The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden For Gm

VanNuck

Not about to read all these posts but if you wanted a popular ex player why wouldn't you give the job to Stan Smyl? He has years of front office experience.

Lets give the job to Bure

Trades the Sedins

Trades our defensemen

Gives Kesler a bonus

Acquires Ovechkin ( THIS IS FIRST ON THE LIST )

Puts zherdev in line and signs him

Trades for nishuskin

Trades for yakupov

Trades for galchenyuk

Signs kovalchuk

GMMG needs to be given more time, we have to be patient.

MG had his chance, and he failed. The team is sinking like the Titanic, people no longer want to come here, and now Torts and his equally miserable sidekick Sullivan will turn the dressing room into a nightmare house and everyone will be running away. Mark my words, more time for MG only spells more time to sink to the bottom of the ocean.

I hate Linden fans. Most unrealistic people ever. The guy was a decent player and great off the ice. Nothing more.

Its not just Linden fans,

over in the Gagner quits thread there is talk of Linden, Malholtra, Butcher and Babych taking the job.

and in trades and proposals, trading for 38 y/o Burtuzzi for 2nd line wing.

Naslund for GM came up recently

and then there are all the "Hope we draft Ronning's, Courtnall's etc kid" threads

then there are those with infatuation with the dead ex-Canucks

about the only ex-Canucks not on the radar for one job or another are Tallon, Lever and Nedved, where is the love for them?

MG had his chance, and he failed. The team is sinking like the Titanic, people no longer want to come here, and now Torts and his equally miserable sidekick Sullivan will turn the dressing room into a nightmare house and everyone will be running away. Mark my words, more time for MG only spells more time to sink to the bottom of the ocean.

Mark your words ? How about you make sense first ?

Guest Pinchin

Trevor Linden has enough going on with Club 16 and his commercials for Clearly Contacts. I expect after he gains more business acumen he will consider a GM or hockey ops role but I question that he is considering it at this point.

Before I begin, we got to give credit to Gillis for what he has done for the team, building a good foundation and establishing purpose for the franchise. He certainly done well on two areas: drafting prospects and handling little things to attract better players and make them perform better.

But he has also taken out a lot of the team's former soul. Long removed are the 90s, when we had players who identified with the fans and made us a part of the game. The team has ceased to be a team for the fans and instead has become a machine - and a useless one too, having lost in the Finals and could get swept in the first round despite winning the President's Trophy. They treat players as assets instead of humans - enter Willie Mitchell - and that translates into less connection with the city, less respect from opponents, and less of a will to win. You say the players want to win, and I have no doubt that's true, but evidently they don't have enough of that swagger, confidence or will, otherwise we would have won the Cup by now.

There is more that I could talk about, but I will get straight to my point. Linden would be an ideal replacement for GM. From serving as Captain Canuck to president of the NHLPA, I think he has enough on his resume for this job. He is a strong, stable, and personable leader who knows how to assemble his team and make deals. Most importantly, he cares about this city more than anyone in the Canuck organization.

Linden is respected league-wide, even by the opponents. If your leader carries this kind of clout, your team won't be the object of scorn and derision. Your players will feel more up to task of winning.

Linden is just that kind of a guy that players would go through a brick wall for. Gillis, on the other hand, isn't so. That's why we ought to bring back number 16.

Love Trevor but he would need some time to "learn the business"...

Maybe its time to offer him a role though...who else better to help develop our youth than the best leader this team has ever seen, a guy who gave everything night in night out (well next to smyl for those who remember him).

Offer him the director of player development role!

Its not his fault the guys he brought in have been given zero chance from the coach. If AV showed some more confidence in Hodgson, maybe he would still be here and wouldn't have demanded a trade because he was unhappy with his icetime.

I don't know how many times I've had to refute this assertion, but apparently it's time to do so again....

Gillis has been quoted many times, saying that Hodgson's icetime and usage was carefully planned by all members of the coaching and management staff. Gillis  bears the same responsibility for Coho's playing time as does AV.

On topic: I've said this a hundred times as well....

...Linden has no GM experience and he doesn't want the job anyway. Yzerman paid his dues before getting the job in T Bay.

Yes, I would love to have Linden replace Gillis. He is someone who has played the sport, was a Captain, extremely successful, highly intelligent, and good in front of the camera. Compare this to Gillis who is irrational, stubborn, and arrogant.

Yes and how is Gillis any different then Burke or Quinn who may sometime comes off just as Arrogant and Subborn??? How many owners have fired a GM who hasn't missed the playoffs?

Yes and how is Gillis any different then Burke or Quinn who may sometime comes off just as Arrogant and Subborn??? How many owners have fired a GM who hasn't missed the playoffs?

Yes, and how many Cups has Burke (fired after making playoffs) or Quinn won in Vancouver?

On topic: I've said this a hundred times as well....

...Linden has no GM experience and he doesn't want the job anyway. Yzerman paid his dues before getting the job in T Bay.

As I've said a number of times myself: Gillis had no GM experience neither, he was an agent. Linden was president of the NHLPA, which is similar to being an agent. Besides, if he doesn't want the job or still isn't suitable, then Smyl should become GM, and Linden can be his assistant, along with Gilman. Either way, these guys (or someone who respects and cares about Vancouver AND hockey) needs to replace Gillis.

Mark your words ? How about you make sense first ?

You already saw that Gillis is on the hot seat now. Just watch this season unfold - the Sedins and Edler will be bolting out of here once Torts gives them a real hiding. That will be the last straw and Gillis will be gone.

Is Linden even interested in working Hockey Operations? You'd think if he was he'd be working at a lower level somewhere already.

Like I said a thousand times, if he doesn't return, it's the Canucks' loss, because they need him even more than he needs them. Or, like more of us suggested, if he doesn't take the job, then give it to Smyl.

• 5 months later...

Well after how this season is going, more and more fans are calling for MG to be fired. Years of contending for the division followed by what? A lack of offense, inconsistent play, being on the outside of the playoff hunt, and now, players are starting to want out of Vancouver!

And just when things couldn't get worse, Gillis finally trades Luongo, getting in return, two guys who at best won't likely ever accomplish what Lu has done - and they most certainly don't look capable of being a starring role in a successful Cup run. Lu can still do the latter (maybe not with a messed up Canucks team though).

All I got to say is, I told you so, two years ago. After this travesty, Gillis has proven to be a failure at handling the club's relations with his key players and has made many ill-fated or mediocre-at-best moves. He should be fired and replaced with either Linden or Stan Smyl.

I hate Linden fans. Most unrealistic people ever. The guy was a decent player and great off the ice. Nothing more.

He was also the heart and soul of the 94 team, and was that player that nearly fought back to win us the cup in game 7. Something that was very much missing in our lacklustre game 7 against Boston.

He was head of the NHLPA through 2 lockouts and was very respected by both the players and management throughout the process. Lou Lamoriello (you know the guy that got Shneids for a prospect), considered to be one of the best business minds in hockey had high praise for him.

He played on several all star teams and an Olympic team.

But you're right just an average player, no depth to this guy.

That all being said, throwing him in as GM especially at this point, is just throwing him to the wolves. I've always thought a spot in management or assistant coach was fitting for Linden, if he showed promise he could move on to something like GM or Coach.

Archived