The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sending "the Message"

Hectic

When Henrik Sedin got hit by Dustin Brown, which in my opinion was a perfectly clean hit, the common response from an abundance of analysts, CDC members, and many other fans was that we didn't come up with a response and send a message to the other team to not mess with our star player and our captain. Now, I'm all for playing a physical game within the rules as well as making it clear that the other team shouldn't be messing with your best players. However, when we're down 2-0 in a series, what sense is there in responding and sending a "message" to the other team? I really don't understand why people are so worked up about how we're not a tough enough team because we don't do stupid things after the whistle.

If we could score on our powerplays then my arguement would be a bit more valid, yes I understand that, but at the same time ESPECIALLY since we need to score goals and win games, trying to send a message to the other team not to mess with our players isn't the best thing to do in my opinion. Why not refer to the game in Philadelphia when Schenn hit one of their guys (not sure who it was), and Asham comes out of nowhere and cross checks him in the throat and gets suspended for 4 games.. is that the type of response we want? I'm a fan of the Canucks not only because they're the home town team, but also because of the way they play, and how compared to most other teams they're relatively classy. Anyways that's just my take on things.

Guest BuckFoston

The Brown incident is just one of many. Ok, suppose it's a clean hit and they didn't send a message this time. What about all the OTHER times? They had no answer for Boston so much so that even Thomas decided he could get away with hitting the twins and trash talking Keith really didn't do anything.

Asham looked like a fool and so did every other Penguin that day. Flyers aren't intimidated by anyone. Good for them.

Even after the whole Weber ordeal Babcock said they are not built to fight and send messages, but Bert took it upon himself to scrum with Shea anyway. All we get is Lapierre, Kesler, and Kassian yapping at opponents through the glass. Not only do they not walk the walk, they can't even talk the talk.

I agree completely. Personally, I don't even get why people say they didn't send a message. Bieksa and Burrows both stood up for Henrik, and Bieksa threw a nasty hip check into Brown later. So I feel the message was sent.

People just want them to hurt the players that initiated it, but what they don't realize at first is consequences are severe in the playoffs, suspensions are to be avoided at all costs, so players aren't exactly going to go beat the crap out of say Brown, because he hit Henrik.

If we were leading 2-0, I'm pretty sure Bieksa would have thrown some punches instead of just giving him a hug.

But we weren't leading 2-0, we were down 2-0 in the series at that point we couldn't afford to take a penalty.

I agree completely. Personally, I don't even get why people say they didn't send a message. Bieksa and Burrows both stood up for Henrik, and Bieksa threw a nasty hip check into Brown later. So I feel the message was sent.

People just want them to hurt the players that initiated it, but what they don't realize at first is consequences are severe in the playoffs, suspensions are to be avoided at all costs, so players aren't exactly going to go beat the crap out of say Brown, because he hit Henrik.

I wholeheartedly agree. The Canucks woes are defensive lapses and a scoring dry patch that came at exactly the wrong time, coupled with other issues that we could analyze to death. I don't see lack of team toughness as an issue. Bieksa and Lapierre for sure have been sending the message.

However slim the chances may be, let's cross our fingers for a 4-0 turnaround. But, support our guys whatever may be.

There's a time and a place for "sending a message".

When I saw Henrik get levelled and then struggle to get up afterwards, I was hoping someone would rip Brown's head off immediately. I mean, this is your Captain and one of your best players - do something.

But then I thought about the situation. It was 0-0 and we were already down 0-2 in the series. If we retaliated and ended up getting the only penalty, we as fans would probably be angry about that too. When Torres ran over Hossa today, Bollig went and defended him and ending up getting a penalty and a 10 minute misconduct. If that happened to Bieksa or Burrows - I would be pretty upset.

It's kind of an iffy situtation in my opinion.

As for sending a message in tomorrow's game, here's what Brown had to say on being a marked man: "..I think they understand if they're running after me, it's probably not going to help them."

I don't know why in today's NHL that anytime a clean hit happens, the other team wants to fight. If it's a clean hit, you have to suck it up. The way to send the message is to score on powerplays. This will make the other team think twice about being overly physical and stepping over the edge.

When Henrik Sedin got hit by Dustin Brown, which in my opinion was a perfectly clean hit, the common response from an abundance of analysts, CDC members, and many other fans was that we didn't come up with a response and send a message to the other team to not mess with our star player and our captain. Now, I'm all for playing a physical game within the rules as well as making it clear that the other team shouldn't be messing with your best players. However, when we're down 2-0 in a series, what sense is there in responding and sending a "message" to the other team? I really don't understand why people are so worked up about how we're not a tough enough team because we don't do stupid things after the whistle. If we could score on our powerplays then my arguement would be a bit more valid, yes I understand that, but at the same time ESPECIALLY since we need to score goals and win games, trying to send a message to the other team not to mess with our players isn't the best thing to do in my opinion. Why not refer to the game in Philadelphia when Schenn hit one of their guys (not sure who it was), and Asham comes out of nowhere and cross checks him in the throat and gets suspended for 4 games.. is that the type of response we want? I'm a fan of the Canucks not only because they're the home town team, but also because of the way they play, and how compared to most other teams they're relatively classy. Anyways that's just my take on things.

I don't know why in today's NHL that anytime a clean hit happens, the other team wants to fight. If it's a clean hit, you have to suck it up. The way to send the message is to score on powerplays. This will make the other team think twice about being overly physical and stepping over the edge.

late hit imo. a penalty play, but not a mis-conduct or suspension by any means. i agree it was handled correctly though, especially considering our personal. if anyone tried to fight brown, he wouldnt have answered the bell anyway. best just to get him back legally, a hockey play, like bieksa did... just maybe seventeen more times hehe. henrik getting back up and returning to the ice though, is the toughest retaliation (not to mention possibly the most intimidating) available.

are u fricking kidding? good luck with that, do you need directions back to broke back mountain?

ps brown delivers some of the hardest, clean hits, deal with it crybabies. unlike your cheap shot bitz and company trying to run guys, brown will hit you clean and square off with you if he has too. burrows and all your visor wearing tuff guys can suck it,

are u fricking kidding? good luck with that, do you need directions back to broke back mountain?

ps brown delivers some of the hardest, clean hits, deal with it crybabies. unlike your cheap shot bitz and company trying to run guys, brown will hit you clean and square off with you if he has too. burrows and all your visor wearing tuff guys can suck it,

I agree with the OP completely

somehow I always wish for a Asham/Schenn hit but as soon as the hit happens I realize how stupid and unnecessary it was.

I'm actually proud and surprised that the Canucks players contain their anger and are focused on the game. we need clean hits, not injuries and suspensions. I'd feel ashamed of my team if players ran around like Neal

Archived