointment: should we fail to make the SCF this year - yea, we could even fall out of the playoffs in this first round the way things are going. This season, the fans want nothing less than total victory and if they don't get it, more people will call out Gillis and expect him to have the boot.

I can point to a number of controversial moves that Gillis made that most fans disagree with - the only thing that will change their minds is a Stanley Cup.

Dealing away Hodgson - the trading of our future
Trading for Ballard - at best, an overpayment for a good defenseman (gave up the high potential Michael Grabner), at worst a total bust
Giving up Mitchell - Mitchell was still valuable, even despite his concussion, plus he brought irreplaceable intangibles
Not repairing rift with Linden - Linden, in the eyes of the fans, is the Vancouver Canucks itself. Bad for PR not to bring him back in some capacity.

Ok we are not sure about Hodgson just yet and way too early to tell. We may agree on that!!
As for trading for Ballard, Would you have been more happy having an overweight out of shape Grabner come to camp? Why was he waived again in Florida?
In a cap era would you take a chance on a Concuss D-men who even himself wasn't sure he would ever return. Now highsight is 50/50. What happens if Gillis did signed Mitchell and he took a hit and ended his Career would you be blasting Gillis for wasting cap space knowing he has a history of concussions.
Now I've never heard no rift Between Linden and Management. Where did you here this from? The media,heresay, or speculation? From what we heard from Linden was he wanted to step away from the game, and venture to other business adventures.

Edited by canacks1970, 03 April 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#132 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Great idea. Steve Nash would replace the uniforms with shorts and install hoops over the nets. Yeah, he'd make a great hockey GM.

but even if he just stood there and spun a ball on his finger, he'd be a better interview than Gillis
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#133 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Exactly. This is the best post I have read here in ages.

Right on the money!

#134 Nino

Nino

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

I would vote for anyone other then MG right now.

#135 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:00 PM

I hate Linden fans. Most unrealistic people ever. The guy was a decent player and great off the ice. Nothing more.

Another +1 for you.

It didnt occur to these people that Linden is so far removed from the game, that he just doesnt care for a job like that, or the possible fact that he might just flat out suck at it.

1znsn4k.jpg

Every "Burrow's Special", to Date.

#136 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

As much as I love Linden as a player and as captain, I am not sure if he would make a good GM.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#137 Super_Canuck

Super_Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

Before I begin, we got to give credit to Gillis for what he has done for the team, building a good foundation and establishing purpose for the franchise. He certainly done well on two areas: drafting prospects and handling little things to attract better players and make them perform better.

But he has also taken out a lot of the team's former soul. Long removed are the 90s, when we had players who identified with the fans and made us a part of the game. The team has ceased to be a team for the fans and instead has become a machine - and a useless one too, having lost in the Finals and could get swept in the first round despite winning the President's Trophy. They treat players as assets instead of humans - enter Willie Mitchell - and that translates into less connection with the city, less respect from opponents, and less of a will to win. You say the players want to win, and I have no doubt that's true, but evidently they don't have enough of that swagger, confidence or will, otherwise we would have won the Cup by now.

There is more that I could talk about, but I will get straight to my point. Linden would be an ideal replacement for GM. From serving as Captain Canuck to president of the NHLPA, I think he has enough on his resume for this job. He is a strong, stable, and personable leader who knows how to assemble his team and make deals. Most importantly, he cares about this city more than anyone in the Canuck organization.

Linden is respected league-wide, even by the opponents. If your leader carries this kind of clout, your team won't be the object of scorn and derision. Your players will feel more up to task of winning.

Linden is just that kind of a guy that players would go through a brick wall for. Gillis, on the other hand, isn't so. That's why we ought to bring back number 16.

I agree with everything you said except the 1st paragraph. IMO, Gillis hasn't done a whole lot. What foundation are you talking about?? In 5 years he has one A level prospect in the system and that's Jensen. He has made some bad trades. He inherited the best players on this team, all Gillis has done is add role players/bottom 6 plugs. He hasn't added anyone that can put us over the top. He has been given undue credit for this team's success. He is a good agent who is good at negotiation contracts, but he is not a very good GM imo.

#138 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

Gillis would be great as a head of hockey operations or something who could help with negotiating and dealing with the legal side of things, Gillman seems to be on the ball as an AGM - but definitely there should be someone with more GM experience with that job it seems.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#139 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

I'd take Linden in the coaching staff >>>> GM

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#140 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

never want Linden on any of the public staff position like coach or gm cos sooner or later he will be chew out by our fan base like all our star players/GM/coaches.

No, i don't want to see the image of the city destroy by the fans.

#141 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

Well first of all, there's no guarantee Linden being here would mean winning right away. Sometimes it takes time. But under MG, the team has already gone as far as it could - and the ship is breaking up rapidly now. Linden can't be any worse.

Secondly, Yzerman and Gretzky have been tremendous in the front offices for Team Canada, leading their teams to Olympic gold. Yzerman's Lightning is hitting hard times, but he's still got the pieces to rebound.

Thirdly, Linden doesn't get the nod based on his successes as a player alone. The man has been a longtime president for the NHLPA and as some business experience. Has considerable substance to be considered for the job.

Vancouver is a tough market,fans and media are impatient..They would not have the patience to have a guy 'learn on the job'.Even Trevor Linden.Team Canada is not the NHL..you dont have to trade,draft,sign etcI am a Linden fan,but not as an NHL GM

#142 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

As much as I love Linden as a player and as captain, I am not sure if he would make a good GM.

I wasn't the first to suggest Linden for GM. Before Gillis was hired, I heard a few people calling for Linden to take the post, which at the time I disagreed with. It didn't make sense to have a retiring player suddenly take the post, so I thought.

A few years down the road, the personality and character of the team was beginning to erode. Players were sold off and those who remained were disconnected from the fans. The gall that really got me was Hodgson's trading (preceeded by Mitchell not being re-signed among other moves). That's when I decided, give TL a second look, and sure enough, the man actually can run a team. On top of being a player, I recalled he was president of the NHLPA for eight years, involved in a lot of negotiations and organizational discussions. He knows enough to run the club. And now, with things spiralling out of control for the team, I believe it's time for him to take the reins over.

Vancouver is a tough market,fans and media are impatient..They would not have the patience to have a guy 'learn on the job'.Even Trevor Linden.Team Canada is not the NHL..you dont have to trade,draft,sign etcI am a Linden fan,but not as an NHL GM

I don't remember anyone harping on Pat Quinn when things were going awry after the 1994 paramount. People back then stood behind him - until he was fired for not seeing eye-to-eye with McCaw.

Linden can buy breathing room by maintaining positive PR, being honest with the fans over the state of the team, good or bad, and then assuring them he'll do everything possible to win. People can forgive him even if things start slow for a year or two - I certainly would, as long he can still revive the team's character and desire to win and win for the fans, for the city, not simply for themselves. We know he'll certainly care a lot more than Gillis, because he is one of us and he has that fire and determination to win. He just needs to take his talents back to False Creek and rejoin the Vancouver Canucks.

If not Linden, then perhaps Smyl could take the job - at least he has front office and coaching experience. Won't make a good coach though, based on what others said, unless he grew more since.

#143 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

I know I've been getting plenty of heck for my "ridiculous" ideas and my obsession with Captain Canuck. I'll own that maybe I was getting too carried away here.

But I can say one thing: I've been proven right about Gillis - already, the fans are turning on him, calling for him to be fired. And once Torts and his miserable sidekick Sullivan turn the Canuck dressing room into a nightmare, and the Sedins leave in free agency, along with who knows whom else - it is going to be inevitable that Gillis' tenure is over in Vancouver.

Maybe Linden isn't the right person for the GM post - maybe he's still in over his head even in that role (in spite of arguements I've posed that he isn't). That's why I changed my tone, called for Stan Smyl to take the GM role, and for Linden to be assistant GM. When Torts was hired (and MG going nowhere), I figured he'd fit as Torts' "good cop" assistant, one that Mike Sullivan isn't. One way or another, I will argue that he needs to be back in the Canucks' organization in some capacity - and MG must be out.

#144 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 26,266 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

I hate Linden fans. Most unrealistic people ever. The guy was a decent player and great off the ice. Nothing more.

I'm a Linden fan, but Trevor has shown zero interest in being involved in hockey anymore. He's not looking at getting into coaching as an assistant, and has not taken any jobs to allow him to learn the ropes on being a GM, Scout, etc.

Linden has great leadership attributes, and he'd be a natural in coaching or management. Maybe Trevor just wants to make his own way in life outside of hockey.

Thanks for lumping all Linden fans together.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#145 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Naslund has more experience and would be better cut out for the job IMO.

Edited by zombieksa, 02 September 2013 - 05:19 PM.

"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#146 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 26,266 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

Naslund has more experience and would be better cut out for the job IMO.

He's already running a hockey club, Modo.
GO CANUCKS GO!

Posted Image

#147 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

If MG does get fired, Gilman should take the reigns. Gilman is an incredibly smart and likable guy with tons of front office experience.

#148 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

No kidding. So sick of it. There are always 2-5 of these threads every season.

1znsn4k.jpg

Every "Burrow's Special", to Date.

#149 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

If MG does get fired, Gilman should take the reigns. Gilman is an incredibly smart and likable guy with tons of front office experience.

Gilman would be a good brain trust, but how much would he know about the intagibles of how a team works?

I'm a Linden fan, but Trevor has shown zero interest in being involved in hockey anymore. He's not looking at getting into coaching as an assistant, and has not taken any jobs to allow him to learn the ropes on being a GM, Scout, etc.

Linden has great leadership attributes, and he'd be a natural in coaching or management. Maybe Trevor just wants to make his own way in life outside of hockey.

Thanks for lumping all Linden fans together.

Have to agree with you on that note - to which I can say two things: if Linden doesn't want it, you could hire Smyl for the job. Second, I never said he's interested - I just said that the team is beginning to get lost without him, the team needs him (and Smyl and perhaps Nazzy) back in some role. Linden probably could care less and refuse, but if so, everyone loses.

I know I sound unrealistic - probably like some other fan who suggested (immediately following his retirement) that he replace Nonis. But really, when you look a second time, he can do it.

#150 Jetliner

Jetliner

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

you can't ignore the business side of NHL. You can't build a competitive team without making moves that seem "harsh"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.