The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Putting Kassian With The Twins?

This kind of crossed my mind when I was thinking about Daniel's potential return to the lineup for game 4. Here is my rationale:

- Protection: With the type of injuries that Daniel's had, the Kings are almost for sure going to be taking runs at the poor guy just to see if he's fully healed and maybe put him on the shelf for the rest of the series. Having a 6'4, 225 pound winger on that line would be a much better deterrant from that happening than Lappiere, Higgins, or Burrows, although it nothing would be able to eliminate this completely.

- Despite his size and the role that hes primarily played with the team, Kassian is a skilled player. In the games he's played in Vancouver, he's shown that he can skate, he's got the hands, and he is a defensively aware player. Besides, the Sedins are good enough that I feel like they wouldn't be affected too much by the dropoff between the skill levels of Kassian and Burrows. Just look at what Matt Cooke was able to do next to Crosby (with all due respect too Cookie, who has earned a new level of respect from me for cleaning his game up and being a more effective all-around player.

- Every succesful playoff team has a confident middle-6 or bottom-6 guy that steps up and makes a difference. A few goals or points alongside the Sedins may just be the boost that Kass needs to puff his chest out and make a difference. After all, he is built for playoff-styled hockey.

On a side note, I feel like someone from the coaching staff or even the front office should sit down with Eddie, give him a pep talk, and try to help him get his confidence back. Making more bad drop passes and taking more game-ending penalties isn't going to boost his confidence, and we're gonna need him to get going if we want to win.

That's all I have, thoughts?

P.S. Just threw down 10 bucks at 15:1 odds with my buddy that the Nucks will come back and win the series. If I lose it, so be it, small price to pay to be a fan. If I win the bet tho, I'll probably be sipping on Makers' Mark while watching the rest of the playoffs :towel::emot-parrot:

I always expected Kassian to play with the Sedins for that reason of protection. It's too bad that first Daniel and then Henrik get flattened, while Kassian is sitting on the bench. AV? what are you doing?

as a deterrent thats a gamble i would take...i like burr with kes to spark that line...im just glad booth and kes are apart.....what used to work hasnt for quite a while pre injuries.... i wish av would have practised this in the reg season when kassian first came...that was the real wasted opportunity in my eyes....

every other team but us tries their rookies...gives them a chance with their enthusiasm and gains them esteem and confidence...sad really

right now hes a liablitly, simply put hes just not ready for top 6 minutes. however you can limit his liabialty by giving him a big buff role on the powerplay that is just horrible right now. have him stand in front of the net and smack in any rebounds, its a powerply so for the most part what could he do to mess it up at that job. quick gets annoyed and the sedins work their magic and point shots from elder and salo will get through

You want to gamble on a player who's proven absolutely nothing, in the biggest game of the Canucks' season? No thanks, I'll stick with the guy who has 4 straight 25+ goal seasons and a history of scoring clutch goals - the guy wearing #14.

I'd be okay with it for a shift or two just to provide some "security" presence for the twins incase any Kings wanna take liberties..but honestly thats Burrows' spot...not even Booth is gonna be as efficient...and given the magnitude of tomorrows game I think they should stick to what works 22-33-14

right now hes a liablitly, simply put hes just not ready for top 6 minutes. however you can limit his liabialty by giving him a big buff role on the powerplay that is just horrible right now. have him stand in front of the net and smack in any rebounds, its a powerply so for the most part what could he do to mess it up at that job. quick gets annoyed and the sedins work their magic and point shots from elder and salo will get through

Archived